1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of switching to TFT...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ////\oo/\\\\, 13 Aug 2004.

1. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

I have been running a 22" CRT for some time now, and though I love it,it just takes up so much damned space!

So my quandry is do I buy

2 x 17" 1280*1024

2 x 19" 1280*1024 (probably too expensive...!)

1 x 20"+ 1600*1200 (though I know the response times won't be as good)

and then of course which to buy! Probably the Iiyama for the 17" not sure about the others yet.

I am just mulling this over at the mo and may not take the plunge just yet, but let me know what you think :)

2. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

My choice would be 2x17" fwiw

3. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

yeah, think I am leaning that way

Gonna go into PC World :worried: at the weekend to way up the sizes etc.

4. ICDragon

ICDragon What's a Dremel?

The best price/performance deal i've seen is the samsung 17" 12 ms response 710VT LCD monitors.

5. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I'd atleast get one 19", especially coming down from a 22". You'd probably get tired of a 17" very quickly. Maybe use a 19 and a 17.

6. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Thats gonna be the wine you had at lunchtime ;)
    [​IMG]

sorry, im in a bit of a silly modd all of a sudden

7. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

I've been thinking of two different sizes - but would probably want the larger one to be 1600*1200 for high res gaming... puts the cost back up again but I could always start with only one.

What do people reccomend for a 1600*1200 res TFT?

8. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

:p

That's gonna be the Guinness you had at lunchtime :p :p

Last edited: 13 Aug 2004
  9. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

haha touche

I wouldnt go for 2 diff sizes, ive use a duel monitor setup for ages, never going back. At hte start it was with a 17" CRT and a 15" CRT, its good but dragging windows from one screen to another can be a little odd if they are diff sizes.

10. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Can't you just change how they relate to each other in the settings?

11. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

you can but iy still doesnt "feel" right, at least not as good as a nice cold guiness after work :)

12. Kano47

Kano47 What's a Dremel?

Hello

Im a new bod and found this site today whilst looking for info and reviews on TFTs and bang someone asks a question similar to what i was going to ask. Great timing.

Anyway I have just started looking for 19"TFT but im tempted to go for the Viewsonic VP201, but it would be stretching my budget. It has received a good review in custompc mag with 1600*1200 display with 16ms response time.

Can anyone recommend a good 19" TFT with 16ms response time?

13. Iceman

Iceman Staff

How much do you want to spend?

You can get a Dell 2001FP which is 16ms for around £500 if you look around on ebay. These are new with full warranty too.

Alternatively you could spend £1k and get a 30" 16ms panel with a built in TV. I use both and I must admit the 30" has really surprised me, the quality of picture is very impressive indeed if you can live with the slightly lower resolutions of 1280x1024 4:3 or 1280x768 in widescreen. Games were meant to be played this way :)

Here's a very quick snap of my setup.

[​IMG]

14. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie :D thats a nice screen :thumb:

Death

15. Kano47

Kano47 What's a Dremel?

Great screen. Great set up.

What model and where did you get it for only 1k ?

16. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Having gone through quite a few dual and tri-screen setups myself.

It doesnt matter too much about any small size differences, but make sure to get ones that use the same (vertical) resolution, as thats what makes the difference, not the physical size.

I used to use 2 compaqw v900 crt's (19", 18" viewable), always said i'd never go smaller. but 17" seems "right" to me now.

I like having the syncmaster 171s as my main screen, and the crt as my secondary, currently hunting down a cheap but good crt to replace my 3rd screen.

17. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

I am still a bit worried that dropping from a 22" CRT (20" viewable) to a 17" TFT is going to be a bit of a system shock (ha ha no pun intended!) but I think that the 19" TFTs have a bit of a way to go yet before they are as good as the 17" ones - One of the reasons I didn't get a a TFT when I replaced my broken CRT about 18 months ago...

18. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

OK so I've been down to PC World :eeek: :worried: And I have definitely ruled out 19" panels - not really that much bigger and the same res with lower performance generally...

So it looks like I could be after two 17" panels, but which?

I quite fancy the Iiyama E431s but the Sharp LL-171G-B in Custom PC issue 12 is tempting me, even with its higher response times...

19. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

I'd definately recommne the Iiyama E431s, i've been using one as my 2nd monitor for a while now and it's absolutly great, just ignore the inbuilt speakers :) - i use a 19" Samsung tft for my primary and tbh I do enjoy it more, even if it is the same res as the 17" because i can put it at the back of my desk and everything looks perfect whereas the back of my desk is a little too far away for the 17" to be made out well without straining your eyes a bit. Still a solid monitor, only problem I have with it is that the stand is tiny and it only stands about 2" from the surface that it's on, whereas my 19" has a decent stand and is about 4" about the desk, enough room for my DTS decoder to go underneath. Not too bad though, a 2" thick photoshop book underneath the Iiyama sorts is perfectly :) - oh there is no height adjustment either so you may need to put them on something to raise them a bit (looks a bit odd when they are just on the desk without being higher.

20. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Iceman, you shouldn't show pictures like that... you're just gonna make people call you names! :D

I look forward to you joining us at the technology anon meetings!!