1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: TIE Bomber)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's the camera angle or not, but the proportions of that model look a bit wrong to me. It looks too tall.

2. Pete J

Pete J Unemployed dole scum

Almost there...

[​IMG]

There are some black stickers which are supposed to go on the back of the model, but they didn't peel off the backing material right and as a result, the 'stickyness' isn't there. I might look into getting some Pritt stick, but to be honest it may look better without them.

Anyway, should get the doors, engine cover and bonnet finished tomorrow!

It's not quite right and certainly not to minifig scale, but I just liked the fact that it had a remote controlled turret!

3. Pete J

Disaster strikes! Although some bits were missing, I was able to cover this by using parts meant for other models. However, I need four trans-clear blocks for the wing mirrors and the seller gave the wrong parts. So, another little order and hopefully the Lambo will be ready in the next few days...

I also tried to use a glue stick on the black stickers that were supposed to go on the rear wheel arches, but the glue wasn't sufficient to hold down the thin tapered parts, and frankly didn't actually look that good. I had to spend a little while getting rid of glue finger prints though.

In the meantime, I've decided to get on with the TIE Bomber as I should have all the parts for that.

4. Pete J

TIE Bomber underway...

[​IMG]

5. Pete J

The Centenario is complete!

[​IMG]

An excellent model.

PROS:
    • Exceptionally accurate representation of the car itself - more so than official Lego sets are.
    • Really satisfying and clever gear change mechanism.
    • Doors open just like the real thing.
    • Easily converted to right hand drive.
    • Instructions are very clear (though there are a couple of stages where you need to look ahead to figure the exact positioning of a part).
    CONS:
    • More fragile compared to official Lego sets. I knocked a couple of bits off transferring it to its display shelf. I would hate to move it to another house.
    • No reverse gear.
    • Much more expensive than official Lego sets, though this is more down to the nature of MOC building - I'd expect it to cost the same as the Sian if it was official.
    • Door opening mechanism is quite stiff and tends to build up torque before 'springing' open - a price that probably has to be paid to keep the mechanism compact and hidden.
    • Although this could be considered a pro point, the building is complex and HAS TO BE DONE RIGHT. There were times I had to walk away for a few minutes as it was starting to test my patience.
    I've said it before, but this is definitely the best Lego model I've ever built, even over the Star Destroyer.

11/10