1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding which dremel to buy?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TekMonkey, 22 Nov 2003.

1. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Even though I've been here for a while, I've never really done any serious modding (I mostly just look at the pretty pictures :p). I don't even own a dremel.

Well, finally, I'm planning on starting my first project with a dremel and I need a suggestion on what to buy.

I've never used a dremel before, so I probably don't need one of those fancy high-tech ones :rolleyes: .

Should I get a single-speed? two-speed? variable-speed?

Do you have a particular model you could suggest?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm planning on cutting a couple of windows, so if anyone could suggest whats the best way to do so with a dremel.

2. Visualaid

Visualaid What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to get a Dremel Multi Pro because the two speed and one speed melt plastic when cutting drilling it so i decided to spend the extra money on a dremel thats fitted for more things even outside the world of case modding!!!!

i got outbid on ebay by 0.50p!!! on one yesterday it eneded up being £30 with 150 accesories!!!!?

I wont get outbid tomorrow got a good snipe on the bid :D mwahha to be placed 1 second before bid ends.!

3. ArsoN

ArsoN What's a Dremel?

There is no contest, multispeed version, will give you so much more control. :thumb:

4. GeekwithGuns

GeekwithGuns What's a Dremel?

why dremel???

Hey I know dremels are great little tools, but dont limit yourself to the brand. Working in the hardware industry in the tool dept has seen the influx of so many type dremel clones, thus the reduction in their price. Ask yourself why has dremel been able to do this? By doing exactly the same as every other type of tool manufacturer apart from few (festooland the like)they have to sacrafice quality for competitive prices, ie: makita, dewalt, hitachi, Stanley(sidchrome) etc
    I brought myself a ryobi multitool(dremel clone) for $65.00 Aus(10000 - 30000rpm and variable speed) which I believe is around 25.00 Pounds. It came with a flex shaft and a whole heap of attachments, which if I brought in dremel would have cost me $200 to 250 aus. The warranty is longer and I have not had any probs with it(flex shaft alone in dremel cost more than the unit I brought!!)
    But if you just want to cut a window in the side or top of your case get a v/s jigsaw they work way better for cutting metal or one of those rotozips.
    hint! for making tight turns grind the back of the metal blade down by 3-4mm essentially making the saw thinner and able to turn tighter.
    hope this helps

5. TekMonkey

Visualaid--I don't care :D

GeekswithGuns--If I do get a dremel, I'd use it for other things too, not just a window.

Another drawback is I'm not a wiz with tools. I haven't had much experience with tools other than a hammer, screwdriver, and a power drill every once in a while :lol:

6. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

Geekwithguns- Ryobi pwnz. especially thier cordless drills.

Just don't drop them off 20 foot ladders.

7. TekMonkey

what does ryobi call their rotary tool? (is dremel used as a universal name for these type of tools or is it just the one brand?)

I'm looking at their site (ryobitools.com) and I can't find it.

8. GeekwithGuns

:nono:
    Personally I would not drop any of my tools off a twenty foot ladder, esp my dewalt drills, but if I did I would rather drop one of my $80 ryobi cordless than my $350 dewalt cordless, wouldnt you???

9. GeekwithGuns

ask and ye shall receive

goto
    www.ryobi.com.au
    clck on popup window launch site,
    place your cursor over products and highlight powertools and then other.
    then click on "view other products"
    Highlight and click on "CRT150K" and up will come a page with
    "100 Watt, 126 Piece Hobby Tool Kit"
    :clap:

10. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

why does everyone think that a dremel is the only tool for modding, personally i would never use a dremel for cunnting a case window, it just takes too long, if you want to cut your case use a jigsaw, they are a hell of a lot faster and make a cleaner cut, personally i dont think that the dremel is everything that it is cracked up to be, dont get me wrong they are a good tool, but not for that kind of job, dremels are for small jobs like finishing edges and a jigsaw is for cutting a window, easy

11. Wilier

Wilier What's a Dremel?

Heh, thats handy. Lookee here.

:lol:

12. Visualaid

i just won a dremel multipro of ebay!!!! :D

13. TekMonkey

14. Visualaid

looks exactly like a dremel multipro look nice :thumb:

15. TekMonkey

do you know if craftsman's rotary tools are any good tho? also, what about accesories...would i be able to use any accessory or do i need ones specifically for craftsman?

16. Visualaid

i'd stick with dremel i dont really know all i know is dremel are good sturdy tools.

17. HQ08-Modder

HQ08-Modder What's a Dremel?

IM getting a dremel kit for christmas with tools n' hopeuflly flexible shaft for cutting better windows and some fan holes. Price iwll be around like 120ish(aus) from mitre 10.

18. GeekwithGuns

Responses.....

Blackman:
    I agree, dremels are a useful tool but not designed for big stuff or running continuosly, such as cutting out large bloody windows, I know people do but, why???? jigsaw costs about 1/2 much as a dremel and if you do spend as much for one you can get a scrolling action which lets you turn really tight corners esp. if you grind the back off the blade to make it thinner!
    The most returns I used to get for dremels was doing things they were not meant for such as the above, people would be surprised how often they were actually returned.

TekMonkey:
    I have no experience with craftsman tools apart from the El Cheapo stuff they brought into Austalia and to be honest they were ****!(drills, grinders etc). The dremel clone looks a nice unit but as I said for cutting windows theyre a pain in ass, its a lot easier to control a jigsaw, but hey its your $$$$$$.

Visualaid:
    "I dont really know" what kind of statement is that LOL.
    Dremels do have a good rep and rightly so, they were the best made, were being the operative word, when Bosch took them over there quality dropped as they concentrated on a larger market at a more competitive price, and when you have to drop prices something has to suffer, in this case the quality. Now in saying that, they still are quite a good tool, however depending on what you use it for and how often becomes an issue, for me they are not worth me spending an extra $130 for, the Ryobi brand had every thing I needed including flex shaft for $65.00. Since Ill only need it for small jobs such as cutting fan grills, tidying up other cuts it represents a bargain.

HQ08-Modder:
    I used to work for the largest mitre 10 in Aus. Infact I worked in the Tool Department dealing with all types of power and hand tools, and before that in the old mans workshop who was a chippie, so my experience with tools was sort out by tradesman.
    Dremels are a great tool but as I said before and Blackman, use a jigsaw, they cut quicker and cleaner and cheaper.
    By all means if someones gonna buy one for you get it, you will use it, but use it for what its meant for not doing large cuts etc.

pheew I think that covers it all!

19. Bossman

Bossman What's a Dremel?

I got myself the £20 B&Q dremel clone. Its 140W varrible speed with plenty of accessories what more do you want for that kind of money?

20. TekMonkey

I had to go to the hardware store to get supplies for my school science fair project, so I picked up a dremel. Its a Craftsman Variable-Speed with a case, 40 attachments, and a light attachment. For $50 USD.

They had another bundle with a Dremel brand variable-speed with 75 attachments and a flex shaft. It didn't have a price tag on and I didn't even check with someone, thinking it would be way over my budget.

My first job will be cutting out the existing vents for a blowhole, because they block too much air flow.

Also, I've got a few iron (I think they are) screws that I want to trim down because the points stick out. Can I do this easily with my dremel (wondering b/c screws are thicker than a piece of metal)