1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"beQuiet"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ferox, 2 Feb 2004.

1. PTK

PTK What's a Dremel?

:rock:

Thats so SWEEEEEEET.

PTK

2. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Very very nice work. Got me drueling for sure.

Now if I only had metal to use my sheet-metal break on
    :duh:

One question though...
    What is the big black connector coming out at a 45* angle? for the TV card perhaps?

3. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

Looks like a SCART cable to me, what card has SCART contact?

4. ferox

ferox What's a Dremel?

Hey, thanks for your coments! :)

=>starbuck3733t: That's an ordinary Scart Connector, use it to connect beQuiet to my TVset!

Working on a new update folks! :D

Audun

5. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

gud I'll stay tuned =)

6. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

It would be net if you could make a keyboard with no moving parts, using capacitive touch sensing. though with 100+ keys that would be a lot of IC's

7. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

it does seem to be scart, i would assume hes got one of those video + audio to scart adaptors inside the PC so he doesnt need it hanging off the TV.

Nice work ferox, i like the attention to detail! :D

RoB

8. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Lovely :D

thats a really nice set-top box youve made yourself there :D

9. ferox

ferox What's a Dremel?

It IS an scart connector. I have just connected the s-video and the audio out on the MB to the right pins on the scart. This way I can easily connect "beQuiet" to any normal TVset with just an scartcable, no s-video, RCA cables and no converters needed!

10. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

i just can t wait till your next update

mod on dude...you re great

11. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

12. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

[offtopic]yes it is, more or less... I've never seen a TV without a scart plug (even the old thing my grandpa used to own had one :D )
    most people use it to connect a VCR, DVD-player or Game Console to the TV.[/offtopic]

:brrr: update :brrr:

13. ferox

ferox What's a Dremel?

OK, folks, here’s the THIRD part of the ”beQuiet” work log.

Enjoy! ;)

-Sorry for the bad quality of the first three pictures, my digicam lost its mind! So I had to use a crappy webcam.

[​IMG]
    Next step after cutting the top plate was to fit the mesh I was going to use.

[​IMG]
    The empty hole in the middle was going to be fitted with a plex window. In this window I engraved a “Mute” symbol, the I placed five blue LEDs around the edge of the window.

[​IMG]
    This is how the logo looks like now, but I launched a competition on my Norwegian forum, inviting people to design a new one for “beQuiet”. So I don’t know what it will look like in the end!

[​IMG]
    Borrowed a new digicam! :)
    After taking care of the airflow trough the top plate, I had to concentrate on the bottom plate. I marked where I could cut out holes without affecting how the hardware was fastened.

[​IMG]
    Then I dremeled it out and cut out some fine masked mesh to fit over the holes.

[​IMG]
    A shot of the finished “blowhole”, kinda “stylish” look!

[​IMG]
    A wider shot of the completed bottom plate.
    Finishing this part, I also finished most of my designing/building work on “beQuiet”. After this I just had to put all the parts together one last time!

Wouldn’t it have been nice if you could buy one of these kits in the stores? ;)

[​IMG]
    Here they are, all the parts that altogether forms the “beQuiet”. Just lying there, ready to get put together a last time!

[​IMG]
    Starting putting the mainframe together, mounted the back panel and the cooling elements to the bottom plate. Threaded all the screw holes one more time, to be sure everything fitted perfectly.

[​IMG]
    Then I fastened my custom I/O board, this time with screws directly trough the connectors too.

[​IMG]
    Here’s a shot of the I/O board from the back of the case, see the new screws?

[​IMG]
    Next up was to place all the internal hardware, everything in place and all loose cables fastened.

[​IMG]
    A shot of how it looks like from the underside.

[​IMG]
    With all the hardware in place I stared on fitting the top plate with logo onto the rest of the chassis. This is a view of the underside of the top plate, the red tape is there to prevent light from escaping into the rest of the case.

[​IMG]
    The top is in place and the constructing/building of “beQuiet” is officially finished! But a true modder is never finished with his work! ;)

Future plans/things yet to do:

-I have not put in the TV card yet because I use it in my main machine, but I will soon, then I also have to add a RF connector to the back panel. Besides this I plan to sleeve the wiring with some black sleaving and also remove the ugly yellow sticker on the DVDrom.

I plan to write another part in this log describing in more detail the software I plan to use and how I will configure it. I will also try to take a couple of “action” shots of the machine in the near future.

But for now I leave you with some eyecandy shots of the “beQuiet” in all its glory! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that’s my story about a little project called “beQuiet”, hope you liked it!

Take care!

Audun

Last edited: 11 Jul 2004
  14. Fubar

Fubar What's a Dremel?

looks pretty nice... but could you take the sticker off the cd rom?

15. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

I like it :D
    Reminds me of gaming consoles
    so awesome

16. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

ME LIKE!!! :rock: THAT THING IS SO FRIGGIN COOL!!! :hip:

i also really like the plexi window. it looks real professional-like. very nice, pick up some chicks with that. geek chicks are the hottest! :naughty:

17. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

THAT IS A SPICY MEATBALL.

Looks really, really nice and smooth. The heatsinks look cool on the outside.

18. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

Wow thats really kewl!! I like the industrial look with all the bare metal. Very cool idea with the heatsinks!!

19. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

this is one of the best pc's of its kind, nice heatsink too.
    Wonderful cuts... and good planning.
    all in all a great case. :thumb:

20. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Wow, I must say, I'm bloomin' impressed... Especially as I tend to look at HTPC projects and usually go "where's the point..." but this is clean, and wonderfully completed. And the IO panel looks mighty good, makes for a very good deliberate look, as oposed to sticking a few card in a box with sloppy cuts and calling it a mod.

I would be proud to have seen (and most likely) bought this from a shop.

Well Done.