1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows STALKER under Vista

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tim S, 30 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Does anyone have a solution to the terrible crashing problems with STALKER under Windows Vista?

I'd really like to use the game for graphics benchmarking, but it's currently miles away from being stable enough to play or test in Windows Vista. At least in my experiences.

I'm using the game's maximum details with an 8800 GTX / GTS and everytime I hit escape to try and save the game, it just crashes to the desktop. :(

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Yep. I can't quick save inside, and the only way for me to actually play properly is to play at 1280 x1024. Makes me what to jump back to XP Pro for the time being.

BTW this is on an 8800 GTX and a 24".

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

as long as it's not *just me* then... it's a complete pain in the arse, as it's probably the most shader-intense game out there at the moment. Yet, it doesn't work on the latest OS. :(

/waits for patch

4. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd and WC Addict

A few of my mates play it on vista and have no issues..

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

Are they using the full rendering mode?

AFAIK, I've heard it is fine if you just stick to medium quality settings, but I've had no end of trouble with the full dynamic lighting mode. The problem is, medium quality isn't going to be much of a test.

6. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks mate, I'll give that a try in a few days time :thumb:

8. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I managed to fix the problem by listing the piece of s*it on Ebay....

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

What, Vista or Stalker? :hehe:

10. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'm actually a big fan of Vista. I know it's 'imperfect' but I like it. It's shiny.

11. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Running on Vista -8800gtx-Full everything at 1260x1024...

Still crashed like a bugger...Was MUCH worse in xp for me.

Taht crash happend to me a few times id esc to try save in menu or quick save...boom back to the desktop....For that crash i fixed it by loading the save....then running back to a different zone....it would quick save over your old file...then you can just carry on normal from there

Hope it helps...BTW.....Make sure you ahve a radation suit when u finally get to chernobyle..

12. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I'm not getting crashes, but the performance is appalling. When I first installed it on Vista it ran fine - high settings @ 1280x1024 with Full Dynamic Lighting. I played it for a day or so, then updated it to the 1.1 patch, which meant having to start over again. But now it runs terribly slow, forcing me to disable the Full Dynamic Lighting, but everything else remains high. I've spent hours trying to get the perfect balance, that I'm left with it looking like DX8.

13. pdemon

pdemon What's a Dremel?

I originally ran it on vista32 without the patch and everything worked fine with only a few scattered crashes at all max details. Then I put on vista64 and the patch which resulted in a nice crash every time I try to save. I think i'll probably just have to wait for the next patch...

14. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

Tim are you using an 8800 series card? There are known issues with them and vista. GSC has admitted Vista support isn't really there.

15. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

AFAIK there isn't a 64-bit patch yet so maybe that would be a problem??

IDK I haven't played this yet and I really want to, but all these problems are sounding really sketchy to me.

16. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

worked fine for me on xp and is a damm good game.

17. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

You guys still think the birthing pains on Vista are bad? You don't even want to know how long I used Windows ME.

I still haven't upgraded to Vista. I already beat STALKER so when I do upgrade I don't have to worry about problems with that game.

18. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I think the problems are with STALKER rather than with Vista. I don't blame Vista at all...

Tags: