1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Unnknown Disk 2 will not initialise.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 13 May 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Yesterday was just one of those days where everything did not go completely right.
    I used AOMEI Backupper standard to copy my games folders including almost a TB of Steam games to a 2TB HDD. As it was going to take a while I checked the 'Turn off PC' box. This morning I go to check the drive and discover Unknown disk 4, do I want to initialise it and on clicking yes get disk not ready, which leads me here.

Is the drive toast?

2. Mighty_Miro_WD

Mighty_Miro_WD What's a Dremel?

Hi @Kronos!

Did you try to run some diagnostic test on the drive in order to see what its health is? If not, run one (if possible with the manufacturers tool since it's tuned to the specific firmware of the drives) and post what the results were. For instance, if the drive is WD you can use Data Lifeguard Diagnostics:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=DlXQGb

Let me know how it went.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

what'd be most helpful would be a screenshot from the Disk Management software in windows (in the Win10 search bar you can search for and click "Create and format hard disk partitions") which should look like this

[​IMG] (Not my pic btw)

Edit: You should also be able to access it by right clicking the start button on the desktop and selecting disk management from the list that pops up :)

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Possibly. Check all cables and reseat them. If that doesn't help grab gsmartcontrol, see what the SMART data says and run the extended test on it.

Edit: Never, ever use WD's own test software (I know you have a Seagate drive Kronos but thought it worth mentioning). It's slow, buggy and never fixes anything. Ever.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Here is what I am seeing. At the moment it is connected as an external drive but I am rebuilding opr upgrading today and will fit it directly to the new mobo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

This is actually a 2Tb WD red. Where did you get Seagate from? :D

7. GeorgeK

Have you deleted all of the data from the original hard drive? Looking at that it would appear that you have (the D: is 99% free). If you choose to initialise a disk it will wipe it.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Please ignore the other dives in the screenshot as the problem HDD is connected to another PC. Not my gaming PC which is getting upgraded today. The drive in question is Disk 2, Unknown, Not Initialised.

But as to the drive you mentioned that was another faux pas as I managed to format the drive unintentionally, fortunately it is a backup PC and all info contained is also backed elsewhere so not a big deal, more of an annoyance.

9. noizdaemon666

I blame being ill for me being thick :D

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Lol.

11. GeorgeK

Ah well - if it's a blank disk then you just need to initialise it in order to be able to use it.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

This is what I cannot do as the second image shows the error message I get when I try to do that.

13. noizdaemon666

I'd still recommend my earlier advice about gsmartcontrol to test it, even though it's WD not Seagate :D

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Glenn, is the drive directly connected to the PC or in an external drive enclosure?

Some USB boxes don't lend themselves well to initialising large capacity drives.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Will try that once I have got the build up and running.

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The HDD will be installed and directly connected to the mobo once I have my Z170 build up and running.

17. GeorgeK

try attaching it internally and then selecting gpt

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I meant how was it connected whilst you were trying (and failing) to initialise it? Was it plugged into the motherboard or via an external enclosure?

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It connected externally as I was copying my games folders over. It was when I went to have a look at whether all was well this morning that I was greeted by the above. No idea why.

20. GeorgeK

Like Spreadie said - initialising disks externally can sometimes not work which is why I suggested to try plugging it internally into something to try it