Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I would have got something done today but had a visit from a panicking angry wasp so thought I can't be doing with mad insects driving me mad in the evenings I always keep the window wide open for good air circulation so I went & measured my window & went over to the garage & started fabricating a frame from alu angle bar & then fixed a nice mesh that'll keep all insects from coming in & it's fixed up in front of the window now. :D:thumb:

Tomorrow I continue with the case :).

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Seven attempts at doing the double curve piece & this was the best out of the lot but is not to the standard I wanted I have enough acrylic for 2 more attempts but struggling to see the point in trying again so I'm taking a break from the project to see if I can think up a good alterative, best way to get this double curve piece done would be to have it thermo formed but I don't know how to get the precise curve line accross to a place that does this & even then I'd need to add the mounting holes & knowing my luck I'd shatter it lol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it's time out while I come up with a good alternative, could be overnight, could be a week or more.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

What you need my dear boy is a heat gun and some ratchet straps. Strap the section down you want to bend and as it heats up gradually apply some pressure until it how you want it. for the longer sweeping section you may even get away with bending it right at the bottom and then just take the heat gun over the whole lot slowly. remember to let each section you do cool down and set before you move on to the next one.

4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

This is going to look so sick when done :O

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:) Used a heat gun on the 7 failed pieces I just can't do double curve :lol:, 1 curve is easy, 2 curves going in different directions surprisingly very very difficult to keep it flush to the bars without any warpage, maybe I need to buy a load of mdf sheet & make a solid jig, strap it to the jig as you suggested & blitz it with the heat gun lol, then it shouldn't have high points/low points & no warpage.

But I have to say I think I'm all out of patience with having a curve window lol & I'm going to try & brew up a new idea as an alternative.

Thanks DeadP1xels, I left the trickiest bit til last & it aint fun :lol::duh:.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ahh I have 2 attempts left so yeah I'll try doing it with a solid jig made from mdf = more money :waah:.

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I originally though you was going to have a fine mesh down the front.
    I see what you're saying about the template, knock up something like a blow mold.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That's another option a mesh, but yeah combining your tip about the straps & a solid jig I can imagine getting a really good result as was intended.

With it being soooo warm I've been feeling quite dehydrated so had a few of my dads Gaymers pear cider & wow it really hits the spot brilliantly, maybe too well :D, can't remember the last time I had a drink of booze :hehe:.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: Now that you are ripped; get out there and try it again. Seriously, I'm not sure how to get this right with just a heat gun too. If you work your way down from the top, you get the problem of kinks (-no clue how to describe it.)

Last edited: 23 Apr 2011
  10. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

How about just wrapping a piece of thin aluminium on top of those bars? It would make a much better curve and should help minimize whatever warpage it is that you're experiencing.

Waynio likes this.
  11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D:hehe: Sounds like a plan :lol:.

I do have some scrap 0.7mm sheet alu I could do that with, once again saved by keeping this up to the day on progress, cheers Nutman have some rep :D:thumb:.

Tip combination contributed by Navidson Record for the hot plate idea, John for using the loaf in using gravity :D, Jeff for getting me thinking of not giving up with alternative ways & Nutman for the thin alu sheet tip, cheers :thumb:.

So we'll see if I can pull it off tomorrow :).

Last edited: 23 Apr 2011
  12. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Wait with the rep until you see whether it actually works or not? ;)

13. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Either make a full-scale mold out of MDF and cook the thing in a large oven (rather than getting spotty results with a heat gun) or use polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is much less brittle than acrylic, but not as optically clear.

Those are my 2 cents.

14. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

You cant do this with a heat gun buddy its impossible you need an oven for acrylic and a mold. Make a mold with mdf and make a piece with fiberglass. Then cut the straight part and add acrylic or mesh. My 2 cents! Good luck mate! :)

15. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Could you not make an edge all the way down which the acrylic can be glued onto to keep it in shape?

16. Dragonite

Dragonite Minimodder

Yeah polycarbonate could be an idea as well. You can even bend it when it's cold just like metal. Though to get the bends you want applying heat is favourable.
    About it being less clear I haven't noticed. The pieces I have used are still as transparent as any acrylic I have used. Though polycarbonate is very expensive around 100€ per square meter though many shops have spare pieces for much lower prices. Have one close to home that sell like 50cm x 30cm pieces for like 8€ a piece :p

On the plus side you will have a bulletproof front :lol:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Was worth a try :D.

Thanks Achron but I don't have access to a big oven though, I'm currently working out a different approach using layers I am super determined to make it good though :thumb:.

Yeah I know for sure now :lol: can get the curves but to get it spot on to the alu curve bars is just not happening, new ideas are forming though & it'll allow me to go a little freestyle woo hoo :D it'll be far better than a plain window :thumb:.

I did consider doing a trim but scrapped the idea but would be doable as you say.

Bulletproof front :lol::D ah I think after 10 muckups I should try something I'm more familia with = aluminiumn :D but 1mm acrylic with tinting film is what I'll use for the curved window :thumb:.

Here I go again I felt quite optimistic starting off lol.

Here is a few of the 0.7mm alu sheet I had spare & the metal shears I used to trim the mounting holes away & then cut what I need to size.
    [​IMG]

Clamping the cut to size alu sheets to the case to do the top curve.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top curve done.
    [​IMG]

Start of the main curve with added alu sheets to the rest of the length which is where it all goes wrong.
    [​IMG]

A vision of how it could be with alu sheet.
    [​IMG]

Gotta laugh & forget but not to forget trying to do this diy again, 1 curve doable, maybe even 2 curves or more but not if they are to be flush to an existing curve & they all curve the opposite ways :D.
    [​IMG]

Ok I know when I can't win lol, I knew this was going to be the most challenging part of the build & a good learn by doing part of it :D, after 10 attempts I'm calling it quits on the double curve window, what I learnt on trying to do this bit was never try doing double curve in different directions by diy lol, best way to get this done is like others said a big oven & jig or get it thermo formed to perfection by a plastics place well at least for 3mm & above acrylic.

I was either able to do the top curve or the big curve very well but not both on the same piece lol so it's back to the drawing board with what to do, could do a big sprawling alu grill or simple bars or both as bars will introduce even more strength, it could loose a bit of the nice look but sometimes that isn't a bad thing if it improves the structure & if I put enough creative effort into the bars then they could make a nice feature.

Up next? well I have to come up with a nice design that compliments what's already done, I'll get there ;):thumb:.

Actually ideas are in place for a 1mm acrylic sheet for the window with tinting film added + a 1mm full mesh panel + a 1mm pattern panel + nicely shaped tabs to keep everything flush, Just need to draw the fitting design :).

18. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Thats a shame m8, that window looked real nice ...I'd keep it and just cap the top off with a peice of ali where the curve changes. Full marks with your efforts of trying to do all these things diy style :thumb:

19. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

I now only follow the project because i have no adjectives to talk about your project... :jawdrop: :rock: :rock:

Dude... just wonderful! :thumb:

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You were on the right track there, You just need to come up with a way to sammich The plastic between two bits of aluminum.
    I'd get the big curve right first, clamp alu sheet over it, Then go after the 2nd bend.