1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need sugestions - Socket a Mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Impossible, 24 May 2004.

1. Impossible

Impossible What's a Dremel?

My epox 8k5a2+ has died, will not power on at all!

i need a replacement quite sharpish as im at a lan party this weekend.

Now, i know epox uk still sell these mobos direct, but i was thinking of going for a upgrade.

Does anyone know of any nf2 mobos that has pata raid (not sata because my raid set is ide, which is backed up so the raid controller does not have to be the same as the old mobo) and has the four mounting holes around the socket with availiblity in the uk?

so just to recap, would like recomendations for

socket a mobo
    pata raid
    four mounting holes around cpu socket
    in the uk before thursday (lan party ;)

I hope someone out there can help, i really would like to jump on the nf2 wagon with my amd cpu.

Thanks

Imp

2. J453

J453 What's a Dremel?

i would suggest the DFI Lanparty Rev B, and make sure its the rev B as the A doesnt have mounting holes. Id recommend the Abit NF7-S but its sata not pata raid.. good fragging in ur lanparty too :thumb:

3. Impossible

cheers for the fast responce.

the b revison of the lanparty i have looked at does not have pata raid, you are correct in the mounting holes.

I think i may have to go for a standard sata raid mobo with sata > pata adaptors. anyone used these adaptos and can comment on them?

Imp

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Ive used the SATA > PATA adapter that came with my NF7-S just to try it out, it worked fine, no noticable difference in speed.

PS - each needs a power supply, floppy type connector.

5. Impossible

yeah, i knew them adaptors uses fdd conectors for power, just looked and my psu only has a single fdd plug. GAH!!!

im looking into the NF7-S atm, it only comes with one adaptor tho?

Imp

6. olv

olv he's so bright

i've not used them personally but know of people who have without any issues, there isn't really much that could go wrong.

A few points though, bearing in mind that you need to be ready for the LAN this weekend i wouldn't recommend getting a DFI board. Although a lot of users have zero problems with them and they are great motherboards, too many people do have big issues with the infinity and lanparty boards. The worst way to spend a LAN party is getting pissed off with defunct hardware that makes it impossible for you to play. DFI make great boards if you've got time to sort them out and get them running right, but time isn't on your side, although if you ordered now you can have one tomorrow. But its your call.

Also, unless you stick with the same chipset then it is very unlikely you will just be able to plug in your current windows drive and boot straight into windows. Especially as it sounds like it's a raid config.

If you want any kind of stability going for VIA to nforce you will need to format and reinstall windows or you'll be plagued by instability and BSODs (if you can even get into windows)

For speed, stability and just damn toughness you can't beat the Abit NF7-S.

Hope this helps.

7. Impossible

Thanks for the responce olv, i understand that jumping chipset with out a reinstall is very dirty to the os. I agree with you that if i do find a mobo with pata raid on, just simply plugging in my pata drives into it and hoping it will boot into windows (even with the same northbridge) is slim working 100%

atm, a reinstall is the least of my worries ;)

i think the path for me to take is finding a good nf2 mobo (looks like the NF7-S at due to price) and using either a pci pata raid card (looks around 35 quid) or the native sata raid with adaptors. so the damage on my wallet is around 75 quid atm (mobo + pata>sata) adaptor, which is around 30 quid less than any of the dfi lanpartys.

Keep posting your opions lads, your making the situration seam alot better.

(btw i didnt say in my original post is that i watercool and the setup will have to be moved to the new mobo (cpu,nb,gfx and two hd's with a manifold dont leave much space!!!)

Imp

8. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

You won't be able to run a VIA windows install on an nForce2 board, it just won't boot. You'll hit "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" BSODs when starting Windows. Only option is a reinstall, if you installed over the top of your old one you could probably cut down the time needed.