1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Black Dragon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TATH, 23 Jun 2015.

1. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Yes i am back.

For thos who think that it is a 5 minutes job to make one panel i have to dissapoint you "it is not" biggrin.gif

Learning on the job i will cal this. Avery time i think "yes i know it all" it turn out that i need much more to learn.

Whe have a saying in Holland "You are never to old to learn". As long my brain can handle it i keep learning. biggrin.gif

So first picture "two hole one big and one small to make the keyhole"| .

[​IMG]

Simon Say "you need six holes because it is a long panel" Yes mayby .

[​IMG]

Keyholes are made. And now it is time to take over the keyholes on the inside of the panel.

[​IMG]

After a while the panel fits without the need that you need a hammer to remove it.
    Yes good job.

[​IMG]

What has hapent the next panel already jumpt on to my case.

[​IMG]

More tommorow thumb.gif

2. TATH

TATH Minimodder

All went good yesterday "NO ITS NOT".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Som times you just need to think more. :rolleyes: "Iglue the black panel on the inside instead of the outside".
    Lucky i can use it for the other side.

[​IMG]

Sunday a new day.

Slept til 12:00. So it is a slow start for me.

New red panel. Only took a few minutes.

[​IMG]

To avoid that i glue the panel on the wrong side i put a text on the panel. :wallbash:

[​IMG]

Used second glue and used a few clamps for pressing the panels together. Photo skills yes i now.

[​IMG]

After using the "keyhole technic" this panel is on the frame also.

[​IMG]

Still need to sand and polish the edges.

[​IMG]

More next week.

3. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Mount the panels is one thing but finsihings them takes more time.

This evening i was working on the top panel. Scraping of acrylic to let it look as sharp as posible. "just good looking". tIt takes many times of pulling it of and scraping off acrylic.
    Now the panel is back on . Tommorow i wil polish it so that it shines.

[​IMG]

I also needed som time to plan my next move. "ordering more acrylic for the build" like for the the back doors. And clear big panels for the front doors.
    The black looks good for the back door but i go for a few aluminium plates where i saw out the windows . Then i mount to 3mm clear panels behind it.

[​IMG]

So for the comming weeks i dont have to search for work.:D

4. TATH

TATH Minimodder

That is quick. New panels arived in two days.

[​IMG]

Finished one top pedestel sidepanel yesterday evening.

So this means new firewood for the build. :D

5. TATH

TATH Minimodder

What is it that i always have to proof myself.:rolleyes:

Here you go :D

Left side.

[​IMG]

Right side :D

[​IMG]

One more to go.

O ye package arived this morning.

With black coated top panel and the 2 black coated ones for the back doors.

[​IMG]

6. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Last panel "pictures or i did not hapent"yes i get it. :D

Where do i start! o yes the last side panel.

Cut out the inside after i adjust the cut outs in the bottom and top panel. Had to file out a small part so the red panel line up with the big front panel inside. The part that i saw out i am going to use for the covers for my pomptops.

[​IMG]

At the back i have to saw off a strip. For measurement i use a scrap piece.

[​IMG]

I thought "If i sudenly move the red panel during glueing on the black panel" i better can keep the black panel bigger during the job.
    And saw of the rest afterwards. A few clamps on to press down the panels better.

[​IMG]

Time for the file.

[​IMG]

Size oke. Time to take over the measurements for the keyholes.

[​IMG]

Using a scrap piece to guide the drill and to avoid that i drill to deep. "tryd out before i drill thes holes".

[​IMG]

After taping in the 3mm tread and putting in the screws it is time to see if the keyholes need som adjustments.
    I always do the 2 top screws first and if the panel is straight on the frame then i go to the bottom screws.
    If the panel is to high to the top i only have to file out the bottom keyholes.

[​IMG]

Yes i love this logo

[​IMG]

No this is not my Aikido outfit but the shirt i got from Lily "To͘-siā Lily"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New parts for the build. Yes i love the new Bitspower Ultra reservoirs.

[​IMG]

Changed my mind during the build. Going from 12mm tubing to 16mm.

[​IMG]

More tommorow.

[​IMG]

7. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Ha working on the outside instead of the inside.
    Yes it cross my mind to for a minute. But i think i am going the right direction.

First i make the big parts fit and then i am going to install them.
    And there are a few many things that i still need to work on "holes tru the back panel for the cables"the length of the cables.

Yes i think i am going to save this piece. It is a old firebrigade entrance sign. It had a crack on one side. So the trow it away.
    Lucky for me i can use it to make things "like the feeth under my case".

[​IMG]

I cut out a pice for the sidepanel to mount the motherboard tray aginst. I made it always to big so at the end it must fit. biggrin.gif
    seeing it against the tape on the back panel i think that i need to do something more with it. Mayby a frame around it.
    I think a few a few strips left.

[​IMG]

The frame almost fit. Ahum rolleyes.gif small pice of sandpaper will do the trick. Yes it fits in. Of course i first measured out the depth of the profile and put tape around the panel to avoid scratches. It seems to work.

[​IMG]

Just a teaser "i need it to keep me going". I only work a few hours a day on this build.

[​IMG]

Now i am going to look for som nice hinges for the build.

8. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Six dayes no build.

Got a pain in my body for the last six weeks. So that make me want to sleep instead of build. Never had this before.
    Building is always on my mind.

Started today again with the fitting of the u-shape profiles for the side panel.
    It is al going in slow motion today but i think the most important thing is that i am building again.

After making the frame around the panel it is time to drill som holes to mount the u-shape profiles to the inside panels.
    I took of the profiles and drild a few holes in them. With a few clamps the profiles wil stay in place when i dril the holes for the tread.

[​IMG]

You need to be patience for this job. This time i dont use countersink screws on the inside because i can not countersink the holes in the narrow profile. "Yes i need more tools" rolleyes.gif . So i used boldhead screws. The only thing is that i now need to file or saw of 2mm of tree sides of the panel.

That job is for tommorow because it is already late.

[​IMG]

I wil dismantel the profiles later to give them a layer of paint.

[​IMG]

More tommorow.

9. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Yes the mailman is back.

This time he knows my first name "package again for you henry" . I think what is hapening "is he KGB" or does he read my mail. :D

Ye i think he reads my mail.

[​IMG]

I have 2 AquaComputer fabwerk controllers for my leds and beacuse you can connect 4 cables to one controller i already got 8 cables. Also orderd 2 x 5 meter leds "for this and next build"

[​IMG]

What have this picture to do with my build . I will tell you. I got a day of from work so i thought to please my wife with build up this fake christmas tree. After a few minutes the tree stands but with no decoration in it.

I got a you tube film showing how to quick hang in all the balls into the tree. After trowing the box with the christmas balls tree times into the tree not one ball stayes in. So the youtube film is crap and i lost half of the balls.

Lucky the tree stands with half of the decoration in it. Hope she apreciate my work

[​IMG]

10. TATH

TATH Minimodder

He i am back.

Feeling a bit better now. So it is back to the build again.

Wanted to finishe the side panel.

To see if the frame is inline with the case i use a strip. " Yes still need to scrape som acrylic off"

[​IMG]

To let the top side of the panel fall in place i dremel out two half cicles. Above that are two boldhead screws.
    Now the panel slides in and stay in place.

[​IMG]

This is what i scrape of with a sharp knife. Again and again until the profil fits the way i want it to fit.

[​IMG]

Yes now the frame fits. Stil need to secure the outside profil. But i am thinking how to do this the best way. "screws \ glue" .

[​IMG]

The panel is not finished of cours after this job is don i need to mount the motherbord tray and cut out a part again.

[​IMG]

Not bad he!!! :D

[​IMG]

11. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Had not much time for the build. But still little progress.

finish the raw version of the other sidepanel. And today it was time for the other panel.

3 profiles mounted on the inner pannel with 3mm screws.

[​IMG]

Acrylic is cut and ready to be workt on.
    You can see the screws in the profiles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More tommorow.

12. TATH

TATH Minimodder

A few better pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beside learning to draw with the programm Inventor 2014 i have been working on the moterboard tray. I cut a piece of red-led acrylic and working right know on a few suppurt block under the tray "this way the screws dont bent the motherboard tray inwards when i tide them up".

[​IMG]

Motherboard tray on the acrylic. "still need to make to push tru the backpanel "where the processor in placed".
    But first finish the support acrylic. Then i can mount the side tray and cut tru the clear side panel.

[​IMG]

What is in the box precious !

[​IMG]

I neede to get a few sander rolls for the dremel and couth not resist to buy this welder\solder\shrinker\ cutter multi tool from Dremel.

[​IMG]

Build is came to a hold because of christmas.

"Time to rethink what i am doing and plan what i want.

"I WISH YOU ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS" have fun.

13. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Yes the mailman is back.

This time he knows my first name "package again for you henry" . I think what is hapening "is he KGB" or does he read my mail. biggrin.gif

Ye i think he reads my mail.

[​IMG]

I have 2 AquaComputer fabwerk controllers for my leds and beacuse you can connect 4 cables to one controller i already got 8 cables. Also orderd 2 x 5 meter leds "for this and next build"

[​IMG]

To see if the frame is inline with the case i use a strip. " Yes still need to scrape som acrylic off"

[​IMG]

To let the top side of the panel fall in place i dremel out two half cicles. Above that are two boldhead screws.

[​IMG]

This is what i scrape of with a sharp knife. Again and again until the profil fits the way i want it to fit.

[​IMG]

Yes now the frame fits. Stil need to secure the outside profil. But i am thinking how to do this the best way. "screws \ glue" .

[​IMG]

He i am back.

Feeling a bit better now. So it is back to the build again.

This is what i scrape of with a sharp knife. Again and again until the profil fits the way i want it to fit. biggrin.gif

The panel is not finished of cours after this job is don i need to mount the motherbord tray and cut out a part again.

[​IMG]

Not bad he!!! :D

[​IMG]

14. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Workt a little on the other sidepanel today.

Had not much time for the build. But still little progress.

finish the raw version of the other sidepanel. And today it was time for the other panel.

3 profiles mounted on the inner pannel with 3mm screws.

[​IMG]

Acrylic is cut and ready to be workt on.
    You can see the screws in the profiles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More tommorow. :D

15. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Did not answer you yet "Thanks bart". This time it cost me 8 weeks to be able to walk normal "no i havent been drinking".

A few better pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beside learning to draw with the programm Inventor 2014 i have been working on the moterboard tray. I cut a piece of red-led acrylic and working right know on a few suppurt block under the tray "this way the screws dont bent the motherboard tray inwards when i tide them up".

[​IMG]

Motherboard tray on the acrylic. "still need to make to push tru the backpanel "where the processor in placed".
    But first finish the support acrylic. Then i can mount the side tray and cut tru the clear side panel.

[​IMG]

What is in the box precious !

[​IMG]

I neede to get a few sander rolls for the dremel and couth not resist to buy this welder\solder\shrinker\ cutter multi tool from Dremel.

[​IMG]

16. TATH

TATH Minimodder

I made a clear acrylic support frame behind the motherboard tray. This to keep the tray flat when i mount it to the black back panel.
    On the back you see the 3mm led-acrylic panel where i still have to do som work on.

[​IMG]

tray on its back.

[​IMG]

Kids went shopping so i guess i go upstairs and do so building again. :D

17. TATH

TATH Minimodder

To be able to work on the red led-acrylic i mounted it with a few screws.
    This way the panel dont move when i file or sand the edges.

[​IMG]

My wife Nicole came back with a few boxes. Now i can clean up.

[​IMG]

The raw sanding is finished

[​IMG]

The plan is to make a hole tru the back. Now that i look at the picture i think i wil make a u-shape frame from clear arylic behind the red panel. This way i can light up the red panel better.
    I already have been working on one strip today. But without a good machine i have to do it with a file. It is now 21:37 and i have been filing for a hour or four. Thought it was sunday today. So i put a few strips downstairs to take along to the firestattion where the can saw the strips for me with the big saw. Ha ha but i was mistaking it is saturday and i still have one day to work on my rig.

I think i call the chief tommorow to ask if some one can saw the strips for me to speed up a little.

Yes whe need more tools. :D

[​IMG]

18. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Bussy man!

After filing a slope edge on one piece of acrylic for the u-shape frame behind my motherboard tray i thought "6 hours filing is enough for today". So i took the other tree parts with me to the firestation.
    So today i asked my college ho is a woodworker if he can saw a slope edge on the other strips.
    No smile on his face but in the afternoon he did saw the strips for me.
    "What if i am happy now"! For a short time yes.

That was before i stack up the strips and take a closer look. "O yes you just need file a bit then it is oke" :D

What do i think!
    I is like i have been watching the movie Jaws. The machines blade must have been not sharp enough. O boy what a disaster. :wallbash::wallbash:

[​IMG]

Yes "it just need som atention and care:miffed: Scrap that what it is.

[​IMG]

I never give up "bent but not brake" so this meaning extra time to make the u-shape frame. Grrrr.. I need to finish the frame this evening.

And it is "at least the raw version of it".

Happy now! "Yes i am"progress made.

Just a few holes for the mounting then i can take the dimensions of the io-panel and saw out the sidepanel.

http://i.imgur.com/wSXtCvJ.jpg

More tommorow. :D

[​IMG]

19. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Just finished the hole for the io-panel and the mounting holes .
    The drilling for the holes to mounting the io-panel to the tray went well also (i used a drillpress for this job).

It is all pre mounted because i am still working on it.

[​IMG]

Need to get four longer screws to mount the tray to the back panel. There for you see on the right top and bottom 4 4mm holes.
    The screws that i have a just 1 cm to short.

[​IMG]

Time flies when you have fun.

20. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Just one picture this evening.

Just finished wbuilding one of the 2 rads in the upper pedestel.

What did i do this evening:

- sleaving fans;
    - testing the fans;
    - mounting the fans.

Time goos to fast.

Tommorow i wil do the other one. Then it is time for making adjustments for the fan power cables to the fan hub.

[​IMG]