1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Water cooling + Laning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The cheapskate, 27 Oct 2004.

1. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

Hey People,
    this is my 1st post, an im kinda scared lol :worried:

Any way, im Thinkin of upgradin my thermaltake HSF, to a watercooling setup, for just the cpu to start with as cash is kinda tight

My only concern is i move the computer alot, take it to LAN's etc, an i dont want all my nice shiny new parts in the bin just yet, Has any one had good bad expirences with moving a water cooled system???

Cheers people :thumb:

2. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Well.. one downside is you have to drain the system when you move it.. I might be wrong..

3. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

i dont drain my new system but i havent moved it that much. Just make sure all the tubes are connected well and the reservor (if you use one) is water tight. Should be fine but it will weigh a bit more. I have a mico atx WC system and it wieghs more than my full size atx case which is aircooled.

4. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

As long as you don't have any leaks and no open res you shouldn't have to drain it to move it.

Check out the Extreme Cooling forum. There are several threads I'm sure about reliablility of watercooling.

Built properly there should be no reason to drain it.

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Moving to extreme cooling.

A friend of mine never used to drain his system to come to lans.

6. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

I LAN all the time, never ever drained mine to move it. I've driven my rig from central IL up to chicago for a 4 day LAN without touching the cooling. Just make sure its leakproof, and that you are gentle while moving it.

7. OneMadPoptart

OneMadPoptart What's a Dremel?

No need to drain your system to move it. Just make sure everything is tight and squared away before you head off...meaning make sure your computer wont bumb around have anything knock into it etc...

Padding is a wonderful thing if you are looking for a little more peace of mind though.. But even without it, you should be fine.

-OMP

8. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

If it isn't water tight, WHY ARE YOU RUNNING IT ANYWAY?!!!?!]

:eeek: :thumb:

9. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

I never drained my system. I've moved it probably 100 times too. Here is what you need to do.

1) Mount pump to bottom of the case somehow. This is the #1 problem I had while in the car. You could hear the pump slam into cards and such when you hit a rough patch of road.

2) Make sure everything is sealed 100%. Use worm-screw style hose clamps. Screw that ***** plastic crap ones. Go overkill. Just don't go overkill on the tightening or you'll cut the hose pretty bad.

3) Make sure the tower is wedged in an upright position in the car. Usually can be had really easy by sitting it in the floor of the back seats. Then reclining the seat infront of it, against it.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sound advice. :thumb:

If anything leaks in your case while moving or tilting it, you haven't installed the WC system properly in the first place. If anything rattles, you haven't mounted or secured it properly. You should be able to pick up and shake the case without hearing any rattling. You should be able to turn it upside-down without any adverse effects. You definitely should be able to transport it to a LAN party.

11. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Although don't plan on carrying it too far, water makes it damn heavy :)

12. Nexxo

Just a BIX filled with water is 800 grammes. But if you want heavy, Try Fluorinert. The weight then goes up to 1.4 Kg. :D

13. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

I'll see your flourinert and raise you one BIX2 ... :D

14. Nexxo

Start saving up for hernia surgery. :D

15. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

rofl!, or maybe a small philepino boy to lift it for me :naughty:

16. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

SHould have a thermaltake triple rad and twin 550mm passive cooling reservoirs in a couple of weeks in a full tower......I'm not gonna be moving mine too much cos I can't afford the labour :rock:

17. Nexxo

Just slap some wheels under it. In fact Performance-PCs.com now sells those dinky polished aluminium wheels that come under the Lian-Li V1000/V2000 series seperately for about $30,-- :thumb:

18. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

Its not that heavy. Its like adding a few CD-ROMs. Okay, maybe its a bit heavy. But where I work I toss heavy crap all day so I am used to it.

19. ElCid

ElCid What's a Dremel?

Yes, but consider your audience their heavytank. We are all a bunch of people who sit around and talk about computers. Seriously.

20. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

The gym is your friend!

Tags: