1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick speed camera question

Discussion in 'General' started by pranks7er, 28 May 2007.

1. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

ok i accidently was doin 40 i think in a 30 and i seen a police car with hairdryer i breaked to 32 do u think id be ok, can them hair dryers issure fines same was as the fixed ones or f the cops want u they chase u?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As far as I know you'll find a ticket on your doormat if you've got one - slowing down probably didn't help either, they're very long-range, and if you can see them, they can see you.

On the other hand, you might find that it's just a scary moment and nothing comes of it. I had one a while ago going through a speed camera at some lights too fast (that camera wasn't on at the time), I'd not even noticed until it was too late either!

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

won't the police guys with portable radar guns stop you there and then?

(also most speedos are overcalibrated to show 10%-ish more than your actual speed... so 32 should be fine.)

4. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

well the law for a SPEEDAR handheld device is that the operator has to be outside the vehicle this was two men in white shirts what looked liek an unmarked police car, iand i didnt notice anything in their hands at time maybe they were jsut waiting or not even police at all, i have always believe them radars catch u and then they radio a scout car which chases u down.

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Remember you're allowed 10% over the speed limit anyway. (I think)

So 33 in a 30 zone
    55 for 50
    etc.

6. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

thats wat i think casue its only a handheld yoke

also they were sitting right on the enterance to a 60mph zone!! ah well wait and see

7. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

"Drivers caught by roadside radar and laser guns and stopped by police officers at the scene are likely to be offered a 'fixed penalty' of a £40 fine and three penalty points added to their driving licence (legal totting up procedure: 12 points = disqualification)".

pheww i think i should be ok no one chased me ahahha

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't think they do always stop you, I saw some gits sitting just where the speed limit changed from 60 to 30 and were tagging as many people as they could as they went past.

They could've just been there to make people slow down as they moved from one speed limit to the other, but I doubt it somehow.

9. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

You arent allowed it, thats the threshold they use so they dont muck up and give people tickets who dont deserve them.

10. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

mm i dunno will jsut have wait see they may not even be police im jsut worried incase they are ahha i need my 60 quid ahhah

11. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

i know im prob worrying over nothing and if i hear nothin in 2 weeks im ok

but i read this for all who may be curious

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/safetycameras/pg_other_detection_measures.htm

In addition to safety cameras, PSNI have a range of speed detection equipment, including:

LASER - a hand-held or tripod-mounted speed-measuring device capable of pinpointing vehicles up to one kilometre away. Officers use it to identify speeding vehicles that are then flagged down and dealt with at the roadside. There are some 70 laser devices currently in use in Northern Ireland.

RADAR - a hand-held speed measuring device. Again officers use it to identify speeding vehicles that are then flagged down and dealt with at the roadside. There are some 55 radar devices currently in use in Northern Ireland.

12. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Christ :worried:

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You know, if people have the bravado to speed, perhaps they should have the bravado to deal with the consequences. If you want to speed, speed. If you get done, you get done. If you hit a kid, you hit a kid. Accept responsibility for your actions.

14. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

as if YOU have never accidently went over limit??? i didnt intentionally go out to speed like some people out there, but its them that get away with it!

15. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I know someone who had there dispute of speeding thrown out of court due to the speed cameras being unreliable at detecting speeds from such a far distance away, this was pointed out by the gentleman before this someone, and so all tickets that day from that camera over a certain distance were written off.

Thou i am told it was kinda obvious he was speeding at twice the limit ( in a 30 zone... ).
    He's a cock btw.

Also i thought it was 10% + 2mph? so in a 30 zone, 35?

16. furqan

furqan What's a Dremel?

he should've looked before jumping in front of a car with his earphone in his ears, oblivious to everything going on around him.

17. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Technically they can nick you if you're doing 31mph because you're breaking the speed limit. They generally allow a small tolerance for speedo error and speed camera/gun error, but I'm pretty sure they don't have to.

However most cars set the speedo to read either 10% or 3mph lower than actual depending on the car.

18. AndyDEL

AndyDEL What's a Dremel?

I work a fair distance way from my work, 40 miles. So it's quite a long commute each morning, occasional speed camera van sitting on the road side..

However i normally do about 80mph all the way, often had police cars up my rear for ages without noticing them. They never pull me. Never had a ticket either.

I think generally speeding to a certain extent is down to more factors than just the ammount you're speeding by.

If i'm in a 30 zone, i stay at 25/30. Mainly because it's normally built up areas and you don't want some kid throwing himself infront of my car. If i'm on a dual carriageway on my way home, 80 is fine, aslong as you drive sensibley. It's far more dangerous if you're speeding and ducking and diving out of other cars quickly, and to be honest. Reckless as hell.

Also cars today have come on over the years. Better breaks, Traction control etc..

I drive a VW Passat 03 1.9 TDi. Safe, reliable. I do 80mph and feel very in control of my car.

Some chav in a 15 year old Corsa doing 80mph ducking and diving out of traffic. Those are the people i think police officers really wanna pull. Also ones who stupidly speed in built up areas.

Thats just my opinion.

Then again the law is the law, break it and live with the consquences of your actions :). The government doesn't make much out of speed cameras, then the profits are just plowed back into force which can't be a bad thing. Especially as it reduces speed.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I do. Often quite deliberately (in both senses of the word). And I accept the possible consequences.
    Yeah, because all eight-year olds have the road sense of an adult.

Children have no road sense. If you can't deal, don't drive.

20. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

its weird here in north speed limit on motorways is 70mph but in republic is 120kmph which is 75 mph sometimes u forget and as u say depends on who pulls u over