1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions on how to disable a friends computer

Discussion in 'General' started by The Suicide King, 24 Jan 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Suicide King

The Suicide King What's a Dremel?

I hope this is a good board to post this on.

Anyways. I'm a second semester sophomore in college, as is my roommate, and we've been here over a week and she has only attended one day of classes. The reason being that she is online all the time -- till 5 am when she has to get up at 8.

I know everyone here is computer/gamer people, so you may not want to help me out here, but her education is being seriously affected: she hasn't even got any textbooks.

What I want to do is to disable her internet for an evening without detection. It would have been simple enough, because even though she's online all the time she knows nothing about computers, so I could have simply turned it off. But when she leaves (she did leave today, thank God) she turns it off and its password protected.

Any suggestions? After learning that, I figure it'll have to be a hardware kind of alteration, which actually would be perfect because she calls her whole tower a modem (she's clueless). I know my way around inside a computer pretty decently, but haven't done this before... how do I disconnect the internet temporarily without it being visually noticed? Her computer must still run, and it must be reversible.

My intention is that without the internet, she may go buy books. With the internet on, she plays on it from 11 in the morning to 5 am when she sleeps again, sometimes not eating, showering once a week, and not speaking when spoken to. It's really quite unhealthy.

Thank you very much.

(If anyone knows how to override passwords, that might solve it.)

2. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

cable? dial up? unistall the drivers under and remove hardware

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For a start this is a bit low-brow. I know you probably want to do it honestly, but a lot of people could use any information someone helps you with against someone with a password protected computer e.t.c. Anyway...

What you could do is simply put a piece of blu-tac in the modem/network port of her computer, but still ensuring the cable is plugged in. This would fox her i'm sure. :) If not you could try something like opening her case and unplugging the motherboard, then when she asks you're busy and "will look at it another day"?

4. The Suicide King

Cable modem.

I know its sketch. I'm not looking to use anything against her. Really, I don't want to be on her side of the room as it smells like something died. Anyone caring for more details can pm me, but I'm at my wits end.

I'm a computer geek too, but I get my work done, I'm clean, and I go to classes. Just trying to force her to disconnect and think about her life. And its only for a day.

Thanks Krikkit, I'm going to scour about for some tac now. :)

5. The Suicide King

Actually I think the first thing she'd do is unplug the ethernet cable.

Comps don't run if the mobo is unplugged, do they? It's gotta boot up.

6. Scorpsel

Scorpsel Imaginary Time

Um.. did you try talking to her about this?

7. The Suicide King

Doesn't that seem like the simplest solution?

Yes, I've tried. Numerous times. She started getting this bad about a year ago, hasn't let up, really. Last term I *literally* was on her case all the time to get her work in, and this is college. The classes I couldn't prod her about, she damn near failed. The one that I did, she managed a C+.

Believe me, I've spoken to her about it. Her mother has. My friends have.

I intend to shut it off for a bit, and strongly urge her, since she's got nothing better to do, to go buy some freakin' textbooks and attend a class or two.

Anyone want to switch roommates?

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Get a ethernetcable that looks exactly like the one she uses at the moment and cut some of the wires in it (cut all to be sure) but be caserul to it doesn't show from the outside so easily.

if you have a computer and is on the same network, set up a batch file that loops a net send message to her computer that says something like "get to school" or something. If you are lucky you will kill some bandwith in the same time.

If you have wallsockets for the internet, try disconnecting the cables inside the wallbox. (as an alternative to the first suggestion) But remember where the wires should be. so you can hook it up afterwards. Mabye you could make an little electronic timer that switches a relay to turn of the internet when she should be in class.

9. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

scotch tape over the male end of plug for ethernet cable and plug it in, shell never notice.

10. dubskies

dubskies What's a Dremel?

idea?

well if its windows xp, turn computer on, when the computer boots up press f5 or f8 (been a while) then when it ask's you whats you want the comptuer to start up like (normal or safe mode) go in through safe mode, a little username called administrator will be there, logon and have fun:> disable the network card

11. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

U kidder, we all knows its one giant modem! ;)

Secondly, get a pic of this smelly bint, she sounds aweful!

12. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

He's from NY, he'll never get Scotch tape over there :hehe:

13. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Swap out her ethernet cable for a crossover (if the switch doesn't have auto-detect, which most do now days).

Or like others have said, make a custom ethernet connector without wires connected :D

14. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I agree with JinkzUK we need pictures ....
    As for ideas, unplug the power to the mobo...or the switch on the front from the mobo :D
    Thatll have her on the floor crying that she can no longer play her games!

15. planki

planki ...

the suggestions about getting a network cable and cutting the ends of so it doesn't work are good but xp would tell you the network is unplugged so you could wire the ends of the cable together that way xp wont know and nor will she!!

16. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

give her a static IP address on a completely different network...

17. The Suicide King

I love you all. :D

Jinkz: I'm planning to get a pic of her sleeping. If/when that pans, I may post it. (Having posting issues currently...) I really think you'd all be more entertained by a picture of the inside of her comp. I've yet to open it, but she has a Dell, and you know they have the flip up front for a mic port and more usb ports? Yea, well, I flipped that up and there was enough dust to make a sock in there. I'm dying to pop that case. :hehe:

Ideas I like (I'll update on my progress, btw):

-The cable idea, but I have no cash to buy spare cables, so no go on that.
    -The batch file idea. I have no idea how to do that, but I love that idea. Research time. :naughty:
    -The one I think I'll use is the wall socket idea.

However, this week I've managed to nearly wreck my toe (twice) and bruise my leg on things that have no wires at all, so if I decide that fiddling with wall sockets might be detrimental to my health, I might just do the IP address thing... :)

Thanks, all.

18. fg0d

fg0d Banned

You dont need to do all this stupid stuff to disable her computer; its actually pretty simple : lay the pimp hand down and SMACK!

19. kobaj

kobaj Banned

Why do you care, but if you must I would go with teh scotch tape over her plug then plug it back in. Or Pop the cover off her case and unplugg her hard drive, when it boots to dos she will be sad as hell. Then you say the comp is completly ****ed, and say you will take it off her hands. Its a win win situation.

20. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

i was going to sudgest the cable idea. switch it for a crosover, or get a croseover conveter and stick that in :/ may stall her for a bit :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.