1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"beQuiet"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ferox, 2 Feb 2004.

1. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

two thums up on that case, man!!! :thumb: :thumb:

I've actually had the exact same idea in my head for a while, and you've made the case just as I had pictured it!! Of course I'm not going to make it now, but I would probably never have gotten around to making it anyway, so it's great to see that SOMEONE did!! :p

BTW, where did you buy those cooling elements? they're friggin' AWESOME :D

:dremel: HAPPY MODDING! :dremel:

2. ferox

ferox What's a Dremel?

I got Ziehl-ebm here in Oslo to order them from Fischer Elektronik, they have a huge collection of different cooling elements and an online product catalog you can browse through. Just send an e-mail to Ziehl with information on which products and how many you want to order.

Audun

3. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

Excellent mod, again, something i've always been meaning to do. excellent for a media centre where you dont want any noise.

one question - isn't having the power button on the eject switch a bit dangerous? though i guess if the power needs to be held down for a few seconds before operating it shouldnt be a problem.

4. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Didn't you want to keep it as quiet as possible? What I'm wondering is what would you be ejecting?

5. ferox

ferox What's a Dremel?

I'm ejecting discs from the "slot-in" DVD-ROM. -You really need the possibillity to play DVD's in a real HTPC system! To keep it more silent I will use a little, nifty, program called "CDbremse" to keep it from spinning at full speed. This combination of the silent "slot-in" drive and the "CDbremse" prog. will make it nearly noiseless when playing DVD's. Of course, when you don't play DVD's the drive won't make ANY noise! :)

Audun

6. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Didn't catch that when you first showed your case materials, but I noticed the slot on the front panel. The noise really wont be a problem when you have a movie or music or TV playing, so the DVD drive is excusable :p

As far as media playback, it's got enough power to watch anything, you'll be fine. I might add a bit more RAM, but I'm paranoid about RAM :worried:

Are you cutting all the metal yourself, or having a shop do it? It isn't easy to cut 50mmx50mm of solid copper pipe.

7. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

re noise: a regular DVD player for your TV has to spin discs so it'll be as quiet as them, probably quieter.

8. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Just a thought, but don't compact flash cards have a certan ammount of reads/writes they can take before they become unusable? Have you thought as to how long it will last running windows or any os for that matter?

Otherwise, looks good :D

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Very nice project!

CompactFlash cards should be able to take a fair number of writes: here's some info I Googled up (thanks Barry, whoever you are ;) ):

If you use it for the OS only (not data or swapfile) there should be relatively little writing back in any cae. I was thinking of using a CF for the OS partition on my machine, but I guesstimate Windows XP needs a comfortable 2Gb space and real solid-state (not mini HDD) CFs come only in upto 1Gb flavour... :( unless I'm wrong.

EDIT: I was. Lexar does a solid-state CF upto 4Gb! :jawdrop: I guess I should take a look at that CF to IDE converter again... :naughty:

EDIT again: 4Gb card = £870,--; 2Gb card = £440,-- :eeek: Hmmm...perhaps I'll stick with HDDs for now, until the price comes down a bit...

Last edited: 2 Feb 2004
  10. planki

planki ...

Ive built my own htpc based around the M1000N board but using a cubid 2699r case im very happy with it but i need a remote or wireless keyboard/mouse. Can i ask where you got yours from and what you think of it in terms of how far away can you use it, is there any lag??, how long do the batteries last etc. Thanks!

11. coorz

coorz Miffed

That's an utterly brilliant stuff, i love all those DIY solutions! :thumb:

12. ferox

ferox What's a Dremel?

I got mine from an webshop here in Norway, they have an english version of the site too. ELFA, search for: "cordless mini keyboard" in the Search field. Since I've modded the reciever and have put the IR-transistor inside an plexicube, the reception is a bit weakened. But even then I can use it up to 10-15m away! The batteries last LONG, almost as long as in an normal remote controll unit. There is no lag when the reception is good, but when the signal is weak you can experience some lag.

Audun

13. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

as far as the flash card capacity goes, do you necessarily need to run xp in this application? i know 98se takes less than 0.5 gb to install, and runs all media apps fine. You could then use a litestep shell or similar to customise the 98 desktop to your needs.

14. rejsor

rejsor What's a Dremel?

This is just too nice!

If Lian Li created this clean look, you definitely made it perfect.

15. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

[​IMG]

16. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

Sarky git :)

My post was in reply to Nexxo, who mentioned fitting on xp, tho i didnt quote him. People often dismiss older stuff out of principle but in this situation i think 98 would fit the bill perfectly here. 98 or linux. but windows is better for media apps. you could run windvd, divx player and winamp, all lean on the resources and therefore not going to tax cooling like ferox's.

Infact I have a tiny 128 meg thumbdrive and a mate suggested i could get a lite version of 98 that would even fit on that.... (i'll have a look later; this reminded me)

EDIT - I stand corrected - I failed to read the first post. Mod on guys

Last edited: 2 Feb 2004
  17. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

I think he was refering to the first post of the thread where ferox said:

BTW ferox, love the work your doing. It realy looks great. :thumb:

Oh, and if someone were wanting to buy one without doing the modding themselves, check this link out.

-Ged

18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I know, sorry
    just needed an excuse to use my smillie.

sorry for highjacking your thread ferox.

Ferox - how much has this all cost?

19. Sir Overclock

Sir Overclock What's a Dremel?

Passive Cooling at its best. Great work :thumb:

20. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

hmmm.. some great stuff at Fischer's. :clap: Gonna be using that in future projects. Thanks :D