Suggestions for Firefox extentions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by righteous_slave, 17 Nov 2007.

1. righteous_slave

righteous_slave I know what a bloody Dremel is

Which extentions would y'all recommend to maximize security and privacy and anonimity via Firefox? The list is pretty long, and I was just looking for the best of the best.

2. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

NoScript is pretty useful from a security point of view, plus it stops all those annoying adverts as well.

3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Mine usually include the likes of:

FasterFox, FlashGot, FEBE/CLEO, Crash Recovery - or Session Saver/Session Manager, Download Sort/Download Manager Tweak/Download Statusbar/Clean & Close,
    Google Preview/Customize Google,, IE Tab/IE View, NoScript, Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer/Online Bookmark Manager Synchronizer.

And finally... 'Update Notifier' - which let's you know when any updates (themes/extensions) are available :clap:

4. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

A lot of the time FasterFox is a wolf in sheep's clothing. All it does when you load a page is start loading up all the links in the background so that you get them quicker as and when you click on the link. The trouble is that this is very inefficient and clogs up your bandwidth, and can sometimes mean that you end up hitting download limits and the likes, which in turn will make your connection speed a crawl.

It also slows down the website for other users because most of the links on a site are all on the same server which is suddenly getting inundated with requests. Whilst you on your own won't bring down any servers, a widespread adoption of FasterFox could well generate problems for smaller sites.

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Yeah, fasterfox is a bunch of crap tbh.
    Total waste of bandwidth IMO.
    Can you honestly say that anything feels faster now that its installed?

Anyway, from a security standpoint, NoScript really is the dog's ********.
    Javascript, in theory should be safe but its been proven it can compromise a system even without taking advantage of any flaws.
    Stopping JS for all sites except those you explicitly allow is a very good idea.
    Do you want any pr0n, warez or similar sites beling allowed to run any kind of client-side scripts they like?
    I certainly don't.

Also, from a security/convenience/bandwidth-saving standpoint, a modified hosts file is an excellent idea.
    Stops your PC ever going to any of the listed sites in the hosts file.
    So known ad-pushing domains, mal-ware pushing sites etc are all blocked before the browser makes an outbound connection to the web.

Other than that, the only add-ons I use are mouse-gestures and google browser-sync. :)

6. evilgreenie

evilgreenie Standby for Main Engine Burn

I second NoScript and AdBlock with the Filterset-G updater to keep the block list automatically up to date..

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I always found noscript to be too much effort to be worthwhile. So many websites rely on scripting nowadays that everything gets broken, and it's just too much of a pain to reload every page after disabling the thing. I just use Adblock Plus plus several site-specific extensions (slashdotter, some digg thing, etc).

8. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I guess it just depends on how secure you want to be tbh.
    NoScript does indeed annoy you a bit initially but after a little while, once you've built your whitelist of your regular sites, its great.

Bottom line is, running client-side scripts on every site you visit is always going to be less secure than only running scripts on sites you explicitly allow. :)

9. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

Not really security-related, but RedShift V2 makes it looks really nice I find.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm not concerned enough to be bothered, tbh. If I cared that much, I'd just run my browser from inside a virtual machine.

11. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

BugMeNot - awesome little plugin to log into those sites that mates host pics on but you just can not be bothered to sign up to.
    CustomizeGoogle - great for making google work for you
    FlashBlock - removes stupid annoyinig flash adds etc
    IETab - Generates a session of IEXPLORE within a firefox tab :: useful if a site does not load in FF correctly, or if you wish to test your site in IE
    LongTitles - Good for viewing ALTtext on images et al (aka xkcd.com)
    TabBrowserPreferences - just lets you control the tabs easier
    AddBlockPlus + FilterSetG - Gets rid of 99% of adds on the net (Flashblock gets rid of the rest) hooza!

12. evilgreenie

evilgreenie Standby for Main Engine Burn

You could also try Stealther, aka "p0rn-mode", which temporarily disables Browsing History, Cookies, Downloaded Files History, Disk Cache, Saved Form Information and Recently Closed Tabs list..

However disabling cookies can cause problems with password protected sites so a separate cookie manager is a good idea.. I use Add'n'Edit, but I'm not impressed.. Can anyone recommend a good FF cookie manager?

13. righteous_slave

righteous_slave I know what a bloody Dremel is

Yeah, that's my favorite right now too. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. What about the anonymity? I'm just trying to foster a healthy amount of paranoia. There is plenty of data on me floating around, I'd like to keep too much more from floating out.

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

privacy and anonymity? how about this one?

i don't think you can get much more private than tor.

15. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Second Tor.

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Tor. Can't believe it's only had two mentions.
    Make sure you don't use it in Germany though.