Project: Bio-Mech I decided to start another project. I've been toying with On the Fly just to keep busy, but decided I wanted to dig into something a little more my style. Something I can really sink my teeth into. I had picked up an Ultra Aluminus a while back for $30. I had already had some ideas for the inside and starting hacking the case about two months ago. The first thing I did was rip that Ultra logo plate off and then removed the hard drive rack. However, due to the design of this case, the hard drive rack provided support for the case as you can see, it was still relatively strong though. But I still needed to secure those u-channel supports, so I cut some pieces from the bottom of the hard drive rack I had removed. For now this case will be air cooled, however, down the road I will be water cooling, so my plan is to ditch those little supports and make a solid plate that I will eventually be able to mount a reservoir to. One thing about this case I noticed right away was how light it was. It's the lightest case I have ever come across. You can lift it with a pinky... I really wanted to start the front panel though, this is the more artistic part and something I'm a bit more used to. I'm still a fledgling case modder. I've been playing with ideas here and there. Making sketches with pen and paper. Then I remembered I had a mirror in a box somewhere that was quite unique and made from resin. So I went ahead and cut this from it. I'm a big fan of H.R. Giger even since I first saw Alien when I was 13 at a rerelease showing in 1982. I love his bio-mechanical style and did a super quick sketch for my idea. From the sketch it's hard to tell my full idea about the 3D effect this will have, and since I didn't want to waste too much time sketching and get right down to the nitty gritty, let's have a look at what I have done so far. I hope you'll get a better idea of what I am going for. There will most likely be some changes to the sketch, I like to draw ideas out of the back of my dark, cobweb filled brain as I go. I needed a blow hole in the bottom center of the case and I was going to have to eliminate those ribs. The door on this will be totally eliminated (didn't shut right anyway). So I stripped down the front. I then cut out the area to make the blow hole. I did end up rounding it out more, but I kept forgetting to take pics throughout my work ('cause I'm tho thmart ) Since this needed to be 3D, I needed to bring the blow hole outward, I used one of those side panel ducts we've all seen. Glued it in place with plastic epoxy bond. Next I had to fill those rib areas. I washed the panel down and I started out with Great Stuff expanding foam so that the bondo had something to set on. While that was drying, I started to work on the top part of the panel, again, because I'm tho thmart, I forgot to take some pics. I used good ol' MDF for this. The skeleton needed to be resessed. Here you see how I cut the form of the body (it's mis-shaped a bit because the body of the skeleton is and has a pony tail down the back), I test fit the piece. It's not exact fit, but that won't matter much as it will all be filled with bondo and eventually sculpting clay. Dropped the skeleton in to get an idea here. As you can see, I hacked the arms off, I'll fill you in on how that is going to go tomorrow hopefully. Here you can see I cut the holes for single optical drive, power and resest switches and secured the mdf to the panel with some small lag screws. Once the foam was dry I cut it away flush with the panel, again, forgot some pics, but you get the idea. Here you can see the first layer of bondo applied And finally for now, a bit of sanding and a little more bondo. I also dropped the skeleton in one more time for a quick look-see because I'm anal. Only the sides of the panel need to be smooth really. I will be doing plenty of sculpting, hopefully start tomorrow. Since I can't bake it because it would melt the plastic panel, I'll be using either Sculpt-It or Crayola air drying clay, whichever the store has in stock when I make my run tomorrow. I'll also be using some Milliput epoxy putty and it'll be nice and messy. I'll also show some ideas for the inside and side panel(s) tomorrow depending on how much time I can spend on the project. Hope you likey so far. Any and all suggestions and feedback welcome. And if you can think of a better name for this project, let me know, I'm not too sure about the one I'm using. Cheers.