1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Two-player gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Porkins' Wingman, 15 Aug 2012.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I've got a mate visiting this weekend and previously I've always been a let-down gaming-wise. While he's got a PS3 all I've got is a pc (and a wii, but that doesn't really count does it :() and I've never had a decent controller to play things like Fifa properly.

So this time round I'm making an effort and have got one 360 controller (and considering getting another), so all I need to worry about now is the games choice. So many games nowadays seem to be single-player, LAN or online multiplayer, lacking that crucial two-player option.

Here's where you come in: can you recommend any particularly good two-player pc games from fairly recent times (i.e. not so recent that I'm going to have to pay top-whack for it, but recent enough to show off the pc's capabilities (I'm thinking this side of 2005 at least)?

Besides Fifa (or Pro Evo), what else is there? I'm mainly thinking racing games, shooters, platformers, but if anything else comes to mind then please do say. I don't mind if it's split-screen or not. Emphasis on fun rather than sims or strategy.

Thanks all.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Now this may sound like a bit of a childish idea given the content but the lego games are awesome and they are played on one screen.

I have played Lego Indiana, Starwars, Batman and Pirates of the carribean with my son and they are really fun.

3. Porkins' Wingman

I agree, but I don't think my mate will really go for them particularly. Thanks tho, good thinking.

Is Left 4 Dead 2 two-player? I've seen a site that suggests it is but it's the first I'd heard of it. If it is, do I need two keyboards/mice?

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Get another 360 pad for starters.

Dirt showdown is fun, if your having a few drinkies and want music then audiosurf and beat hazzard are great. Sonic generations, street fighter, nba 2k12 all get played at my place on pc.

Make sure you download, install and play eaxh game at least once before he gets round. Set up any accounts and register for stuff etc. That will make it as close to the console experience as pos and reduce time waiting to play!

If single player/ passing the pad is ok then GTA 4, limbo, trine.

5. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

I'm not even sure how that would work. However I believe with a gamepad/xbox 360 controller and some minor tweaking you can play local split screen:

http://pcformat.techradar.com/2010/04/30/quickfix-split-screen-left-4-dead-2/

6. bdigital

Also that tomb raider platformer is cool co-op.

7. Porkins' Wingman

Do you mean Guardian of Light?

8. bdigital

Yes thats the one. Platformer for 2 players. Myself and my better half had some enjoyment out of it.

9. Porkins' Wingman

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

11. bdigital

Another pass the pad type game, but can be played together sort off..... Is the walking dead series. Its set in the same setting as the tv series, works great with a pad.

12. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

The worms games come to mind.

13. Pieface

Pieface Modder

F1 2010?

14. Porkins' Wingman

Thanks for that, looks like boiled_elephant did a good job of simplifying the fix process. I've got a second 360 pad on order (costing me £7 more than the one I bought last year :wallbash:) to be delivered tomorrow and then I'll get to it.

Devastated by the lack of 2-player games though. Can't believe they bother porting stuff like Gears of War if they're not gonna include co-op.

I've got F1 2011 and on the back of the box it says it has 2 player split-screen, so presumably that's another option (I've never tried it). Edit: ninja'd by Pieface - looks like it is a defo option, thanks Pieface.

15. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

16. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Serious Sam is a split-screen game. I don't know about the HD versions, but the original versions did have split-screen support.

17. Porkins' Wingman

18. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Tell him to bring his PS3 and buy conflict desert storm 2 which is on sale on the ps3 network for £1.99, probably my favourite offline co-op game ever!

19. Chris1554

Chris1554 What's a Dremel?

Trine perhaps? I remember reading that you can split screen Trine 1 atleast.

20. Jaybles

Jaybles What's a Dremel?

Trine 2 always