1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Bit-Tech/Intel NUC Competition] Vesper - Prize arrived and some new plans :D

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 31 Jul 2013.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Fantastic work dude! Love it!

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Cheers tekonivel!

Thanks Knighthammer!

Thanks man, these new, final photos should be a bit of a treat then :D

Hey guys, I found the time to take the final photos of Vesper today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obligatory coke can shot:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that's all folks for this version of Vesper, but it certainly won't be the end. Thank you so much for all the support and kind words along the way, it's really what makes Bit-Tech such a great community to be a part of!

Again thanks to everybody at Bit-Tech and Intel who worked hard to make this competition possible, it's really brought out some fantastic designs and has been a lot of fun.

I'm looking forward to sharing my next project soon with everybody, should be a real head turner!

3. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

I can't believe the standard of builds in this competition! I certainly wouldn't be able to pick a winner between each of your individual builds but if I had to pick one for a production run then Vesper would certainly be my choice. Really nice, yet simple design.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Awesome quality Maki, such a sweet flow on the design, the limit for 3d printing is imagination & design skill, lot of complexity in this & it looks excellent with the tiger bread veneer. :D:clap:

5. Maki role

Thanks Boorach! Loving how the radio is coming along too.

There's no meal like a silicon sammich eh? I'm always a little sad when a 3D printer/CNC is used and people only make rectangles, I tried to ensure that only non-uniform shapes were printed so as not to waste the opportunity. Glad you appreciate that aspect.

6. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Hey, what am i doing in a sammich? :eyebrow: It'd be all gamey and bitter... :lol:

Really great job Maki. Can't wait to see the next project, will probably be trolling the logs to make sure I sub soon enough!

7. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

That looks absolutely fantastic!!!

Next up, transfer the design to a mini itx case with a titan or something in there:D

8. siliconfanatic

9. Maki role

:worried:

Hehe thanks, yeah to give you a teaser for the next build think vesa mounts and water channels...

Thanks Hans! Funnily enough I did consider something like that, although I ended up changing so much to make it a reasonable size that it sort of lost it's appeal. I will, however, still be going the mITX route, but maybe not in the way most would expect.

10. siliconfanatic

good god maki! Serious **** gunna go down then! :lol:

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'll keep an eye out for your future projects, this was awesome. :)

12. Asouter

Asouter --------

It's sooo beautiful. I love how this has turned out... FANTASTIC I think Intel would do well to snap up your design and use it for complete systems.. It's definitely something I'd buy .. Wonderful

13. Maki role

Damn straight! Just hope I can get it finished on time though (it's for a friend)

Haha cheers! Looking forward to seeing where you take LAG, it's such a big project, I wouldn't know how to keep myself sane :lol:

Thanks Asouter, it would be interesting to see how this design would translate to an actual product. Whether it would be viable is another question entirely though.

Ayup, I got round to taking a couple more shots the other day. I wanted to see how it would compare to a full tower like a Phantom 820, sure enough I can fit the thing inside... whilst all the other components are still in and functioning!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I'd just like to chip in with a little thank you to those who have voted for Vesper. Given we only have one vote each, it's a pretty tough decision. It would have been interesting to see how the votes line up if done in a MotM style, where everybody gets multiple choices.

14. Maki role

15. Maki role

Turns out Vesper came 2nd in the Minimalistic PC competition. A big thanks to C4B12 for hosting the comp and to Coolermaster and Icemodz for sponsoring the prizes!

Given that the Mini-ITX option was already chosen by the winner, I opted for the ATX one. Been wanting to try out modding a Cosmos for a while, just never had much of a need to though, should make for an exciting update for ol' Azure (had a leak recently so tearing it down and starting fresh sound like a good prospect).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Congrats to the other prize winners and those chosen for the top 10, there was some really fantastic stuff on show!

16. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Congrats Maki! well deserved :) My own entry (P180) just missed the top 3 (4th with 33.5 points)

17. Maki role

Bit of a late response here (sorry, honestly didn't know you replied rofl). Man I loved P180, not only did you choose one of my favourite colour combos, but it was so clean and precise, it was a really joyful project to follow. 720 is looking fantastic too, you're really showing how much potential is hidden in that Dell.

Well my prize from Coolermaster finally arrived! Must say that the Cosmos SE is one sexy beast, it's simply so much sleeker in real life than the pictures online gave credit for, not to mention the surface finish is flawless. I was also sent a Nepton 280l, although I don't really have much of a use for it personally, I'll see about that. The LED strip from IceModz arrived ages ago, been playing around with it for a while, very nice bit of kit indeed and just what I need too.

The plan is to redo my current big-case with the Cosmos SE. Whilst I love the Phantom 820, it is rather large and I'm up for a change and a challenge. I'm feeling metallic white and blue with chrome accents? May as well go for the complete sports car look to fit the case. Be sure to watch out for Azure Redux when I get the chance to begin the mod, should be able to run it in parallel to Loramentum.

And why not some pics eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Congratulations, And it looks like you might need an exterminator or exorcist. There's something under your couch.