1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Need advice on a new build please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Poggy, 3 Jul 2012.

1. Poggy

Poggy What's a Dremel?

Hi,

First time poster here, read around a bit and you seem a helpful bunch. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I am in need of a new PC, and since I can either get a pre-built one for approx £950 or instead use some of my existing components and do it myself for £650ish I am going for the latter.

Here is what I intend to purchase:

I currently own:
    I am not sure of what questions to ask but I guess what I really need help with are:

1. Will all these parts work together, fit onto the motherboard and then onto the case I have?
    2. Is that a decent "almost" top end gfx card?
    3. Can anyone think of any changes that will improve the system but not increase the price unnecessarily.
    4. Are Asus better re-sellers of Radeon cards than Gigabtye (Scan and Ebuyer have different "brands" on offer and I dont know how to see which is best)

I am a bit out of my depth here, but I have built pc's before a few years back so should be ok once the purchasing decisions are made.

Thanks again.

2. NachoMachoMan

NachoMachoMan What's a Dremel?

Hey Poggy, i'm fairly new but in the same boat building a pc of my own. so i'll try to help with what little knowledge i have.
    Your components will work together, main thing to look for is the CPU socket which is lg1155 and to match that with the same socket on your mobo. i'm not quite sure what the z77/p67 etc refers to but i know its compatible :p.
    The GPU is a good choice I'm personally steering towards nvidia but I'm not sure on the differences. I've read nvidia do a better job of their drivers.
    ATI HD 7970 Series
    ATI HD 7950 Series
    ATI HD 7800 Series
    ATI HD 7700 Series
    ATI HD 6900 Series
    ATI HD 6600 Series
    ATI HD 6500 Series
    ATI HD 6400 Series
    ATI HD 5000 Series
    There's a list of hierarchy copied straight from OC.uk so the 7850 is fairly near the top. As for upgrades if you'r looking to play games i've been told spend bit more on the GPU so around £200, maybe a gtx660 or hd 7950 but obviously that would mean more money.
    Another option would be to possibly sell a HDD and get a SSD which would improve boot time and loading times (i think) of your most played games.
    As for the re-sellers i've absolutely no clue :confused: some have higher clockspeeds and what not but i'm not sure.

hope i've been of some help with the little i know. And if you know any little tips or tricks of your own please share! :D

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

1. Yea that case will take atx (that mobo you selected is this size) and matx (smaller) ok.
    2. Yes thats a top end gpu. Generally the first number is the generation, the second is the performance within that generation. Use AnandTech's bench to compare cards.
    3. Could go for a cheaper case and mobo if you want. Also check out www.pcpartpicker.com/UK/ it will help you find the cheapest prices etc.
    4. Asus and Gigabyte are both good companies. Pick what ever based on price, cooler attached, power options(may take a bit of research and important if you wanna overclock) and warenty.

4. shah

shah Minimodder

Hey welcome to the Forum! :D

All looks fine with your build but you might want to consider the following:

I would say pick up a Samsung 830 256gb SSD while they are in stock. ~£150 at Scan.

Graphics card should be fine at 1920*1080. You might want to read this review: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2012/11/05/msi-radeon-hd-7850-1gb-review/1

Will you be overclocking your system? if not you can go with a chip without the "K" and get a H77 mobo as it will save a few pounds.

5. Poggy

Poggy What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

Not sure what happened here but I posted that in July and it has only now appeared on the forum?

At any rate, thanks for all your comments. In the end I got pretty much exactly what I said in the OP and it worked perfectly. Runs everything maxed out on my 1920*1280 monitor including Far Cry 3 (with less than full AA).

Really loving the system, so if anyone else is out there wondering along the lines of a similar spec I can recommend it completely.

Thanks again