1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Bit-Tech/Intel NUC Competition] Vesper - Prize arrived and some new plans :D

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 31 Jul 2013.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Cheers!

Hmm, hermit crab ya say? As for shiny, that was just a bit of the sanding grit that made it's way into the surface. However, I've been looking at paint finishes and I must say I'm very tempted to add a bit of pearl to the mix. My favourite colour is currently white with a faint metallic flake and a gloss coat, picks up the light really well and would definitely show off the shape nicely.#

As for a progress report. The side panels are now completely sanded and primed awaiting their final coats. Wood is on the way, as are my final printed parts (which I may add, were a b**** to make) and a power supply.

I have one final issue, could anybody link me to where the hell I can pick up a suitable pair of antennas for the wifi module? I've been able to find the screw in side fine, even have a few of those from old network cards, but I don't have any of the actual wired bits like this from Slipperyskip's log:

[​IMG]

I'm sure I'm just searching for the wrong thing here, but I can't for the life of me find that part. Is it simply a case of having to hack something apart instead?

I should be able to update later today with some pictures of the finished, primed sides (rather than the partially primed ones above).

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Good point about the WiFi, just got the card but personally I don't use WiFi so would use either a USB or thunderbolt to Ethernet cable but are the antennas needed for the WiFi card?.

3. Maki role

I'm not sure, haven't been able to power up yet and test things out. I know that the NUC cases out there come with antennas built in that you attach to the module. At any rate, even if it operates without one, I'd be much more comfortable with one as I don't have the option for any wired connection where this is going. To make matters worse, the wifi is really shaky in the lounge thanks to all the underfloor heating in the rooms above, acts a bit like a giant Faraday cage. That extra bit of reach would genuinely make a difference in this scenario.

4. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

5. Maki role

That is exactly what I was looking for! :clap:

So they're called Wifi pigtails eh? Nice to know that never once popped up during my searches, thanks!

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I ripped one out of a laptop the other day. I figured out that YES, you will need the antenna. I was 5 feet from the router, and couldn't get a signal.

7. Maki role

Wooo it's UPDATE time!

I took a couple pictures of the sides in their current, primed state. I'll be doing the actual painting when I've got the centre section underway fully and have all the mounting points correctly positioned.

Today I also received a rather large number of deliveries including a power supply for the NUC, the wifi antenna pigtails and most importantly, the wood! I chose to go for a selection so I could see how each looked in person before committing to a single one. I went for some burr Walnut, burr Maple, burr Vavona and Mahogany curl. I must admit, my two favourites are by far the burr Vavona and Maple. The other two look great, but the scales are a bit large for this project. The Vavona is simply unreal in it's appearance, it honestly looks so rich and textured in real life, yet is completely smooth. I'll likely be making one middle section with Maple for light-coloured sides, and another with Vavona for the dark ones.

All primed up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was really just an excuse to get the macro lens out.
    [​IMG]

Walnut burr:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maple burr:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vavona burr:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mahogany curl:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Wow, that vavona veneer looks amazing!! It's so grainless, surface's really alien looking!! It's nothing like wood, but I think it'll look great. I think you're making good choices there, vavona for the dark one, maple for the brighter one. Can't wait to see some more results man!

9. Maki role

Hehe figured you'd like those. Must admit I was very impressed by not only the quality of the veneers, but the expediency at which they arrived. I only ordered them yesterday at 11:30am or so and they were here this morning! I think I'm in love with the vavona, it's just like no other wood I've ever seen before, which is saying something as I have family working with exotic wood flooring suppliers. Looks almost like an alien fungus of sorts, or a bit like the creep from Starcraft, but with a wonderful, rich colour.

Glad you approve of the choices btw! I'm a huge fan of your wooden builds, they really are works of art.

10. Cheapskate

That really is a wild pattern in the vavona. It's probably the best choice too, since it has a tight pattern and is fairly even. As small as the part is, any transition would look like an accident. (Oh wait, you said that.:D)

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I like the Mahogany curl, personally I'd do a symmetrical pattern with that, looks awesome, the Vavona reminds me of tiger bread on the zoom shot :lol: certainly is an interesting look though, looks like some kind of skin from distance.

Good progress with the sanding & priming. :)

12. Asouter

Asouter --------

Really really nice wood, Pick of the bunch I think are the Vavona and maple. The build is too small to show off the grain on a couple of your samples, but WOW they do look good. I'm guessing we'll be seeing the wallnut and Mahogany on future builds ?

13. Maki role

That was my thinking too, the walnut looks nice but the pattern is much too large. As I mentioned above I'll likely go for the maple on the first one, then the vavona for a dark one. Once oiled up etc. the vavona will be quite dark so will suit the black sides better.

Cheers! I really like the mahogany too but it's simply much too large for this project. You'd barely be able to get any of the pattern in sadly. Haha I see what you mean with the tiger loaf too, wonder if the vavona makes as solid a sandwich though?

You may well see those used in a future project. I've got quite a few ideas lined up, the soonest of which won't feature it sadly though. They'd make some brilliant front panels.

And for everybody, I'm just about to head out and pick up the next 3D printed item! I'll take some pictures when I get back to the office with it, fingers crossed it's all scaled correctly, would be a bloody disaster if it weren't.

14. Maki role

Hooray the centre section has now arrived! I'm very pleased with both the finish and the finesse of the model itself, it's very lithe indeed. Now the big thing is going to be ensuring I achieve the finish I want, which by the look of this is no mean feat.

I decided to take some photos of the current case progress in the boardroom where there's a good amount of light. The parts fit together really well already, they're going to be held together by magnets eventually. I'm just propping them again on another in these photos, which is why there's a bit of a ridge visible in one of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up of one of the NUC mounting points
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obligatory coke can size comparison
    [​IMG]

I love how the light interacts with the waviness of the sides
    [​IMG]

So now it's mounting, painting and finishing time!

Waynio likes this.
  15. Cheapskate

COOOOOOOOOL!:D The current color scheme makes me want an ice cream bar.
    That's what's missing- mounting points. How do you plan on getting the sides on and off?

16. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

That looks awesome! Quite like the colours as they are too.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Oh that's superfine. :jawdrop::hip::clap:

18. Maki role

[​IMG]

Hehe, can't say I'm a huge fan of the mustard yellow.

:rock:

Well I'm currently trying to install ubuntu onto the thing, we'll see how that fairs.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2013
  19. Maki role

Sorry for the double post, but I'm now replying using the NUC running Ubuntu. Installed in a flash, the SSD is really amazing too, everything is just so snappy!

20. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

*Thinks Maki had an oversized Coke Can 3D printed to fool everybody* :p

Look great man! Must have taken some time to model that thing as all pieces have quite some detail to them!