1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sprocket's New Home

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by clocker, 6 Aug 2004.

1. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

thats looking cool mate

2. chrono

chrono What's a Dremel?

Looking very good! What I wouldn't give to get my hands on a monster case like that! :hehe:

*subscribed*

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Hehe my friend's dog's called sprocket -- He's much smaller than this case though.

Looking good :thumb:

ch424

4. fishthecat

fishthecat What's a Dremel?

Fraggle Rock

Wasn't the dog from Fraggle Rock called Sprocket? Great name.

Nice mounting BTW! :thumb:

5. Beatbox

Beatbox What's a Dremel?

If you think that taking the case from this to this isn't much then I can't wait to see all the other ideas you have!
    Great work - keep on :dremel:.

6. PirateTheMeep

PirateTheMeep What's a Dremel?

Awesome ideas, that mounting is soooo cool.

7. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Mini-update time, boys and girls.

Again, this is one of those reports where the visible progress does not accurately reflect the amount of time it took to get here.
    Oh well.

Turns out, mounting the PSU was more involved than I had planned.
    Owners of the NF7 motherboard will immediately identify with my dilemma...the damn ATX and supplementary CPU power headers are in a very awkward place, made even worse by my somewhat odd motherboard orientation.
    Much head scratching later ( I nearly went bald) I finally figured out how to lay the PSU in place and route the cables acceptably, but naturally this involved some mods to the PSU itself.
    I had to route the ATX cable out of the (old) top of the unit and turn the PSU on it's side, but in the end all worked out according to plan.
    This Aspire power supply also has a handy fan control rheostat, but it's stupidly placed on the back of the unit, so I took the opportunity to rewire it and the control will ultimately end up on the front panel with all the other fan switches.
    Here is the interior as it sits tonight...
    [​IMG]
    The blue tinted see-through top of the PSU adds a bit of visual pizazz to the interior and the LED fans will add a bit of bling also.

The visually acute amongst you will also note one other visual change...
    Yes!
    The HDD cradle and mobo mounting rods are now black, thanks to the "mystery tubing" I had previously mentioned.
    The tubing not only saves me from painting the rods, but also acts as spacers/retainers for the clamps...the drives no longer can slide up and down the rails and the motherboard clamps are held in position also.
    This is a good thing.

Typically it seems that this would be about the time that folks would include a picture of their cat (or whatever cute, fuzzy mammal was nearest at hand) with their project.
    I don't have a pet.

So I let my faithful coffee cup check out Sprocket's new case...
    [​IMG]
    Coincidentally, this also shows the motherboard mount rods in all their ebon glory.

The mug was impressed, BTW, but now my trusty Zippo is intensely jealous.

Still to do before I can begin the cooling prototyping is finalizing the placement of the floppy drive.
    I know I keep harpng on this seemingly minor item, but in fact it is a big deal due to the placement of the connector on the board.
    It's all the way in the bottom lefthand corner, and putting the drive up in the bays would force me to string an ugly cable all over the place.

I have a couple of ideas and now I'm finally in the position of having to commit to one of them.
    I'm gonna sleep on it and see what happens.... :confused:

Last edited: 21 Aug 2004
  8. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

Looks nice i'm still diging the mobo mounts and Hard drive mounts.

9. chrono

chrono What's a Dremel?

I couldn't get past reading "lubrication" on the cup. I started cracking up :hehe:

Anyway, great work!

10. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Hi guys.

First post from my new home.
    Clocker Frankensteined me together just to see what the new heatsink was like.
    No shrouds or anything fancy, just the Torin blower aimed at the Aerocool.
    Kinda tickles my nether regions, really.
    With the blower running on 12v ( out of a possible 24v) it is nearly dead silent.
    There are no system fans running at all, only the PSU fans ( on low).

Obviously, there are no sidepanels either.

MBM5 reports a board temp of 22C and a CPU temp of 31C ( at idle).

The blower is not positioned at all where I thought it was going to go...if I can convince the lazy ******* to experiment with some different placements maybe things will get a bit better, but he's so chuffed with himself that it could take a while.

Right now Clocker is preoccupied tweaking the Windows install on the new Raptor HDD, so he'll prolly leave me in this disgraceful state for a few hours.
    Maybe after dinner, sated by human food ( how do you people eat that stuff?), he'll be more amenable to my blandishments and we'll try some different blower layouts.

As you were.

11. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Hey Clocker, you're in Denver! Guess you'll still have to drive an hour to kick my ass for stealing your mounting idea.

Nice job on the case, if you put as much ingenuity into the outside as you did the inside then this is going to be very sharp.

Thanks to the projects name I now have the Fraggle Rock theme song bouncing through my head.

Dance your fears away,(clap clap) worries for another day...

12. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

That sounds like punishment enough for your intellectual property theft.

13. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

Nice mod man!!!

I always like seeing inventive and interesting ideas.

Good job!!

14. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Alrighty then...a few preliminary reports from the front.
    I've now got all the major hardware cobbled into place...no pics cause frankly, it looks like hell.
    Cables draped all over and slapdash power wiring to the roof fans.
    But at least she's up and running.

Among other things ( like the fresh Windows install ) I've been toying with different cooling fans.
    Surprisingly, a regular 92mm axial fan is outperforming the Torin blower by 1 degree.
    I think the Torin would be superior, but it's bulk makes it tough to get aligned with the heatsink to the best advantage.
    If I could get it under the heatsink blowing up, I think I'd be very happy, but I'm not sure how to go about this elegantly. I'd have to make a riser for the stock base and cut a hole in the floor.
    It's an intriguing idea...I'll have to ponder it.

The HDDs are my second issue.
    They are running about 15 C or so above the case temp.
    Honestly, I was hoping for better.
    I've given this some thought and come up with a variation of the current cradle that might be just the ticket.
    It won't be difficult to make, just time consuming, so that's my primary goal for this weekend.
    Obviously, all the hardware has to be in place before I can even think of wiring/cable management ( another nightmare job).

Have a good weekend all...enjoy the Olympics!

15. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

do what zappy did and solder the atx header on the back of the board :D
    stealth power o yeah :naughty:
    edit: you also have to change the atx connector around a bit
    edit2: case temps and hdd temp drop when the side panels are on(from my experience) should take that into concideration

16. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod What's a Dremel?

Brilliant!!! I love how you mounted your motherboard and hard drives!! i've been searching for a way to do that! I'm blown away by the genious and simplicity of it. And yes.. that case is HUGE! I can't wait to see what happens next to Sproket! :clap:
    Edit: keep in mind the case temp is dropping from the airflow of the entire case.. but for the most part that wont matter too much. But yes.. better airflow through a case does give it a better cooling advantage.

17. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Minor ( boring) update.

Past experience has taught me that it's best to do a test assembly and run the machine to work our any kinks before going nuts with permanent mods.
    For the past three days I've been doing just that, paying special attention to the cooling.

There are two specific areas I'm concerned with- the CPU ( obviously) and the HDDs.
    First, the drives.
    I have two drives, the SATA Raptor and my old IDE WD Caviar.
    Being my first Raptor I wasn't sure what to expect temp-wise.
    In order to keep the case wiring as neat as possible I was using the ABIT supplied "Serillel PATA to SATA" adaptor" on the Caviar.
    I was surprised as MBM5 reported the temp of the two drives was identical.
    No matter what...defragging the Raptor, etc....the temps stayed the same.
    Turns out, the Silicon Image SATA chip on the NF7-s only reports one temp...moving the Caviar to an IDE header showed the real story...the Raptor actually runs about 2-4 degrees hotter than the Caviar.

Not a big deal, but it took three days to figure out what was really going on and satisfy myself that my drive temps are within reason ( they average about 5 degrees over case temp).

Moving to the CPU I was in a similar situation.
    The Aerocool Deep Impact was new to me and I had no idea what to expect.
    Many different fan configurations later....I still don't.
    I can't seem to generate any logical conclusions out of the results I've been getting.
    No one arrangement seems to be consistently superior, and all of them are worse than I had hoped for.
    This has become a real sticking point as the final CPU cooling could make a real difference to the way the front bezel/sidepanels are set up.

I have one more (potential) part to try before I make a final decision, unfortunately, due to a FedEx screwup the package won't be delivered until tomorrow at the earliest ( and, more likely, Wednesday). A few more days of tests will follow and I hope to finalize the interior layout by this weekend.

How I envy some of these builders who start with a plan, stick to it, and seem to get good results the first time.
    I run all these comparisons and seem to only get more confused....

Just to get something physically done I drilled out all the remaining rivets and the case is now completely assembled with screws.
    Hardly a photo-worthy process, but one that had to be done sooner or later and it's out of the way now.

I'll try to make the next update more interesting, but to be fair, I guess displaying the angst behind the process is just as valid as showing the ( seemingly) effortless successes.

18. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

That first post was one of the most entertaining I've ever read. Usually I'm guilty of just browsing through the pictures but once I started reading I couldn't stop! :D

Like the others have said, the beauty of the method you used to mount the motherboard and drives is in its simplicity. The phrase "Why didn't I think of that!!?!" comes to mind. :duh:

Can't wait to see what else you come up with. :thumb:

19. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

fr*gging cool dude i love this mod already!!!!!! no Joke thiis is one of my favorites!!!!

20. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

If it walks like a duct and quacks like a duct...

Although I have reached a temporary impasse with my hardware layout, progress ( albeit mostly conceptual) continues apace with the exterior accoutremonts.
    The front bezel ( see first post) is somewhat boring and will need a bit of tarting up.
    A welcome ( and useful) addition would be a front intake duct, but how to do it?
    Hmmm....

I've seen the PVC ducts molded in by others...could do that.
    Requires Bondo and endless hours of sanding/prepwork...ah...no.

Time for some pondering...off to my favorite "thinking room"...the garage.
    One advantage ( among very few, I might add) to growing old is that a body tends to accumulate lots of junk.
    Sometimes junk rises above it's station and becomes cool stuff.
    Perhaps what I'm looking for will be hiding out here.
    Hmmm....

Hark! What is this?
    Could it be?
    <frenzied activity>
    Yup.
    I have seen my duct...now to free it from it's mundane surroundings....

[​IMG]
    An old set of boombox speakers, can't imagine why they are still around, but very glad they are....see the duct?
    [​IMG]
    This is just too good to be true...the speaker mounts are an absolutely perfect fit for a 92mm fan!
    A few minutes with a Dremel ( one of the few duties I consider it to be suitable for...) and the nascent intake duct is freed from the speaker box...
    [​IMG]
    Leaving a raggedy, but intact piece.
    Now to clean it up a bit...
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes, having the right tools makes all the difference, doesn't it?

Well, it turned out perfectly.
    Unfortunately ( for now at least) you'll just have to take my word on it as the pic I took was useless ( we'll just say I was shaking with excitement, OK?).
    And, in a cruel example of moddus interruptus, I'm going to leave you hanging...<shameless attempt to keep you coming back>...because another bit of serendipity has occurred and the "duct" may turn into something altogether different....

Stay tuned.