1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays New Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oasked, 1 Mar 2008.

1. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a new LCD monitor to replace my existing BenQ FP937S+ (19" 1280x1024). I'm very tempted by the new Dell 2408WFP, but I am unsure about a few things.

1. Is the text smaller than on a 19" LCD? At the moment I like the larger text size on a 19" LCD rather than on a 17" as it is easier on the eyes. Will the clarity of the Dell make up for this?

2. Could I use the 19" comfortably with the Dell at the same time? Would the different pixel sizes work well next to each other?

3. Would I be better off getting one 22" LCD or even two for less than the cost of the Dell? With a 22" the pixels are around the same size as my current 19" and I could get a 2 or even 3 screen setup (using my current screen) for the same price as the Dell.

4. Gaming. Is it better off staying with a smaller screen if you can't afford two of the latest graphics cards in SLI?

Thanks for the advice guys. :)

2. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Not really. But you could always just use a lower resolution of course, if you found text difficult to read.

They'd certainly "work" - in a broad sense. But they'd look very... erm... 'different' :D
    A 19" and a 22" wouldn't be quite so bad... but I personally prefer to (/do) use screens of the same size - if not the exact same make/model (as mine are).

It depends on whether you have a use for two monitors?
    Many people who use a dual monitor setup, say they'd never (willingly) go back to a single monitor - even if it was a bigger one.
    But others prefer to use a single, larger screen... primarily those who don't like/need to have various programs running at the same time -
    i.e. gaming on one monitor, whilst browsing the internet/reading forum posts on the other (in other words... 'multi-tasking').

I've never compared them, but I reckon a pair of 22" screens, would require a card with a bit more 'oomph', than that required to run a single 24" monitor?
    That would certainly be the case, if you wanted to run both 22" screens in the same high resolutions as a single 24" - i.e. whilst gaming.

At the end of the day, which is the "better" option, is a matter of opinion/a personal choice.
    Desk space is another factor to take into consideration as well of course, but the fact you're asking for opinions in the first place, would suggest space isn't a problem?
    If you'd make use of the second monitor for anything other than 'just' dual-screen gaming goodness, then get two 22".
    If you'd be unlikely to utilise the second screen for multi-tasking... then I'd suggest a single 24" might be the better option... for now at least?
    You'd always have the option to treat yourself to another 24" at a later date :D

Thing is... if you got a pair of 22" screens, and got so you couldn't go back to a single screen again either...
    you'd have to buy a pair of monitors at the same time, should you decide you wanted bigger screens in the future!
    Buying one larger 24" screen just now, leaves the door open for you to buy another as/when you can afford it... should you want to :idea:

Decisions decisions, eh :p

3. oasked

Thanks for the input, yeah this is a tough one for me. Ideally I'd like a pair of 30" inch screens, but that is just not going to happen. :)

What screens do you have BTW?

Last edited: 2 Mar 2008
  4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

2x 24" Dell 2407FPW, on either side of a 24'' BenQ FP241WZ... running through a Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital :hip:

I just ruined your day... right :D

5. oasked

*******. :p

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I think you just ruined my wallet, as it seems you've come up the solution to my dilemma regarding a Mac Mini.

Damn you.

7. oasked

Dammit, I just bought a Dell 2408WFP. £426, but it is going be very shiney. :D

8. Zargon

Zargon Master of the Universe

Good choice not to go for a 22". All 22" monitors have a panel type called TN which is considered by many to be a poor panel technology. I'm 99% sure the Dell you just bought does not have a TN panel.

Tags: