1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Any of you stopped smoking?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zinfandel, 30 Dec 2012.

1. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

RAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRHGUH4EOBFWE

Ahem...

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Best tip I had was to identify what I associate most with the smoking "ritual" and avoid that as much as possible at least for a while (for me it was coffee and walking the dog)

I also found the patches helped. If you're going to go the patches route, go talk to your chemist & sign up for the NHS smoking cessation programme, it'll save you quite a lot of money & gives you a clear target to work towards.

Sadly in my case I'm still using the patches to some degree but I have absolutely no desire to have a smoke. I used to crumble whenever the mother-in-law came to visit but I've come to detest the smell of stale cigarette smoke now.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I haven't actually ever tried to stop smoking. And unfortunately I start smoking I think when I was about 14, and now I'm 26 that means I have been smoking for 12 years! I have only just made that realisation in my head. So that's pretty awful. Though I have cut down smoking alot last couple of years, especially as I don't take cigarette breaks at work anymore. I only have maybe 6 or 7 cigs a day.

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Thats either a man who is struggling or a man who has just had a smoke.

5. Scroome

Scroome Modder

My partner had hypnotherapy to help him quite smoking.

While I'm not entirely convinced about it's merrits, it appeared to work for him, although it certainly isn't the cheapest method to quit and I'd only recommend it if the conventional methods don't seem to work out.

6. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Started smoking 17 years ago. Tried to stop several times but only lasting a month or so, then finally quit cold turkey in 2007, then 3 years later had a huge freak-out and started smoking again. Managed to quit again this year and been off smoking for about 2 months. I always quit smoking for the wrong reasons (a woman) and end up starting again over the same reasons.

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

You know its serious when there is a 4 in there...

8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I quit for two months because of my ex, I hated it and started smoking when not with her....naughty lol

9. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Alright alright I failed...

There's always tomorrow.

10. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

I dunno if it's true but I heard the nicotine stays in your body for 3 days. After that it's just psychological.

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

No idea if it's real or not, but that made it easier for me...
    I was on a pack-a-day habit for 12 years or so, and quit 3-and-a-bit years ago cold turkey.

Cold Turkey is IMHO the way to go, though it CAN be harsh on some people. While it was easy for me, my other half was not as lucky, and there were points where I wanted to punch her (she quit 6 months after me).

Did I chance my habits? Nope. I just stopped smoking.

A mate of mine did it a few years before me, and he always said: "Stop thinking like an ex-smoker, and start thinking like a non smoker"... It sounds a bit idiotic at first, but the two are actually very different. An Ex-Smoker keeps thinking how he doesn't smoke ANYMORE (causing the feeling of missing it and such). A Non-smoker just doesn't smoke.
    It's probably the best advice I can give to anyone. That, and cold turkey.

Good luck in trying again. :thumb:

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Too Bad,

Perhaps instead of going cold turkey you could try to gradually extend the amount of time between cigarettes.

So instead of morning, break, lunch, break, and so on. Just wait till break for your first one. Keep with that for a while and extend it out again. First one after lunch.

Its all about the psychological triggers really, to the point that I wonder how addictive nicotine really is. The further you remove associating a situation from smoking the better. Also the less situations you put yourself in which you associate with smoking the better.

Definitely avoid drinking or going to the pub for a while. Really booze and cigarettes is a magical combination. So its best to avoid the booze which weakens will power. I'm coming up on two years off them and spending time in the smoking section of the pub can still be a challenge. But not insurmountable.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It happens mate. I'm taking a long term approach and gradually reducing. Both my dad and brother went cold turkey several times and went back, even after a few years.

I'm finding a gradual reduction working well for me, working it out of my life so it's less of an issue.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I was diagnosed with Squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsil 3 years ago, a cancer mainly caused by smoking and drinking both of which I was excessive in my enjoyment. I first stopped smoking during treatment as the fags tasted horrible, chemo/radiation therapy play havoc with the taste buds. I also lost the ability to swallow for over 7 months so no drinking either, (apart from pouring vodka and coke down my feeding tube0 but that's another story.

I started swallowing 7 months after I finished my treatment but unfortunately I did not get my sense of taste back so beer tasted absolutely disgusting and still does and I had not smoked for 7 months either but had not lost the urge.

One day I though knickers I wanted a drink so I bought a bottle of vodka and a large bottle of diet coke and sat playing Left 4 Dead 2 and about an hour into my session I really wanted a *** and went and pinch a couple off my good lady. That was it I was smoking again.

Trying to shorten this story, I never fully recovered from cancer and more particular the treatment which in my case was devastating and left me somewhat impaired and had to give up work. Now contrary to what you have been lead to believe being on benefits is not a life of luxury and I simply could not afford to smoke. I saw my doctor who prescribed Champix which certainly helped even if I did again suffer from the side effects. But I did give up smoking and this time I do not still have the cravings.

I believe that the first time I gave up was easy because I had other more serious issues to contend with, the second time i gave up was so much harder but far more successful and as I said no real cravings.

But the odd thing is I would probably start smoking again if I could afford it as I enjoyed it. Strange I know given the cancer I suffered, but I'm 59 and have very few pleasures these days.

I have not become a rabid non smoker like some of us become, my GF still smokes and it does not bother me but I must admit I do the cleaner, less smelly atmosphere I now live in.

Best of luck though.

15. adidan

I wish they'd stop it with all those god damn adverts though, each time I see one I want a ***. The whole attitude in the UK about 'don't do this, you can't smoke there, this & that' is counterproductive for me.

While I was in Vienna there were segregated smoking rooms with good ventilation just about everywhere, specific cigarette bins on normal waste bins so I very rarely saw *** ends anywhere and the fact that there was a civilised approach to smoking made me smoke less.

16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I agree. They did little to sway me and just reminded me of smoking which then made me want to smoke. The last thing an anti smoking ad should do is actually show someone smoking.

17. adidan

It's not like any smoker is under the misguided assumption that they're health sticks.

18. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

14 hours and 31 minutes in...........no one's dead yet.

I'm gonna go with that being a positive.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Of course it is.

20. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Good luck :)

Too many people convince themselves smoking is good and fine, it isnt- you sir are an inspiration. Well done and again, good luck :)