1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding speaker amp???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jamesdta, 16 Aug 2004.

1. jamesdta

jamesdta What's a Dremel?

how do you make a amp for two small computer speakers? they are jus speakers no power no volume....... thanks

2. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

there are various little kits around that will do that job, try dicksmith, radioshack and other places like that for kits, or you could google it

3. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

I use an old Rotel amp that I got from eBay for about £25 to power two excessively large (for computer use) speakers. But I do tend to use my PC to listen to music alot, so it made sense to do that.

You could try something similar, a lowish powered amp to drive them, easier than making one, but I guess that's half the fun.

4. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

i actually have an old pioneer stereo running from my main computer, which is a beast, i still think that it is the best stereo ever, even tho it is over 10 years old

for my other machine i have a 200w car amp powering stereo speakers, which sounds great, lots of bass, but these probably would not be suitable for you

5. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

Where are you sourcing the 12v supply (I assume its 12, coming from a car) for that amp Blackman?

6. jamesdta

how would you power that car amp?

7. Mombassaa

Mombassaa What's a Dremel?

Car batery :D

8. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

10 years old? pfft. Rotel amp made sometime in the 70's by the styling of it, sounds absolutely fantastic...

9. jamesdta

how do you power the amp with out the car!

10. Xgamer

Xgamer What's a Dremel?

I'd say any 12 volt power supply with enough amps. Something like this maybe? A regular PC power supply might even work.

11. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

i had it running from my computer psu, but i decided to have a seperate powersupply for it because the psu in the computer already had enough stress on it.

i had an old at 300w psu lying around so i hacked it so it only had 12v out and a power led so that i can see if it is on, i also changed the switch so that it is in the psu now, it does the job good but i tested it with the multimeter when i was making it and it said the 12v rail was only at 10.2v so i will be changing it again, otherwise i could ruin the amp.