1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Webbstation = Project Silent but Violent

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by gcwebbyuk, 6 Oct 2010.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Now updated with temp tests...

2. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Are you running the pump through the mini-NG? How are you finding that fan controller - is it fiddly to set up?

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

The piece of tubing between the radiator and GPU block: Whaaaaaaaaat

Why don't you make that enter through the bottom of the block? Then that section would only be one third as long.

4. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

No the mini-NG controls the roof fans - one probe in the ram modules, one in the nb heat sink, and then control the fan directly above them.

It wasn't too fiddly to set up - you use jumpers to choose which mode you want, and then two pots to adjust the settings, which are either speed or temp. Works as well as an external fan (front mounted) controller.

I may end up selling it anyway, as I realise I can do this from the mobo - it was a late night impulse buy after reading CPC, if you are interested it will be in the classifieds soon!

5. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

As mentioned above, had to do that due to the tubing being SO flexible and easy to kink and not having 45deg connectors. Plus I read several articles saying tube length did NOT affect flow or pressure.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

It does effect aesthetics though.

7. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

true = but I quite like the swoopyness of the tubes :)

I may replace the fiitings with 45deg compression fittings when I next make a change, and add a t-piece for easy draining, but at the moment, it's cool.

Plus with the pump at 80% it is probably as silent as my resorator was, however, I may need to add another radiator to keep it cool enough...

8. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Ran a couple of quick tests earlier in Everest with different pump settings - 5 minute stability, 5 minute cool off:

90% - still audible
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

80% - silent
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Dumbass Alert

Reason my inside case temps were so high, was probably due to the fact I had mounted my rear fan back to front. I remember now a while back testing having that as an intake with the top two fans exhausting, would aid airflow over the NB etc.

It was only last night when fitting my Scythe slim fan as an intake fan down by the radiator, and putting it the same way as the exhaust, and realising it was blowing air out the front... the penny dropped!!!

I have 3 more Scythe S-Flex fans turning up today, two to replace the noisy (ticking Fractals) and one to mount in the front upper bay (below the Blu-Ray drive) acting as an intake. They will all be setup as chasis fans and follow the same ramping as set for the rear fan using the Silent setting in Q-Fan.

Pics and temps to follow when they arrive...

10. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

OK, so I bought the chipset block in the end, I couldn't get it of my head so splashed the cash!

Not sure if I had mentioned before but one of the fan headers on the mobo had failed and so was being advanced replaced. So it all worked out perfectly, brand new board, and nice new chipset block, oh and a nickel back plate for the GTX460 :)

Brand New Mobo:
    [​IMG]

Brand New Mobo with EK chipset block and EK compression fittings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a Nickel backplate with a thermal pad on it to give the Mosfets extra cooling too.

All put back together, the chipset block is attached to the Zalman Resorator. Temps are, wait for it... 20c lower than before! My NB gets to about 40ish max :)
    [​IMG]

Dark View with UV light on:
    [​IMG]

More pics to follow - I was in a rush to get it all done in an afternoon, stripdown / rebuild, so didn't have much time for any more pics.

11. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

:D
    I had momentary vision of the speaker being a stealth radiator.

12. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

:jawdrop: It is lol there are two for extra cooling!

Actually you could use them as coolers, when the volume is turned up, the amount of air coming out of the reflex port on the front is massive - much more than I have noticed with ported speakers before - I highly recommend them for brilliant sound quality, but at £120 you would hope so!

13. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Just to note as well, I have placed the pump on some acoustipack (I bought the kit with three blocks rather than sheets). I cut a chunk out of the 3.5" bay piece that fitted the pump, so that it sits within the block. I then created a strip that I wrapped around the top outlet, and then zip strapped this to the side of the case to add stability.

Finally I cut one of the 5.25" bay blocks into three. Placed a strip across the front feet of the case, and then two strips, one each for the rear feet.

The case is now a ever so slightly wobbly (although it weighs so much it is 90% stable) but is isolated from the desk, so no vibrations causing the desk to amplify them. Am very pleased with the result.

Even after leaving the pc running Prime95 overnight it was barely audible from across the room and you could only just hear the fans when sat less than 2 feet away :)

14. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Just realised half the pics are missing from this list, will upload them again later with new pics of further loop changes...

15. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Couldn't help but post the last one first...
    [​IMG]

16. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Looking good. I forgot all about this one. Is that the silver pipe that turns blue under UV?

17. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

It is indeed!

I have a 2nd radiator arriving tomorrow, so think I will delay uploading the pics till this arrives.

At the moment it is folding with SMP client and GPU client temps are:
    CPU Core: 40c
    GPU: 48c
    NB: 53c
    SB: 46c

Fans and pump run from motherboard set on Asus Silent Profile
    CPU Fans (on bottom rad) @ 760 RPM
    Case Fans @ 760 RPM
    Pump @ 1650 RPM

All you can hear is a whine from the GPU caps and a tiny bit of fan noise :)

18. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

2nd Radiator fitted - an XSPC RS240, and CPU overclocked from 3.7GHz (232x16) to 3.95GHz (240x16.5)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PC Idle with fans and pump at 100% (ambient 17c)
    [​IMG]

Folding GPU and SMP Client 30 mins, and playing video in VLC Media Player - fans and pump at 100% (ambient 18c)
    [​IMG]

Folding GPU and SMP Client for a further 30 mins, and playing video in VLC Media Player - fans and pump on silent (ambient 18c)
    [​IMG]

So Core has raised in temp by 7c - due to overclock and voltage rise, but GPU is down by 3c, NB by 2c and SB down by 3c

Not too bad :)

19. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Some final pics with one of my screens (and speakers) the second screen is a cheap DGM 22" (the other speaker is also an AudioEngine A2...)

[​IMG]

And lit up:
    [​IMG]