Windows 2142 Demo - Initial Thoughts

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Djpuk, 6 Oct 2006.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Wouldn't hurt to try

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Nah It didnt do the trick, it crashed when i set foot upon the Titan.

Its not a graphics issue as i read the error report. Either way its not working for me. Ill prob wait a while after the game has come out and see what the inital damage report is like after u guys have given it a going over.

Ive never had this issue with BF2 but even when i was using older hardware, tho this game uses a ungodly amount of ram, i have 1Gig and the usage was 1.2gigs for me system.....christ, they still aint fixed that issue.

3. SLICKMAN7667

SLICKMAN7667 What's a Dremel?

LOL SUCK OUT G MAN
    i also have an error when trying to start the demo copy saying something bout dx any one know how to fix it cuass i lookedr on the internet and i can't find nothing if its a file could u post link

g man loves man juice

4. Springs

Springs Boing boing

if u got a missing dx file error.. just put the error message into google and it should come up in the 1st 2-3 hits about a replacment file..

thats what i did

5. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Possibly the most incoherent post I've seen here, and if you spent ten seconds googling you'd have a solution. Put some effort in and don't expect it to be done for you. :eyebrow:

And since I don't want to make a completely useless post, the problem you're having is most likely related to DirectX files missing, a consequence of installing the latest version of DX9.0c, which misses 3dx9_29.dll. A thread here covers possible fixes.

6. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Really wanted to have a quick play with the new vehicles, downloaded and installed the demo last night and I just get illegal operation errors as soon as I try to run it :S

7. atanum141

Meh, im gonna try the entire April DX9 package and see what happens. I feel like a fool coz i uninstalled the bugger.

8. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

[​IMG]

9. atanum141

Ok Update on this damn game......Its fricken sweet!
    It works perfectly with the April update of Dx9(thanks nath) and with the gfx at 1600x1200 and 4x AA its beautiful. fast and the weapons seem nice and my first kill was a knife fight.

At the mo' im quite happy.

10. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

been playing this almost 2 days nonstop. Pretty good although im beginning to tire of the power plant map.
    It still has some issues iv noticed:

The walkers animation screws up sometime and it slides, usually fixed by standing still and then continuing walking...i dont know if its just for me?

Also the Audio quality seems pretty poor, i dont know if its my configurations but its all on default and bf2 works fine on that.

Also anyone eles think there should be abit more once you destroy the titan? i mean you scramble to jump put and parachute out but i cant help but feel empty? i dont know perhaps im being abit picky.

Oh and there should be abit more time before the titan blows up, id like to admire it from the view at the bottom :D

Sorry for this rant!

-Solidus

11. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Worked fine straight away for me. I'm not to sure about the actual game though, it just seems like a BF2 mod (yes I know it's the same engine). I need to play it for a couple of hours after work tomorrow to get the full picture.

Fake edit:\ Still no proper widescreen support :grr:

12. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

Ok got the following issues / Comments with the Demo ..

1) intermitant crashing - but there fixing this ea.com server issue
    2) Screen flickering - Half black / half proper - very strange but think this is me. Stop and restart game all ok - odd.
    3) Bail out of a Flying Transport as a pilot you get belted on the head by the flyer ! Thus killing you :wallbash: .. the transport just stops in mid air and falls on you. You have to bank the flyer to get out alive :D
    4) You hear 1 second of damage warning then explode !
    5) Landing a Flyer on there Titan is a bit of a skill as to land it on the deck you've got to be carefull not to kill your self by gentlely touching a wall :duh:
    6) Sliding walkers .. quite funny really.
    7) Sniper .. Now ok i can accept that a sniper's gun will rise and fall but not that much ! plus very bloody inaccurate.
    8) Love the Titan gun emplacements .. good fun when your over the battle field .. nice touch.

Over all I think it's going to be a winner, just a shame they haven't done this as an expansion to BF2 plus fixed the issues.

13. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I had a rather strange error I havn't seen mentioned yet (but I havn't read every post yet). When I turned on EAX I could hear every sound on the map, in every direction, everywhere, no matter where I was. It was VERY insane. Oh yeah, and annoying.

I've also noticed it's extremely easy to get killed when exiting a vehicle next to any object. Especially copters, like JesterQ said. And is it just me, or does bullet spread and hit detection seem off? It seems like the weapons don't do enough damage, and even in short burts your aiming goes nuts. I'm not totally new to the BF playstyle so I doubt it's me. I have over 8000 points in BF2, all legitimately, so I'm not doing a pray and spray strategy.

14. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Pfft. I still like Point of Existance mod for BF2 better.
    That said, 2142 has some neat new things, but nothing speactular to warrant the attention it'll grab from BF2.

15. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Are you sure you have an EAX compatable card...

Yer POE is good fun and the "Fallen" map is brilliant, love a good infantry only map :)

Even after a couple of hours play I still have the same opinion, it's just lacking substance, theres nothing "new" about it. It's a step backwards in my opinion, the only thing they are going to gain from this is a truck load of cash. If they take the money they've made from this and plough it back into the franchise thats fair enough but next time round I want to be blown away by something brilliant.

I won't be buying this, theres plenty of decent (other) BF2 mods around the corner and theres bound to be a real gem in there somewhere.

16. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i think the game has come out 2 quick... if you look its only been in recent months that the better half of the mods for bf2 are being released... back in the 1942 days DC and POE were released really early in its life... and those games rocked!!!

17. Breakbread

Breakbread What's a Dremel?

I feel like this should be a $20 downloadable add-on for BF2. The map in the demo is incredibly bland and nowhere near as beautiful and dynamic as any of the BF2 maps.

And why does my super futuristic 22nd century support weapons still overheat? I should be firing ice bullets or something.

Also, what's with the **** ass server browser? What makes them think I want to see server pings in colors and not numbers? The one from BF2 was never accurate anyways, but still. Green represents 1-100 ping. That's crap. I join a green server and end up having 90 ping. Well how do I know the one below that I was thinking about joining didn't have 30 ping?

18. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Doesn't the advanced server browser have numeric ping values?

19. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Takes the piss :blah:

20. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I guess il agree this should be an addon, its not different enough to warrant a whole new game.
    Also il agree the maps are way too bland, they really are depressing but iv only seen one so i hope the other 9 are good.

The gun issue,...well i would guess thats to stop imbalance issues, having automatic guns that never overheat for every class is abit much, they need some flaws instead of everyone picking assault and spraying everyone with bullets.

The advanced tab shows the ping in numbers as mentioned!

I think its a good entertaining game. Il be buying it for sure, it will be interesting to see what the playability developes like, i would like to get to grips with all the other weapons the classes have to offer.

The engineer at the moment seems pretty strong.

Also i think the assualts medi pack was a good move, they died to quick before and now should remain alive a little longer atleast.
    The heal rate of the medipacks needs work, its too slow, at first i thought ot should be instant if you walk into it ? but then again this would be imbalanced if a team is holding out the reactor core or consoles in a bottle neck position and one is placed down and the players simply lay on them for instant heals so yeh........
    Hmm the heal rate needs a little boost i think however.

Also the one map iv seen, the sidipower plant one is very depressing, i hope the other ones are more greeny with trees atleast! some eye candy please!

thats me done :)

Tags: