1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

OK so while waiting for the new materials & me having 2 msi p67a-gd65's at hand because of the switcharoo I was able to mark up precisely where the sata holes should be, also to my horror the 24 pin was way further down than my other mobo lol so had to extend the hole, I will definitely need to make the 24 pin pass through hole tidiers now lol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used a 7mm drill bit to poke holes through all the sata passthroughs & got busy filing, took ages as I had to use tiny files which take ages to get through normal thickness, the mobo panel is 4mm thick lol, the file jumped out now & again & I heavily scratched the surface, I then sanded all the inside edges, then used satinising mops :D was able to get rid of the scratches & re brush both sides of the panel & this time I put masking tape on both sides since this panel is complete now to preserve the nice finish for when it all gets put back together ;).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually I might need to put an extra hole in this panel for the power button cable & might decide to add an extra power cable pass hole so it isn't too cramped to get wires through :).

Last edited: 19 Apr 2011
    Razer2007 likes this.
  2. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

You sir have more determination and patience than most people.

3. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Verry nice wordk again waynio!

4. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

nice cuts!

5. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Lol, you learned masking with tape the hard way. Welcome to the club, buddy!

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Cheers Shadow :).

Thanks k.3nny, really hoping the extra materials come today so I can carry on :).

Thanks Razer :) it's drill holes & filing, thought I'd lose patience with the tiny files but just got stuck in with it & wouldn't stop until it was done :D.

:lol: I completely covered it to preserve the freshly brushed panel & I'll be doing this with every piece I re brush now so it doesn't need re brushing again, suppose I could have wrapped it in cling film, would have been much cheaper :hehe:.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2011
  7. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Hm, I wouldn't trust cling film for anti-scratch protection, but maybe you could test this for the community? ;)

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Hey why not :D I'll brush a scrap piece wrap it in cling film chuck it around, step on it etc then take it off & see how it is :hehe::D.

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

For one more time, you ROCK! ;) I just want to see this build finished ASAP!!!

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:blush: Cheers Alex :rock::thumb: shouldn't be too long now, I remember saying to Antony when it got nominated for MOTM, good thing you got it on MOTM in time thinking I'd have had it done by March :lol::D & look at that still working on it & still a few essential things to do :D, thing with this case I decided I want to make it as good as I possibly can so when it's finished I can sit back & honestly say to myself it doesn't need any tweaking at all & gave it my absolute best effort even if it means making a bit of scrap to get through a learning curve being the flush mount windows & curving acrylic :).

Also the subject of finishing came up again on another forum & the thought of having it all anodised is still mighty tempting & got me thinking of ways I could remove the brass inserts, the steel helicoils I should be able to remove relatively easy, fiddly & frustrating but doable :D, the brass inserts I whacked in with a hammer so are heavily stuck in place & will either require drilling out completely or getting a tool that matches the size & tapping away to try & get them out but that might deform the mobo panel so I guess drilling them out completely is the way to go, then get the right counterbore bit so I can prep the holes for taking flanged nut rivets, if I can manage removing all the different metals without damaging parts the option will be back on the table to anodise :D, the pci/io piece & fan mount bars would need to be painted though sadly as I used body filler on them so I'd have to do a really good paint job on them to match the rest of the case but everyting else could be anodised, I'm thinking black or dark blue/purple or both or maybe something completely different, hot days with blue skies are here so my mood is changing to bright & colourful :lol: :D :thumb:.

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

44 pages of awesome and we still aren't done!?
    That is one hell of a motherboard tray, I love the SATA cutouts.

12. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Ooooooooooo nice mobo tray

Looks smooth

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:) I know lol thanks KidMod, got the 1mm alu today so guess the acrylic will be here tomorrow, I should have taken a picture of the deep scratch I added when filing the panel, wasn't sure I'd be able to smooth it out with the satinising mops but it went away fairly fast with the coarse mops :).

Thanks DeadP1xels it is very smooth all over :).

14. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Nice work on the very neatly made MB tray :thumb:

15. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Coming along very nicely Waynio, Take your time and enjoy it bro :thumb:

16. StonieX

StonieX What's a Dremel?

Awesome work Waynio :thumb:
    Do you still feel your arms after all? :clap:

17. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Yay! More epic sauce! :D

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Graham :).

Cheers Bill :) yeah I'm not rushing it & have to admit the sudden heat thats come along is making me slower :hehe: just wish I had the guts to do my own anodising but working with acid & obtaining all the required chemicals is a pretty scary thought if accidents happen :eeek: I'd also need quite a bit with the panels being so large so better to go to a company that does it instead really.

Thanks StonieX :thumb: I used to excercise a lot but kinda give it up especcially when making this, even the side bellys have been disapearing :D so diy modding can really keep you in shape & you are left with the feeling of using your energy well rather than a gerbal on a wheel going nowhere :hehe::D:thumb:.

:D Cheers djzic :thumb:.

Got the extra acrylic today so I'm out of excuses :D maybe an update later today, if not then tomorrow :).

19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Awsomework on this masterpiece. Those tiny square holes turned out realy nice.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Gnu :) I'll have to get some up close shots of them in the sun :D, shouldn't have any problem peeling back the low tack tape for a pic :), been busy with other stuff today so I'll leave doing anything until tomorrow :thumb:.