Motors Bit-Tech F1 thread

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 13 Dec 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

No prison places to put the poison dwarf even if you wanted to.

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Fines are only a deterrent to the poor. Millions of pounds of fines is nothing if you're a billionaire. Whilst he probably "deserves" jail time I don't really see it as being in the public interest to put a elderly gentleman into an overstretched prison system.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Fixed fines, maybe, which is why they should be based on a percentage of income or net worth. Add in forfeiture of the spoils and now you're talking: what's the point of saving a few million on your taxes if the penalty for getting caught is everything you saved plus ten per cent of your annual income?

Spraduke likes this.
  4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I still wonder if this would matter. Many "successful" rich people don't seem to be the type to weigh up the odds and play it safe. They'll over estimate their own ability not to get caught or delay and play the system to get round things. Everything Eccelstone has done puts me in mind of someone who would sell his own mother to clime slightly higher on that greasy pole. At this point losing everything would just add to the legend that he is carving out for himself and you can be damn sure he would earn it back by selling the story to Netflix

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

In which case we get to fund a hospital or two from the fine. Sounds like a win t'me.

(I mean, in reality it'd vanish into dodgy contracts between ministers and their former pub landlords, but we can dream.)

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well that was the most entertaining day of F1 in years.

Two cars totalled through no fault of the drivers, grid penalties for one of them because the track broke the car too hard, spectators thrown out by the cops after seeing 9 minutes of running.

F1 under Liberty Media in a nutshell, $500million putting on a 'show,' but no plan how to run it, fans not welcome.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Absolute shower of ****. Brundle was laying it on real thick towards the end of fp2 after others in the sky F1 team had questioned the farcical nature of the spectators being thrown out before the session had started. "Ooo look at them go so fast round this corner". Yes Martin, they're F1 cars, that's pretty much their raison detre.

The highlight of the weekend has already happened. Horner flipped off ted. Was brilliant.
    Screenshot_20231117_235301_Gallery.jpg

8. javaman

Monaco has served as a blueprint for street race events and while Monaco and even Baku have had drain problems destroying cars none of them have descended into complete shitshows.

Makes you wonder what is different here. It feels like they started the actuall planning a few weeks before the event and expected someone saying "Vegas, Baby" and doing jazz hands would make a good show

9. javaman

Ok that was one of the better races this season. Only brought down by the point being constantly hammered home that it was probably the best race this season.

10. fix-the-spade

Meh, Verstappen gets penalty, calmly drives through the field to win. Only a decent race by this year's turgid standard.

In the most American thing possible, the Vegas GP organisers are being sued by the fans they turfed out on Friday, whilst Ferrari are 'negoatitating' for a contribution towards the cost of Sainz' new car. Haha.

11. RedFlames

Also given the clownshow surrounding the race... it's not hard to exceed expectations when the expectations were that ****ing low...

The_Crapman likes this.
  12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Fernando, Lewis, Sergio and Carlos all starting together in the middle would have even made Monaco interesting.
    Even before the big bonus points for Charles actually being able to put up something resembling a fight for the lead.

13. The_Crapman

McLaren have signed a new deal with mercedes hpp

Maybe I dreamt it, but I'm sure I read/saw/heard something about honda doing a U-turn on F1 and had signed to supply McLaren from 2026?

Edit: it was Aston Martin that signed a deal with honda for 2026. :rollingeyes::duh:

Last edited: 24 Nov 2023
  14. fix-the-spade

Sauber F1 is now Stake F1 Team.

They're now named after a Curaçao based Crypto gambling website. I can foresee no possible problems with this situation developing, absolutely none at all.

The_Crapman and MLyons like this.
  15. The_Crapman

16. fix-the-spade

In before Audi reneges on the deal citing reputational damage by association.

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. RedFlames

...again.

18. RedFlames

steiner out at haas... how will drive to survive cope?

MLyons likes this.
  19. javaman

Maybe a change will be good. Haas definitely need something to change. However I don't believe Steiner was the problem. Personally I would rather have seen Gene Haas replaced by Andretti

20. fix-the-spade

Unless someone's found a swimming pool filled with money, that solves none of Haas' problems. In fact, without the swear jar they're going to need at least one new sponsor.