1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-18698, 8 Nov 2006.

1. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Feb 2024
  2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I would expect you can just connect them together. If you want to get the X360 on the 'net you can probably just bridge the connections. :)

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Either crossover cable or patch cable through a hub from your pc, then either the xover straight to the x360 or patch from hub to x360. Turn ics on, on the pc. Bingo, you've got it.

You can't use other usb bridges (to the best of my knowledge) on the x360, only the MS one works.

If you want wireless, the best way I've found is to get a wireless bridge with a four port hub built in, by far the best one you can buy at present (which supports wpa) is the Buffalo Wireless Ethernet Converter. It's a little fiddly to set up at first, but once done it's rock solid.

4. kenco_uk

If it's patch cable, you'll either need two nics in your pc or a hub (and another patch cable). ICS is Internet Connection Sharing, you set it up via the Network Connection>Advanced properties.

5. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Internet Connection Sharing is what ICS is. I JUST had my xbox and computer on the same network the way you are doing it. All you need is two NICs on your PC and a standard ethernet cable. One to have your internet line goign into the first NIC, and another one connecting the second NIC to the 360. Just select both internet connections in the "Network Connections" window from the Control Panel, right click, and choose "bridge connections." This worked for me, although I had problems with it. It would randomly choose not to connect. For instance, I had it running both my xbox and PC and went to bed. When I woke up, I turned on the computer and I suddenly had no connection on my PC.

You can use ICS, but only if you don't run your connection off a router. When you use ICS it automatically takes the IP of 192.168.0.1 which is what your router has to be. Now I'm not sure if you can change your routers IP, but I didn't want to try.

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Actually, now that I think of it, could using a normal ethernet cord have caused my problems? I don't know why it would have worked at first, but not work at other times. I would get "network cable unplugged" messeges. But it worked for a while before that, that is why I am confused.

7. kenco_uk

Aye, I found that it reserves 192.168.0.1 for ics, but my router is 192.168.1.1 (and you should easily be able to change it btw, if needed).

8. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

easy...
    1. xbox to router.
    2. pc to router.

anything that is connected to your router, can then use the internet for whatever, inc xbox live.

your router is just that... it 'routes' data between whatever needs it, and that is your own network.
    anything transfered round your house would go via your router.

You connect them using straight cat5 (ethernet) cables

Last edited: 10 Nov 2006
  9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

NIC is a Network Interface Card, just a normal network card with an ethernet port on.

If you've got a router you can plug your xbox straight into it if you've got a spare ethernet port on it, you should then be able to stream pictures and stuff from you PC.

Or you could connect it directly to your PC, if you havn't got a spare ethernet port, you can either get a PCI network card and put it in, or you could buy a USB to ethernet converter (I think they exist) if you have a spare USB socket.

Now go into netowrk connections (in control panel) and right click and go into properties of the network port that your PC gets the internet from (i.e. the one connected to the router), if you're not sure which one is which, unplug the 360's ethernet port, the one you need to edit should be the only one connected.

Go onto the advanced tab in the properties window and tick 'allow other network useres to connect through this PC' or something like that. Now go into settings (for connection sharing, sjould be below the thing you just ticked), and click the add button.

Now another box comes up, this is for opening the ports xbox live needs, give it a name, say xbox live 1, then type the network name of your computer (right click on my computer and select properties, then goto the computer name tab if you don't know your computer's name).

Check the box for UDP, then put in both boxes 3074 and click ok.

Click add again, this time call it say, xbox live 2, this time click UDP, and enter 80 into the port boxes.

Then another one, xbox live 3, this one is UDP 3074.

Now tick the boxes next to xbox live 1, 2 and 3, leave the rest blank as you don't need those ports.

I didn't bridge my conenctions as I lost my internet connection on my PC for some reason, but this way seems to work fine, you can stream stuff to your xbox using this method too.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Thats what I've got right now since my router is full up. Basically you do exactly the same as what I said above, but instead of your PC getting the internet directly from the modem, it gets it from the router instead.

For the monitor, if you're not rich enough to have one with lots of different inputs you can easily switch between, then you can buy a 2-way VGA switch box, plug the monitor into the middle "common" port, then a VGA cable going to your PC in one of the other ports, and the 360 VGA cable into the last port. This way it's simply just a case of flicking a switch to make your monitor change what it's displaying. You can get them off eBay.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Oh sorry didn't see the PM :p

Erm, lemmie think...umm oo I know I retarded up the instructions, you need one that is 3074 UDP, and then the other one should be 3074 TDP. For the last one the port number should also be 88 I think not 80.

Hopefully this will solve the problem, if not then I'm out of ideas :confused:

I'm a noob at this stuff myself and just winged it (which I did for my entire network :p)

EDIT: Nice TV BTW :p Take those stickers off though :p

IMO, while really useful, the 360 wireless adapter is horribly overpriced, otherwise I'd have one myself...if I had a wireless network too that is.

Tags: