1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-Tech Brexit Poll

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Pookie, 8 Jun 2016.

?

Should we be EU members?

1. In

74 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Out

75 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Shake it all about

15 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Pretty sure the dictionary definition of Politician includes "professional liar"

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Nexxo for PM. :p

3. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

^^ only if his red dress forms part of his election campaign

4. Risky

Risky Modder

What on earth do you mean?

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Can you throw in free holidays on the ISS?

And jetboots? :hip:

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well starting with parliaments one elects members using proportional representation, i.e 20% of the vote gives you 20% of the power, and the other uses an electoral district (constituency) voting system, i.e 13% of the vote can give you next to no power.

One uses qualified majority voting (at least 72% or representing 65% of the population), the other uses a first past the post system that can be unrepresentative of the population.

Moving onto the executive body, one proposes its head of state from the party with the most elected members of parliament and then that proposition is voted upon by the whole of parliament, the other has a unelected hereditary head of state. One then allows elected ministers to propose heads of departments that are then put to the vote in parliament, the other allows elected ministers to put whomever they want in the position.

This is where similarities start to break down a little but, one has an institution made up from the elected heads of nations while the other has an unelected hereditary upper house.

I've probably missed some bits 'n' peices and could be mistaken in my understanding on the working of it all but that's the general gist of it.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Also governments local enough to have at least some clue how the population feels (talking councils and such) have relatively little power.