1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Tech Gives It Up for Asia

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 5 Jan 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Tech companies are digging deep and coughing up the $'s for the SE Asian disaster appeal. Wired has the info:

Many tech companies are donating and routing millions of dollars in aid to those affected by the Dec. 26 earthquake and subsequent tsunami in Southeast Asia.

Devastation from the tsunami, which a United Nations report said is expected to have killed more than 150,000, was severe in Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India and Thailand.

As countries around the world pledge all types of assistance, online stores and software and electronics companies are getting in on the action in many ways, including hyping charities' websites, giving funds and asking employees and customers to reach into their pockets, too.

More here

In (sort of) related news, even Michael Schumacher has personally donated a cool $10m to the fund. Good on him.

2. Hwulex

Hwulex What's a Dremel?

And a big well done and thank you to them all.

Was reading only yesterday about Sandra Bullock donating $1m and thinking 'woah', so $10m from Schumy is just awesome. Pissing contest? So what, it's all helping. :thumb:

3. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

well the uk is helping.the top 20 uk football clubs donated a weeks wages for 2 players wow!!!!

4. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Blimey, at this rate they won't need to wipe out their debt, they can just pay it off there and then. :thumb:

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yep, it's good to help. Even Bayern Munich donated € 300 000. But, to be honest, what else could we do ? Sit back and wait 'till they rebuild their towns and hotels and stuff ? This is a catastrophe that stunned even experts with its size and destructions. There's been more damage having taken place than any one of us could even imagine.
    More than bad...

6. MovieFreak

MovieFreak What's a Dremel?

I'm still waiting for them to admit that it was actually Godzilla who did it all.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I noticed newegg and I think evga had donation links up on their sites, and I'm sure there are others.

Anyone else find it a little bit bothersome that something horrible has to happen before people will donate to the red cross (etc)? Not that people shouldn't donate because of this but they shouldn't need a reason other than being a kind person if you ask me.

Tags: Add Tags