1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 COD+Console+Money = OMG!?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 21 Mar 2013.

1. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

'like' LOL :hehe::hehe:

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I wouldn't point the finger at John Romero. While him and id are well-known for smack-talk it originated from the close-nit communities of true gamers and techies imo. You can have smack-talk that expels frustration and passion, without it becoming unsportingly personal and vile.
    Even through the early CS betas, UT or Q3A for example it was never as visceral or disgustingly childish (from what I played through). I'll admit the advert caused offense - and rightly so - but I've never seen Romero as more than a big ego with a heavy splash of tongue in cheek tbh. What console gamers today miss is the fact they never grow up in the same room as others. It's always from the anonymity of afar. Couple that with an ongoing regression to the lowest common denominator, 'cheap' consoles and broadband (without wishing to sound like an elitest snob) and you end up in chav-town.

So I suddenly wonder, are PC gamers missing the point complaining about console graphics or experience rather than the better communities and social channels they talk and play in?

3. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I'd actually like to see a referee for matches like this, yellow cards for unsportsmanlike behaviour, extra point to the other team. Red card and you're no longer in that match.

If I was the sponsor of that tournament I'd be walking around ripping my companies posters down and having no more to do with it.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I would. I quote:
    (The censorship is entirely mine.)

That's a quote from Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture by David Kushner. It's an excellent book, compiled from six years of interviews and research - and I've yet to see Romero (or any other id employee, current or former) question its accuracy. If it blames Romero for 'inventing' trash-talk at LANs, then I'm willing to point the finger in the same direction myself.

5. faemir

faemir What's a Dremel?

This is just really telling of the level of competitiveness of the game. Clearly they don't need to be communicating throughout, and instead can just trash-talk the other team constantly.

You don't see anything like this in games like Dota, Starcraft etc.

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I hear this every night through the wall to the neighbors 30yr old kid. They actually moved him into a different bedroom as his shouting was keeping my daughter awake.

There was even one time where I guess he broke his swivel chair while playing a game, it then came out the backdoor in three pieces.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

You see plenty like this in most competitive game levels. Maybe not to this extreme but it happens.

Dota 2 ( or league of legends as its more known by these days) and sc2 despite huge popularity have struggled to hit the big time on an e sport level. ( wow brings in more cash for its pvp tornaments)

Counter strike used to pay the most in the pc gaming scene for pro game teams. These days if your a pro gamer you play all genre types and all format types if you want to stay competitive.

Cod is most popular FPS these days hence brings in the biggest money.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I don't mind the language. Its the retardedness in how they communicate both it and themselves that makes me go :sigh:

Last edited: 23 Mar 2013
  9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've read it, and while he may have brought it to LANs he also invented competitive game-play so it was one and the same. Nor does the book look into competitive gaming beyond id and if any other clan was doing the same thing. I would put money on they were, despite the fact Romero was the most publicised and the book focuses on one single person at one tournament to make a point (that's not denying the fact the advert was stupid still). And I doubt any CoD player even knows who John Romero is so the link is just not there. Smack talk, violence, murder and hate at sports games and any other competitive style event precede competitive gaming, and it was only a matter of time before one falls into the other. It's just another sub-division of 'us versus them' whether it's country, skin colour, religion etcetc. Humans are by nature, c***s to one-another.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Mar 2013
  10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:

11. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Oh wow, is nobody else surprised that you can play COD on Xbox competitively.

A very low skill ceiling game with aim assist, a FPS on console with tiny maps? I'm personally shocked, the skill level for COD isn't what it once was and the platform is a terrible choice to judge actual skill.

That said the behaviour is terrible, I've been involved in the EVE online Tournament twice, and the EVE Fanfest PVP Tournament 3 times, the level of skill, concentration and teamwork required means that we couldn't behave like petulant children even if we had wanted to.

12. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

You're not alone.

13. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Dont buy into this eSports stuff, really dont. I wonder what these kids will do in a few years once they have stopped playing games for a living?

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

It wouldn't surprise me if stuff like aim assist wasn't turned off/they were running special modes for it.

Also if it's that easy why don't you go pick it up and start earning money? :p

15. faemir

faemir What's a Dremel?

I don't think it's going anywhere - It's been around since the Quake days. I'm just happy that a lot of them are able to do have a job in what they enjoy. To be fair imo it's just as legit as professional sports (although you might argue against that too).

Watching Dota pro's play is definitely entertaining/inspiring for when I play.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Most people say its easy but would get owned if it was put in front of them.

Id consider myself a good PC fps player yet id still get destroyed off most of these Pro gamer players.

The settings that is used is on there website, Aim Assist is off along with some other stuff.

EVE is like WOW pre Cata if you wanted to beat heroic content or raid content you needed a very good team of players its why so few succeeded at it in the first place.

Like 3 guilds total cleared naxx in vanilla wow before the buff patch for end of vanilla arived. Huge skill difference between those 3 guilds and the rest who cleared either at higher level or with huge dps buffs.

Most high end raid guilds did not use voice chat for intructions though, Our raid of 40 players was split into about 20 rooms all talking about different things despite been in the highest tier of raiding. All communication was done in english in raid chat. As most of the guild could not natively speak english.

Dota and LOL have got a nice following going at the minute. SC2 asia following is crazy so is the level of macro that they have the game down too.

Dout i could personally ever get that good, not sure id ever want too either.

FPS has always been the big money tornaments for Pro players. As the viewers want to see action not a long drawn out stratagy game. fps, Dance, Music, Football the big 4 at the moment that do the rounds.

SC2 is nice to play but it cant half be boring to watch.

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Is it cyberbullying if they're in the same room?

Personally, if they have that much rage and anger then I reckon they should stop shouting and start hitting eachother with the controllers. At least that way we wouldn't have to put up with them for long.

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Well since their transition to man hood seems to be submerged in positive reinforcement for acting like a bunch of ill tempered children and the time commitment to get to that level probably excludes learning other marketable skills. My guess is either they don't stop playing games or its a life on benefits.

19. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that aim assist on the 360 versions of COD can't be turned fully off, I'm sure I've seen that somewhere but it's like controller correction or something as analog sticks are pretty shitty really in terms of accuracy in comparison to a mouse.
    May be wrong however.

Why don't I have a go? I don't enjoy COD post modern warfare 4 the series became worse with each release in my opinion. And not only that being an old school PC gamer who already earns more than a share of the winnings (it is only $400k divided amongst the winning team I believe.) I don't think it's worth doing something I don't enjoy.

Plus the COD guns are bullet hoses with very little skill required in my opinion, I'd rather continue playing ARMA3 Alpha.

Plus I'm rubbish at FPS with a controller it feels like trying to put a square peg in a round hole using ten foot long pliers.

Yes they would own me because they're playing something they enjoy and play frequently, it doesn't make my skill ceiling comment any less true.

As for EVE I was talking PVP I've never done any NPC content in EVE, I've only ever PVPed.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2013
  20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've had another idea. Instead of boxing-chess. How about RR-COD?

One round COD, one round Royal Rumble?