1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project MacRack :: New Project :: First Sketchups

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by my58vw, 16 Mar 2004.

1. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Project MacRack

Hello Bit-Tech::

This is my second project in addition to Project Fast Mod which is still going on...

I have always wanted my own rack server setup but I find that the stuff that is on the market that I can buy does not fit the bill in design and convience. I went to my local apple store and fell in love with the new apple server but my heart sank when I saw the price. I decided that I would make a rack that has the character of this unit with the components of a modern pc.

This project will be in three parts...
    1. Build 2 1U side rack units from stratch and get them in service
    2. Build a 3U storage raid unit for file storage.
    3. Build a cabiniet that will hold the racks.

This is a big project and will take some time but like with my other current project I will take you through it as I do. I hope that this is a unique project with challages along the way. Remeber that the 1U chassis is only 19 by 1.7 inches... Lets get started.

Here are some sketchups that I did to design the case. The demensions are correct for the 1U size...

[​IMG]

This is the front of the case... look familiar? It will if you are a mac person or have seen the new apple servers. It is a replica front with some of my own personal touches... You will notice two main inlets on either side of the square sections. These are air ducts to send cold air to the mid fans that will blow air onto the mainboard and components.

[​IMG]

Here is the back of the chasis. You will notice three hard disks and a CDROM in the front of the divider. The hard disks will be in custom enclosures made from normal 5 1/4 inch hard disk carriers. They will be accessable by lifting the top lid and slidding them in. They will be in a raid configuration in two drives and a single drive for the OS. The divider has 4 40 mm server fans that blow onto the atx mainboard. I may plan on adding a riser card but that is not in the picture yet. You can also see the 1U powersupply and the air vents in the back.

I hope to start on the fabrication real soon. Right now I am looking for sugestions. I know that the colors are sketchup default colors and I did not intend to take extra time for colors right now. The detail colors will come later.

The square sections are hard drive cariers. I will talk about them in a sec. I wil use a slim slot loading cdrom in the corner and the unique vents in the top to provide even more air to the small case.

This project is in no way related to apple computer or to the Xserve line of apple servers and products. I am in no way affiliated with apple or the xserve line of computers.

Time to Mod! :dremel:

Last edited: 16 Mar 2004
  2. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

why not put the harddrives in hot-swappable bay's, like the ones you can already buy?

3. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

The whole case needs to be custom and I am going for a particular look for the front. The hard disk bays are not 5/1/4, they are 4.5 inches wide...

Did I mention I did not like premodded...

4. 1st time modder

I dont like pre-modded either but since you have another project going on i thought it would help.

You know those VCR cheap rewinder things (where you push them down then they spring up to reveal the tape slot). How about doing something like that to access/remove the harddrives?

5. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

That would be intersting, or those lego things that they use in the floppy stelth mod that it on bit-tech. The case needs a lot of development and this project is going to take some time... quite some time.

Keep the ideas coming.

6. 1st time modder

you could mount the racks like this:

\
    /
    except they would be at a much more gradual angle so they look more like this:
    >
    It would allow airflow to enter/exit the tops of both racks and it would make it look not-normal.

7. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

this looks hella-cool...always interesting when someone does something diffrent...there are so many........case mods...they are awsome,but sometimes, the diffrence is welcomed....well, good luck, and since i am on at school, i will get off before i get expelled...

8. mcbeckel

mcbeckel What's a Dremel?

It will be nice to see this one completed...apple usually has nice cases and the Xserve is definitely one of them.

9. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

sounds good
    I will keep watching to see how it goes

good luck :thumb: :dremel:

10. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I'm not really too familiar with macs, but I do really like the sketchup designs. Especially on this case. :thumb:

11. 1st time modder

as part of the server housing rack you could attach an 17-19" LCD screen like how they have it on those new imac's

12. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

oh and a pull out keyboard :)

13. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Nice! That should be pretty cool. What material are you going to make it out of?? I have a 5U case for my main rig, and am working on building a custom rack to mount it in, so I can't wait to see your plans.

If you are interested, I have an XServer that I can get measurements/pictures of inside and out if you were curious to what Apple is doing.

Can't wait to see this when you start construction! :thumb:

14. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Looks like this will be a nice project :)

JavaDog post the pics I'd love to see them :)

15. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Already loving it! mmm....g5 server, so sexy :naughty:

btw, know what parts your using?

16. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Will do, don't want to thread-jack though, so if my58vw prefers, I could put them in their own thread...

17. Jewno

Jewno industrial designer

Whoa, nice project! Keep me tuned! :clap:

18. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

it's a challenge! :D

19. 1st time modder

ahhh i found it here

the only problem is they dont specify how much they are. :(

20. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?