1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows BF3 boycott due to preorder DLC in Full swing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AcidJiles, 13 Jun 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

It would be too costly and painful to go to the town where I pre-ordered my copy (a bus into town, then a bus from one town to the other... followed by the same two trips in reverse).
    While I'm not too bothered about the cost, or the three to four hours it would take... my poor leg can't endure that much.

2. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Yeah, giving us stuff for free for preordering is definitely a sign that they don't give a ****.

How is this 'boycott' attempting to get a better deal for the consumer? It seems to be more of a whinge for the sake of having a whinge than a campaign with a real point.

Who's paying more for this content? Considering that the most basic edition available for preorder is the 'Limited Edition' which is priced no more than you'd expect for any other game at release then you're not paying more for the 'Back to Karkand' pack. And Game/Gamestation is selling the Physical Warfare edition for hte same price so you're not paying for the 'exclusive' items or unlock either.

You're getting additional content for free. You're not being milked or price-gouged. You preorder BF3 for the same price as you'd pay for any other A-list title and you get free access to Back to Karkand when it's released. And if you buy it from Game or Gamestation you get early access to the DAO shotgun, an 'exclusive' LMG (which will no doubt have a functional equivalent that everyone else will be able to unlock in next to no time) and two exclusive weapons mods which from teh sounds of it may add a little variety but won't actually do anything to give you any sort of competitive advantage.

3. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

hehe, I sense the frustration. I actually got quite good in armor, mainly for the fact that being a ground unit was like being a hamburger in a fat kids camp. I started to play heli as well and overall vehicles again because of fat-kid-hamburger joke. I always felt that jets where the nitch vehicle, so I wonder how they will work out in BF3 - perhaps massive scaled maps will make them easier to handle and such.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm pretty good in a tank but tend to stay out of them on jet and heli maps because you just get your ass hammered, seeing as I'm a heli whore and reasonable in jet it's kinda hypocrytical.

That's the one main thing I hope to see in BF3 and that's the over powered and over balanced jet being brought to it's knees, two hits from an igla or shoulder launched sam and that should be that, no surrender jet whores.................

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

*sigh. The PC gaming community is just digging its self a bigger and bigger hole.

will_123 likes this.
  6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

How so? Me and my 1/4 mile sized tank will dominate the map, and while we are at it I expect tactical nukes and artillery that actually does some damage. ;)

Seriously though, I hope the new balance system actually works this time around. And please EA for the love of everything, have a hardcore mode.

7. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Someone woke up on the wrong side of bed today didn't they.

Somehow you think we're defending faceless corporations simply because we can. No, i'm not defending them, i'm simply calling out the reasons for this particular boycott to be relatively tame/petty/insignificant compared to other Day One DLC offers.

And also like i've stated before, there's nothing wrong with trying to get the best deal, everyone wants what is best for them. However in reality that's a very narrow minded view of the world and selfishness gets noone anywhere. And no, i don't mean that as an insult, i mean it as a statement and my own person opinion.

It's quite easy for you to say it's trivially easy to produce. It's just as trivially easy for someone to do some work, get paid and earn the money for the DLC.

DICE has now officially stated that the DLC won't have significant effects on gameplay experience, so that's really that point down the drain with regards to BF3.

And as i said before, were DICE to actually produce some OP piece of DLC then yes, i'd be on the boycott bandwagon, but as it stands the DLC is worthless to me.

Somehow you think you're better than us simply because you're "sticking it to the man"? That's rather rich isn't it. I'll stand up for things i believe in tyvm.

I'd much rather be proud and say "i don't give a **** about the Physical Warfare Pack" as opposed to joining the boycott for some half-hearted reason like "it gives players a minute advantage from Day One".

Truth is that the times are changing and PC games aren't as profitable as they once were due to Consoles. Now it's taken a relatively long time for Console pricing models to affect the PC and either we can say "No", stand up to them and flatly refuse and thus pave the way for PC Game development to halt completely. Or we can simply go with the times and accept the changes as part of the natural evolution of the gaming industry.

Now noone's going to like what i've said just there, but ultimately people are going to have to deal with it. I don't think any "Faceless Corporation" is really going to care about the PC Community since the majority of their profits are turned via consoles these days.

I mean it's rather obvious that we don't see eye to eye here. I personally don't have a problem with anyone boycotting BF3, i'm just stating my personal opinion of the situation, everyone's entitled to their own decisions/opinions.

Digi likes this.
  8. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I think pre-ordering is in my favour, which is why I pre-ordered this back in March and I'm happy to keep it that way because I think the pre-order does actually provide value for money.

Just look at the price. If you're planning to buy the game, and I think a lot of people on this thread will be, then how much would you like to pay? The game will have a recommended retail price of £34.99 on the PC. I've paid nothing so far but when the game is dispatched to me, I'll pay £29.91, a saving of 15%. Tell me how actually saving money isn't good value, please.

9. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

+1 Totally. A fantastic PC release and yet we find something to whine about.

SHOVELS AT THE READY!

10. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Hell nothings gonna stop my pre-order.

I want my advantages.

Really doesn't bother me..

11. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

really dont get why people care about this so much?
    The small "advantage" you get will only be effective for the first few hours of gameplay like i said before.. you will unlock way better gear in the first day easily.

I dont think its a bad thing giving dice a few extra dollor as i would pay £100 for the standard version if thats what they priced it at. I think paying £29.99 for the limted edtion or what ever for such a high class game is pretty dam good imo...

Now if they had an exclusive body armor set making them take more hits or night vision then i would be miffed a bit.

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

The physical warfare pack is exclusive to certain retailers. Those retailers are not available in Ireland. That's that sorted. Also, I want to EARN my DAO-12, not be handed it when I first enter the game.

I'll be ordering BF3 through ZiiP Gamestore. And yes, a preorder through there. Supporting independant retailers. Same game as everyone else and the Karkand expansion is in every single copy of the game pre-ordered anyway.

Yeah, my sentance structure is not the best this morning, coffee hasn't kicked in yet, sorry.

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

As others said - Back to Karkand is pretty much something like BC2:Vietnam. So you get the DLC for free, and you complain, because later they will be maybe sold separately. Back to Karkand will not change your BF3 experience simply due to the fact that you will need separate servers for it - like you need separate Vietnam servers.

14. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

This.

As I said earlier, I boycotted MW2 because there was a lot to be aggrieved about. But boycotting BF3 because they off pre-order perks?? That's insane.

Do you guys really have a monopoly on wisdom? Do you think that after all the good work EA has done to earn back some favour in the PC gaming market they are going to blow it all on a few pre-order perks.

*IF* the pre-order kits and weapons are exclusive, then they will be cosmetically different - there will be no uber-kit in there. If any of it makes a real difference, it will be unlockable. The extra maps will not be exclusive for ever. I expect perhaps you will be able to pay for them in the short-term or perhaps they will release them for free before long.

In the good old days, you would get a healthy discount for pre-ordering, for showing faith in the games. Now you pay full price, and you can expect at least a 10-20% discount on most games if you purchase a couple of weeks after launch. So to coax you into an early order, they offer you some perks - seems very sensible to me.

15. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

You are so right. We should be trying to reward publishers for making PC focussed titles, not demonstrating what a bunch of neurotic winners we are.

16. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

+1 (if I could, apparently I have to spread it around!) Perfectly weighted response with all the critical points hit right on the head.

Maps bother me more - it means splitting a community. Give back UT99/2k3/2k4 - so much support and such a thriving community. That's how games should be made if you want to keep people in the long term. :sigh:

17. rhiridflaidd

rhiridflaidd What's a Dremel?

Be interesting to see what game the BF3 boycott steam group are playing on the day of launch.

Should be worth a screenshot.

:duh:

Never fails.

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well said.

any game title that makes PC platform a priority should not be boycott'd. especially when the difference is just a few weapons.

19. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

It has nothing to do with getting stuff for free. As if you cant see what what is really happening. They are arbitrarily making the content 'exclusive' when it could have been in the game for everybody, but instead chose to create a tiered system whereby some users have access to weapons/items that others cant have access to, just so they can milk some more dollars . In a First Person Shooter game, this kind of this thing is 100% ridiculous. No question about it. Maps are different because if I have a mappack and you dont, you will play in a different server with other users that also dont have the mappack, so you dont lose out in the same sense that having people in your server with different weapons/items that you cant touch does. But to inherently create a system which from the start is already skewed is a complete and utter shambles, and hopefully this kind of thing is not the future for online gaming.

Just imagine for one second if Robert Bowling (the PR guy for Infinity Ward) came out and said there would be exclusive weapons and items for people that preordered MW3. The cod community would have his head on a silver platter quicker than you could shout soft mick (and thats coming from a community that has to put up with Activision's money hoarding crap constantly). It would be suicide. EA are literally putting fingers up in your face and people are like 'who cares'. :grr:

20. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I didn't see a pre-order link on Steam, therefore I won't be pre-ordering ... until one shows up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.