1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2017 thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 27 Nov 2016.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

C4 have announced which races they'll be showing live...

[​IMG]

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Wait, did they not show all races live last year? We (Star Sports in India) got the C4 commentary (audio only) for our live broadcasts.

Or do they commentate the races anyway, even if they aren't broadcasting live on home TV?

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

They still attend to commentate the race - they show extended highlights of the races they cannot show live later in the day, complete with commentary.

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Ah, got it.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

6. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Largely due to the distribution of TV monies, it needs to be fairer.

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I wonder what came first. Impending collapse cause Pascal to jump to Sauber or the Jump to Dauber and no engine deal adding to the rising costs and therefore collapse?

8. RedFlames

I think it's down to the fact you get some [albeit not much in f1 terms] prize money for 10th, and f-all for 11th because the current arrangements only cover the top 10 teams.

Had Manor kept 10th in the constructors, we'd probably be talking about sauber going under instead.

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Engine cost was sorted, looks like it was Pascals move an the fact no sponsors want to commit due to the teams iffy financial situation/

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I felt quite sad when I heard that on the radio earlier. It's a shame - the smaller teams really seem to have a rough ride these days.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Mercedes alone probably kept manor afloat last year. How many times do you see the manor on tv? Would be the teams argument.

More worrying would be the lack of a British gp, with the sport also been Sky only from around 2020 I would struggle to see it having a major future in Britain.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2017
  12. RedFlames

13. RedFlames

So what everyone suspected would happen, happened...

Bottas -> Merc
    Wehrlein -> Sauber
    Massa puts away the pipe and slippers for a year

So assuming Manor is indeed toast, that's the 2017 driver lineups sewn up.

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I think they will fold unfortunately, unless we see a last minute Ron purchase which is doubtful.

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I agree.

I read a few days ago that they got a stay of execution by being allowed to run a modified 2016 car and slowly cutting staff rather than axing them all immedietly. They also don't have to resubmit for The crash test. This at least allows them to enter and have more time to get a buyer. The article also stated they can miss up to the first three races before being withdrawn.

Either way they will be terrible this season and even if bought are circling the drain.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Bottas is a one year deal not sure why he agreed to that, if he gets blown away this year he's out sharpish

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

i thought he was on a 2 year deal with an option 3rd?

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Ferrari, Red Bull, Renault and Mclaren will all have drivers coming up for renewal/retirement/booting out the door at the end of the season.

If Merc come out of the rule change shuffle badly it will give Bottas options. If Bottas does badly it wouldn't matter if he had a ten year contract Merc would still give him the boot.

I suspect Merc are waiting so see what Lewis does too. Once he's taken the all time pole position record off Schumi I can see him retiring. If the Merc is still super dominant I could see him going for the all time wins record too, but realistically that's at least four seasons away even if they do dominate.

I expect there are people at Merc who want Princess Stampy Foot in the silver car. Even with Ferrari mucking about he hasn't forgotten how to drive and between him and Werhlein Merc will have eyes on that holy grail all German championship.

19. RedFlames

According to the beeb -

So if, as you say, it's a no-contest between him and Hamilton he'll probably be sent back to Williams when the year is up.

Because his manager [Toto] told him to?

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Unless by total miracle a different team is dominant he is guaranteed 2nd place or better in every race (barring engine failures, pit crew not attaching wheels etc), which is much better than a slim outsider chance at one or two 3rd places.