1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

To be fair, that's not very high bar though, is it?

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Watching a film on our new 45" 21:9 OLED is *chefs kiss

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I think for me 16:9 is always going to be preferable for the media/gaming side, so if I went bigger it'd have to be an 8k, giving more all around just seems a setup too far for desktop though, really I'd like a screen at about 55" in 16:9 with something in between 4 and 8k.

8ks are getting cheap now though so I might just see how I get on with a 65" reckon in 16:9 it might be a bit too high and going wide would be the answer putting up with black bars

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

I've not had a delivery like this in a while :hehe:

5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Especially when they could have just put a shipping label on the damn product and saved the box at all!

6. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Gretta will not be happy
    I ordered a phantek rgb hub from amazon and they put a sticker on the box I was like em but it makes sense.

7. David

Ok. It's only been a couple of hours, so initial impressions:

Out of the box default settings, the colours are really nice - vibrant but not over-saturated. I think this is where sprogs and hipsters employ the word "pop". There is ZERO backlight bleed, which has really impressed me - one of the reasons I moved to VA panels a few years ago.

The aspect ratio is probably going to take some getting used to and the overall width of the screen, combined with my last one being curved, kinda makes it feel like the extreme edges are trying to curve away from me - feels a wee bit odd, but I know that this will soon fade as I get used to a flat screen again. The controls are behind the right hand side, inset about 1.5 inches and, as ever with these things, feel a bit unintuitive. However, the HP Display Center app on the windows store allows for full control via the desktop.

My only gripe so far is video content (youtube etc..) not natively supporting 3440 x 1440 res, so full screen means black borders on either side; but I really had to stop and think about how often I display youtube vids full screen - not all that often, it turns out. There is a fair chance that my RTX A2000 rig won't be too keen with the idea of gaming at this res. More investigation required.

No idea about the stand - the screen went straight onto my monitor arm, so the stand never made it out of the box, let alone got unwrapped.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2023
    adidan and b1g-d0g like this.
  8. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Cool, is that the petrol range extender style EV, so it has a petrol just for generation of electric, it's an interesting approach.

10. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

Yeah its the eforce one as a plug in for me is a non starter with where I live. Electric motor front and rear with a 3 pot that isn't connected to the wheels.

Not really tested the economy of it yet but it's deceptively nippy for something that large.

sandys likes this.
  11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It's an interesting 3 cylinder with variable compression, being computer controlled should mean it can be economical without the humans unpredictability hammering on the throttle etc.

Mazda has gone down a similar route and reintroduced the wankel engine to do the genny job on the MX-30 which is cool, the Japanese blazing their own trail.

An EV is not suitable for me either, it'd be perfect for most of my driving but the bits it is not suitable for it really doesn't work (towing) , so I'm in the hybrid or straight ICE camp.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

My turn

Another white SUV to clutter up the school drop off and pickup, quite a bit smaller than our last tank and will be at least electric for the most part in our usage.

Its a bit Jekyll and hyde in EV mode it'll do 60mph in 10s, perfectly acceptable, in e assist with petrol it'll apparently do 100mph in about 10s, perfectly unacceptable :D

And of course completely unnecessary car will rarely go over 50mph.....because Bristol and towing. :rollingeyes: I'm sure I'll stretch its legs some where :D

[​IMG]

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

It's nice of them to include a freebie with the box you ordered.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The oldest part of my rig was my rodent (A mk1 Logitech Performance MX), so:-

[​IMG]

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I would imagine it's the extreme width monitors that probably would benefit from being curved.

Having not ever owned an ultra wide nor curved monitor I'm just guessing mind.

So out of the box the colour is good eh? Do you ever calibrate? Can't say I have myself as I have no gizmo and the software has always hit me as a bit meh but I could be wrong about that.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

When I first go my 40 inch it was like that, felt like the fringes were bending backwards, you got used to it and then it wasn't a problem, my other screens are curved and it works well when they are big and you sit close.

adidan likes this.
  17. adidan

[​IMG]

A DD8L Junior when they were briefly in stock for my unheated loft.

Been running a day and doing a good job. No condensation on the velux windows and nicely bumping the temperature up to a comfortable level.

Pleased so far.

18. David

Yeah, it doesn't seems quite so pronounced now - I imagine it'll fade in no time.

Half-heartedly, sometimes. I usually make the effort to hunt down monitor profiles, but no way am I throwing money at a colorimeter.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Imagepipe_10.jpg

I'mma have the best website ever. Guaranteed to look good in Internet Explorer *and* Netscape Navigator!

IanW, Arboreal, Byron C and 3 others like this.
  20. adidan

That instantly triggered screeching modem sounds in my head and shouting at my folks not to use the phone.

*shudders

IanW, Pete J and Gareth Halfacree like this.