1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Another Blue CoolerMaster HAF (12/13/12 Small Update - Watercooling soon!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ModaRobby, 3 Jun 2010.

1. Remmes

Remmes Be One With Your Mod

2. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Very nice work on that side panel my friend, one advice though. If you are
    going to paint that side panel matte black dont use any clear coat. You can make
    it durable by applying 2 coats of primer with 2 hours curing in between and then the next
    day apply the same way 2 layers matte black. Then the third day or more wet sand those
    panels and apply 2 more layers and let them air dry for 2-3 weeks. Sometimes when you combine a clear coat with flat paint it wont be so smooth looking finish. My 2 cents. Mod on :)

3. Remmes

i had it the other way around, used primer on my case then matte black, and it doesn't look that grea,t but not bad either, didn't use prime ron other parts and they look good, used a clear coat on them ( ofcourse also a matte 1)

4. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

I'll do a bit of research and asking around and see what I come up with. Thanks for the heads up though :thumb: I would much rather know now than have to redo all the paint after already painting it!

Well that is just amazing! :jawdrop: I might have to pick up some engraving bits for my Dremel and see if I have the precision hands for this. Thanks for the idea.

5. ModaRobby

Oh you used a Satin Clear Coat. (low/no gloss) Hmmm. I will be experimenting this coming week...

6. Remmes

yep, if you use a glossy clear coat, your matte/satin black paint will still become all glossy lol

7. ModaRobby

Well I have 1,105 views and 3 people commenting. Lol! Anyway, today it was 98 degrees Farenheit all day while I was at work. So when I got home I decided it would be a perfect day to de-rivet my case and do some painting.

Update 3: Case Disassembly

As usual I forgot to take "in progress" pics but here ya go anyway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there is that. HOWEVER, after being in the hot a** sun for about two hours de-riveting my HAF I decided to go inside and take a shower and grab something to eat. I came back out after about an hour and a half and guess what?

It was raining....

Again

So that is where I am right now. Tomorrow is a day off for me so I will start up again tomorrow. Damn Florida and these afternoon summer showers... Well until then, good night.

8. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Great work on that window cut out man and that blue looks tasty :)

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That's some nice work there buddy. Personally I can't stand the sight of a HAF so any improvement is a good one in my books :D, keep it up.

10. dembones

dembones What's a Dremel?

coming along nicely, will stay tuned to this

11. ModaRobby

Lol, thanks bro. I actually love the rugged industrial look of a HAF. But it looks so much better in blue.

Thanks Editor. I'm still waiting for an Evolution update!

Good to hear bones :thumb:

I'll be uploading some pics of the painting I got done this morning. I'm just waiting for some motivation to deal with imageshack. :D

12. ModaRobby

It was actually sunny all day until about 9pm. So I managed to get the first coat of primer/enamel.

Update 4: First Coat O' Paint​

Last time you saw it all stripped down. Now I finally get to throw a first coat on and hang them on a clothes line with coat hangers. High tech, yea boi.

The paints of choice. Sail Blue looks better than it sounds.
    [​IMG]

So here are some shots of what I got done.
    [​IMG]

Mobo Tray and 200mm Fan Blade
    [​IMG]

Rear I/O Shield
    [​IMG]

The cheapest tools on Earth
    [​IMG]

Everything hanging up. Yes I am painting the front mesh bay covers.
    [​IMG]

I even painted the "No-tool" buttons to match the color scheme.
    [​IMG]

And then later in the day I realized that I painted two pieces the wrong color... :wallbash: So I had to wait for the enamel to cure some and then sand em down and repaint them after washing them off with a lil soap and water.
    [​IMG]

And a nice Flat Black.
    [​IMG]

Next update will be as boring as watching paint dry (pun intended). It will just be the second coat and some other interesting details. I won't dare bore you with clear coat pictures. :D

EDIT: I also forgot to show my arts and crafts for the day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Jun 2010
  13. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I really like the blue paint you are using. The stencil is pretty cool also.

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

The paint looks great. Are you using primer?

15. ModaRobby

My urge to draw graffiti is still there. Lol.

I didn't use primer on the bare metal pieces. I just sanded them and then sprayed the color on bare metal. On the roof section, it was already painted black so I wetsanded that and then followed with a coat of primer. So I'm going to let the enamel harden for a few days and then spray another coat.

16. stonedsurd

What sort of paint is this (exact brand, color and price)?

I never get those results with the rattle cans I use.

17. ModaRobby

Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel (color 7724830 - Sail Blue) $3.98

These are sold at Home Depot for sure. That is where I got mine. I don't know how it came out so good either because I've never spray painted before. I just made sure that each stroke across the piece I was painting was really even and they sort of overlapped each other. I sprayed the coat on sort of thick but not enough to make it run.

I'm also using a Rustoleum Gray Primer and Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Gloss clear coat.

Here's a pic of exactly what I'm using. The can of clear coat (left-most can) is actually a clear satin I bought on accident. The clear coat I am using now is silver and says Clear Gloss on the bottom right.
    [​IMG]

18. stonedsurd

Awh. We don't get Rustoleum in India. Bah, mod on. I'll wallow in pity on my own time.

19. ModaRobby

International shipping? And why does your location say CA USA/Delhi? I know Delhi is in India but why did you also put California?

20. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Oups I didnt read the post that you sanded the surface. I was going to say you should sand. Prime always though in any surface!