1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Shuttle fan speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scrumble, 11 Jan 2007.

1. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

Is there any software out there that can control the speed of the shuttle fans? You can adjust the speed in BIOS but I'd like to be able to change it when its running, and without fitting a fanbus.

In theory the 'smartfan' should be fine, but the constant flicking between high and low speeds is pretty annoying.

2. riggs

riggs ^_^

Hehe, that used to annoy the crap outta me! Trying to sleep while d/ling, and all I can hear is a constant "hummm-vrooom-hummm-vrooom"!

Speedfan is your friend.

3. iddqd

iddqd What's a Dremel?

You can also set it to specific speeds in the BIOS, just leave it on "Extra LOW" and take the shroud off :p

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

that depends on what ihe is running in the shuttle, if he has a P4 extreme edition, turning to extra low would kill the core!!

turn auto off and use a mid-range setting on the fan. At least you can get use to a constant hum, instead of a hmmmmmmmmmmmmm- vrommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, every two minutes.

5. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

Tried speedfan (when crappy NTL finally let me get on the net for long enough), but it doesn't seem able to change the fan speeds. I'll have tinker and see if I'm missing something.

As for taking off the shroud click the link in my sig, Leyton doesn't exactly have much of a problem with airflow :D

6. duc

duc What's a Dremel?

Does the XPC Tools app support your Shuttle? It allows for the same fan speed options as in the bios.

7. da-dude

da-dude What's a Dremel?

Use a zalman rheobus - connect it to the cpu fan and then just twiddle the knob when its annoying you. Then all you need is speedfan to monitor ur temperatures so nothing dies

8. duc

duc What's a Dremel?

That might not work, Shuttles now use PWM fans.

9. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

IF your shuttle is anything like mine then you should be able to set the threasholds for each fan speed in the bios avoiding the vroom VROOMM problem.

Tags: