1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS X99-S USB 3 not functioning

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 22 Jan 2015.

1. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I've had a quick nose about and it does seem to be an issue with the ASMedia drivers and Win 7. I tried other board manufacturers and they all list the same driver version as the one Asus list. Win 8 does seem to avoid these issues so you may want to consider upgrading but it's a bit of an extreme workaround to what seems to be a very common problem. ASMedia don't seem to list generic drivers either annoyingly.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

It's a driver for supporting USB 3.1, or so I believe, so I'm not too pushed about it since I can't get the USB 3.0 to bloody work :D

One of the main reasons I did the overhaul and specifically this board, was to have the slew of USB 3.0 ports at the back so that I could have my peripherals and external drives working at nice speeds and not clutter the front I/O port.

3. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

Is it worth booting off a current Ubuntu live release to see if the ports work under that? If it is an issue with windows 7 you might find I fixed with the free upgrade to 10 next month.

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I will be jumping aboard the Windows 10 bandwagon when it's available, but it's just really annoying not having use of the ports since I upgraded a few months ago. I've got a USB 3 external HDD sitting here trying to transfer 465GB of data for work and it's taking an eon. An X-55 Rhino gathering dust (as well as my Elite: Dangerous account as a result) and more cables hanging out the front of my PC than a Hentai tentacle scene...

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

The Intel controller does the 2x USB 3.0 headers on the board for the front panel, all the USB 3.0 ports on the back are controlled by the ASMedia controller unfortunately.

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Balls :(

I can't get my hands on the USB 3.0 upgrade kit for the Obsidian 800D case anywhere, so far.

So, it appears that I have to wait for Windows 10 and a full, fresh install to get the USB 3.0 ports to work? Great. They kind of didn't mention that anywhere, or it was my blatant ignorance to the issue.

8. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I think its just as case of the ASMedia drivers being the problem rather than the OS.

Just to rule out Asus' driver, here's a link to ASRock's ASMedia drivers. They are slightly older than the Asus ones (v1.16.15.0 vs 1.16.23.0).

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Tried that and it just comes up with this again:

[​IMG]

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Here is a list of the USB devices on Device Manager.

[​IMG]

11. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I trust you've already messed about with the various USB settings in the BIOS and that the ASMedia USB3.0 controller is enabled in the BIOS under the advanced, onboard devices configuration?

I'm out of ideas now really. The fact it doesn't show up might be a failed controller or a setting or something that we're missing.

Might be worth also trying a Linux disk just to see if it they work in another OS. Do they work in the BIOS?

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I'll double check the BIOS in a few minutes.

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

All the individual USB ports are set to "enabled" in the BIOS.

The ASMedia controller isn't listed in the onboard devices though, however anything with ASM in the name has been set to "enabled" now as well.

That singular issue in the device manager keeps coming back after a restart.

Still no luck with the ports.

14. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

I'll compare with my device manager when I get home, I get the same error with the asmedia driver but ports are definitely working :/

15. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

That right there is a concern. I think there is a hardware fault with the controller and that's why it's not listed in the BIOS nor in device manager.

All I can suggest at the moment is to either get a couple of these or one of these so you can use the front panel Intel USB 3.0 ports while sorting out a replacement board.

It's almost certainly not the news you wanna hear but I'm all out of ideas :(

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Here's some photos of the BIOS at the moment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Since this is looking like a faulty controller and I cannot RMA the board (still hopeful that W10 will correct the problem), I've ordered one of these:

[​IMG]

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Installed the previously posted Inateck USB 3.0 PCI-E card and it's working great so far.

All 5 ports were immediately taken by my keyboard, mouse, headset, X55 Rhino and external drive.

Happy days.

Now I just need to hope that the upgrade to Windows 10 will sort out the other USB ports!

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

So, I did the upgrade (clean install) to W10 and still no luck with my USB 3 ports on the motherboard.

The USB 2 ports (of which there are 2) are working fine. The 8 x USB 3.0 are still not functioning.

I have my X55 Rhino plugged in, lights come on the joystick, but the actual device is not detected and nothing at all on the throttle.

USB is all fully enabled in the BIOS, fast boot is disabled. Not a clue what to do with this.

I'm short of functionality due to this, especially with VR stuff on the way.

I can't afford the downtime to RMA the board and flummoxed as to what to do. Any thoughts?

This is the list of USB controllers in Device Manager. At least 5 of those are the PCI-E card that I got (Fresco).

[​IMG]