1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Age of the Web Hermit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 17 Jul 2006.

1. glnsize

glnsize What's a Dremel?

I'm all for online gaming, but I will say that when it comes to MMORPG. It has to stop at some point. The office where I work we recently lost four good techs to WOW. They got so interested in the game. That all they would do is come to work a talk about there avatar. Or some quest they went on, or some other meaning less CRAP! It's a sham really... btw these weren't kids the youngest one was 32.

Online shopping, banking, research, socializing... okay, but it should not be acceptable for someone to be consumed by the net. Its a tool NOT A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. dibbs

dibbs What's a Dremel?

lol

yeah, about that hermit thing...
    im a hermit when not partying (basically when im broke and cant afford to do anything fun) which is most of the time lol

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

It was in a BT article (I can't find it now). The owner (?) of a gaming team said that he wanted to catch some sun when he was asked about it on the forums.

-ed out

EDIT: I found it! It was the guy from reason gaming and this was the picture in question.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2006
  4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I can't speak for anyone else, but from my perspective, real life sucks. I'll take the digital life any day.

5. CAL3H

CAL3H What's a Dremel?

Nicely put mate. Definitely the angle I approach this from. Reading through the article though, I realise how much everyone takes the Internet for granted now. My broadband went down the other day and being unable to track my eBay auctions and keep in touch with friends from across the county I was left scratching my head-eventually deciding on an evening at the gym-and giving BT an earful).

:)

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Real life has better graphics

7. certhas

certhas What's a Dremel?

I like the sentence you disagree, thought i see it in a bit other way. Its nice to see that some people put mmorpgs on a par with sport (at least it eases the mind of the mmorpg-player ;) )
    surely its not physical sport and it never will be as healthy like riding a bycicle or jogging or whatever... but it still has similar effects.
    The best thing would be to combine both, go ride your bike 1-2h and then play a mmorpg.

Anyway, i totally agree with your conclusion. Games are nice for some distraction but the player shouldnt take it too serious even if you got some real good friends while you played it.There imo will come the point for everyone when he realizes that its only a game, and playing it wont get you any further in RL.

certhas
    p.s. I stopped playing wow 2 months ago, after playing in the same guild for almost 1 year. It was pretty sad since i had a lot of friends there, but thanks to the net and irc im still in close contact with them.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2006
Tags: Add Tags