1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other And Ebay buyer oddity.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 22 May 2015.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You could do it like the press photos when someone makes a donation, you know the one - big smiles, handing over the cheque with one hand and shaking hands.

Like this: http://www.clicsargent.org.uk/sites...ublic/CLIC Court cheque pic.JPG?itok=q7ufkR0o

Make sure she knows beforehand though, so she makes sure she's presentable. There might be some photographers on here that would take the job. Could call the local newspaper as well?

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

No - I don't. However, you have previously listed your jobs!

What you did was suggest, most glibly, that different generations all experience the same potential level of stress, and it seemed as though you made that suggestion regardless of profession. I merely (and briefly, because I'm busy ;) ) suggested that a nine month stint in my previous job (given that I am a different generation to you) might cause you to change your view.

No need to get stressed about it though ;)

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Just because you are sat at home rapidly mashing the F5 button waiting for her reply does not mean she is as eager as you to pick up the item. Like someone else said, if she is a doctor she most likely works Mon-Fri and is waiting until the weekend to sort out minor errands like this. Also if she is anything like most people, when she gets home from work she would be tired and have family issues to attend to, which generally ranks higher in the importance list than picking up some grumpy old ebay seller's PVR.

Next time show a little patience and think about what might be going on in the other person's life before immediately assuming the worst as calling her out as a scammer when you have no evidence this is the case, then making a pointless thread about it. Scammers on eBay are not as prevalent as you think they are and they do not operate as you have described here.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just like to chip in and say that my neighbours are (medical) doctors and they work their arses off - I only really see their cars at the weekend and as you can see from my usual posting times, I'm out early and in lateish.

As others have said, just hold on to the money. eBay keeps your messages anyway, so it'll keep a record of you saying 'err, where are you?'.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Whilst I agree that Kronos is very much jumping to conclusions assuming a scam, I do have to agree it can be a pain in the arse waiting in for someone and they simply don't turn up (especially when they don't make contact to let you know).

Unrelated to ebay, but we have been in a position recently with workmen failing to turn up on the agreed date, only to have them say they were tied up elsewhere when you call them.
    It can get a bit annoying tbh.

I assume from the first post that a pick up date was actually agreed, if so it is pretty poor. If you can't make it you ensure the other person is made aware (obvious exceptions apply).

6. Newton Sporkfondle

Newton Sporkfondle Spork, the all-purpose eating tool!

I don't think a scammer would have been so quick to pay......

7. Mister_Tad

If that's the case, then it's a bit of a cause for a grump, but that's not the impression I got from the first post.

What I understood that to mean was that Kronos offered up days and times which would be suitable, but no specific time was agreed.

If someone tells me "any time during the day", I reply back and confirm "ok, how about thursday at 15:00 ish" and wait for confirmation before turning up. Similarly if I tell someone I can do any time during the day, I'm not going to be waiting in for them until they give me the same confirmation.

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I would.
    Pay by PayPal, collect item in person with the seller having no proof of delivery = profit.

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Good point, I just took it they had agreed - and if not it leaves things a bit open.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Refunded the payment though for some reason this is not instantaneous with Paypal and is 'pending.'

11. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Just so I understand this correctly you didn't specify an exact date just that any time during the day would be fine?

12. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Did she request the refund? What if she turns up this afternoon to pick it up? Personally I would have just waited a bit longer.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You've left the door open for some negative feedback right there.

14. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I'm surprised Kronos didn't title it "Ebay buyer I'm not impressed" lol you do seem to whinge a lot these days still if you didn't there would hardly be any new threads lol

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Not to derail this awesome thread, but you seem to be constantly whining about how crap the forum is (see sig), and how the "members know f'all" (see your 'chit chat' group)

Sounds to us like you want to leave the forum, and the great news is that in my new found position of power I can help you with this today. Would you like my assistance?

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Na I leave when I want but thanks for the offer

17. Mister_Tad

To be fair, the forum is pretty crap, and I'd like to leave as well, but I'm conscious that it would make procrastinating much more difficult, so stay :p

Was it even 48 hours from last contact to initiating a refund? Seems more than a little gung-ho to me, wide open to bad feedback there IMO. I'd not be impressed, and if there was such a time constraint on collection then then that should be called out beforehand.

Perhaps to you 48 hours with no contact feels like forever, but perhaps she doesn't use a smartphone, perhaps she uses a pc for work with no internet access, perhaps she has been working 16 hour shifts for the last two days and the last thing she wants to do when she gets home is sit down at her PC. Perhaps she did sit down at her PC and encountered a dozen messages from you and has gotten a little bit freaked out and has decided she doesn't want to turn up at your house?

Or perhaps she's bought the item and said she can collect to establish your address when you would be in, but actually wanted to know when you would be out, and plans to rob your house with the benefit of that information?

That last one is probably a little more of a stretch than the others, granted. But basically everyone on ebay is a scammer these days.

Last edited: 22 May 2015
  18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Exactly. She receives your message. She goes off and checks her diary/work schedule. Two minutes later the phone rings: her mum has just been taken to hospital with a massive stroke.

Life: it can suddenly turn on a dime.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

If I were the buyer and a seller had done this to me, I'd certainly be inclined to leave them negative feedback. Less than 48 hours after the last contact, through the week when someone may have been too busy to arrange collection for one of an infinite number of possible reasons? Cancelling the sale within this timeframe seems more than just a little petty and basically being awkward for the sake of it, but that's just my 2p.

20. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Have I got this right? You sold something 2 days ago? You said she could collect between 9 and 5? So she probably thinks it's your place of work - going by the hours you gave her. And she hasn't collected it yet or contacted you?

Did you tell her to collect within 24 hours or you'll thcweam and thcweam and thcweam?

Frankly I can't understand why you've got a problem with it.

Guinevere likes this.