1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming CODPLOPS: A Cynical History Of COD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 May 2012.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

all the school kids have arrived - was waiting for more to turn up; its NOT a different game , its MW1 with a map pack DLC , it looks the same and plays the same - but hey if you want to pay £50 a year for your xbox to play Mw1 with a map pak then you do that.....

as for cod allways being MP with a little SP

LOL

really LOL

i ahve the COD 1 and 2 cd`s sitting next to me and woah , mp was really limited back then.....

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

But I need it! It must be amazing! I need level 5000 private 9th class, press e on flashing thing & I win at 10,000 knife kills.

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

At least sports games you get an updated roster and there are enough changes to justify buying the game every three years or so datawise. On that rotation it makes sense as someone will buy the game. I do agree a better model would be to release updates etc and only release a new game when major engine changes and gameplay mechanics are added.
    COD does none of that. Each game isn't an update of any sort. The whole point of DLC is to add guns, maps etc. while remaining optional to how much you want to invest. Its the same tired multiplayer gimmik packaged as something new. After the first MW I got tired of FPS's. Apart from the occasional spin of TF2 all my gaming has been RPG's (Fallout, Skyrim), RTS (SUPCOM, Anno), even some platform action adventure (assassins creed). I completed mass effect 1 and 2 but never really went back but probably will at a later date maybe. Theres enough variety out there that its easy to boycott a game you have problems with.
    In some ways I'm glad half life didn't follow episodic gaming......we would of had a convoluted story that would just eventually drag one till no one cared.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

lots of "Waah" in here especially over something as droll as call of duty.

5. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Not when the quality of argument is "Shut the F*K up! U stoopid 4 hatin COD! BF suks balls. U stoopid."
    Note the lack of both ideas and criticisms in that statement.

Reading the article I was thinking "Joe's going get screams and tantrums for this", and look at what happened.

6. Flexible_Lorry

Flexible_Lorry What's a Dremel?

I agree that COD is over-rated and re-hashed every year. I used to care about the state of the industry, and the fact that, as much as I wish it weren't so, the lack of new generation consoles is limiting big budget development. New PC technology is not what's driving the mainstream industry anymore. The golden age of the late 90s and early 2000s is behind us.

But there is one good thing. The relative freedom from ever-increasing hardware requirements means that passionate creative developers can focus on better games rather than better technology. It sorta reminds me of the 80s: those old computers (Speccy especially) were taken to their limits by the end of the decade.

This year I've already played one great game: Legend of Grimrock. Simple, intriguing, mysterious, with the right balance of silly and serious. The only other gaming worthy activity for me this year is pledging to Brian Fargo's Wasteland 2. He has come straight out saying no to consolisation, no to big budget pointless movie effects, no to DLC and yes to deep and meaningful gameplay.

The Industry is becoming mainstream. The mainstream target audience wants big budget AAA stuff. That's fine. As others have said, just like the film industry. Every year there's a bunch of crappy romantic comedies, big action flicks and CGI heavy story-less beasts that spend, and make, loads of money. But there are loads and loads of movies from around the planet which focus on telling mature, human stories using the great arts of cinematography, direction and acting. I for one know which movies and which games will stand the test of time.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yep, he's probably having a good chuckle.

Still, it gives us something to do. ;)

8. Prowler_88

Prowler_88 What's a Dremel?

Well I enjoyed the first CoD (way back now!) and Modern Warfare's single player campaign, and played a bit of Black Ops multiplayer (then BF3 came out). The best solution is to only buy each third or fourth game for a decent experience, giving enough time in between!

£40 a year for a similar experience with slightly different window dressing isn't for me...some people are glutton for punishment though, or just love digital trophies and achievements a little bit too much.

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

CoD:UO and CoD:MW are two of my all time favorite FPS-games. The rest of the series is just various shades of absolute ********.

10. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Some of the reactions in this thread seem to reinforce the common stereotypes of the typical CoD fanboy...

11. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Call Of Duty 1, one of the most fun clan based games I ever played. Loved it to bits. CoD 2 to some extent. The rest have just dragged on and ive lost interest. Stopped buying at Cod4 - none have made me happy like the original Cod1 and 2 :(

12. veato

veato I should be working

I was a big fan of COD:MW and actually over time went on to prefer the MP in COD:WAW. I still wasn't bored by the time COD:MW2 came out and it was a day one (plus day off work) purchase for me. I quickly realised though that I was essentially playing a reworked version of the same game and boredom set it. I've since not bothered with COD:BLOPS or COD:MW3.

I can see why some people are fans but it's not for me anymore. I'm not going to keep paying to play what is essentially the same over and over.

13. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

I agreed with the sentiments of this article; it's unfortunate that COD has managed to replace quality of gameplay with a very powerful marketing machine, which allows it to make money without innovating for years on end, and further allows the franchise immunity from competition. Unfortunately DICE/EA (as Activision's largest competitor) have fallen down a bit in their after-release support for BF3, which has divided the community somewhat, with casual players and 'pros' at odds over what future patches should change (e.g. suppression). As such there's a gap in the triple-A shooter market which remains to be filled; there's no true 'high skillcap' game which caters to hardcore players like CS did back in the day.

It's an interesting time for FPS fans on the PC platform... hopefully we see an increase in quality soon.

14. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

^Check out Respawn Entertainment's new game. RE is made up of the main people who created MW and MW2, but left after their dispute with Activision. Their new FPS game is out next year.

In my eyes, that's the only real hope for any serious competition to Cod and BF in the near future, and thus the only proper hope that something really innovative will drive the FPS platform further than EA or Activision have done.

adidan likes this.
  15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oh BTW I forgot from the last comment:

For all the CoD1 and CoD2 bolt-action-lovers out there: BF3, SV98 and Hardcore is where it's at! Before finding that I'd been missing bolt action pwnage for years... Sure, it isn't the same, but it comes pretty close.

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Used to be a huge fan but started losing interest and didn't pick up the first Black Ops.

I gave it a lot of my time, I enjoyed it, but I've sunk over 500+ hours into BF3 (my first foray into the franchise) and can't see me going back to CoD anytime soon.

That may be because it's new, it may be because you have more control over your soldier and it's development, I don't know.

What I can say is you can change your setup and style of play and it can refresh the experience and keep me interested, something which CoD couldn't do for me in the end.

Oh noes, more Origin Beta?!?! I hope EA sort that out, it's a tad annoying when it has a hissy fit.

Interesting that though, not heard of them, thanks for pointing them out. :thumb:

Last edited: 6 May 2012
  17. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Yep, it's certainly one to watch :).

And just to clarify for those who don't know, Infinity Ward, or the people who made MW and MW2, are *not* the same people who made MW3, even though they retain the IW moniker. The main creative people behind those original MW games left in 2010 after Activision screwed them over (and there's an ongoing court case), and then joined RE.

My point is that for those who were disspointed with MW3, but enjoyed MW and MW2, RE's new game may be our little saviour, but it's way too early to say of course ;).

18. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

I liked cod1 and 2 rifles only multiplayer a lot and still play occasionally. Hated the others, I bought every one apart from mw3 and the singleplayer was entertaining enough to keep me busy for a few hours each but got bored halfway through black ops. Really can't be bothered with the whole "COD wars", I've gone off the series so I don't play it. People obviously still like it and if they want to play it they're more than welcome to. Same as my views on religion and apple fanatics: you like something? Great! Will I listen to your opinion? Sure! Are you going to convert me? No. I've tried it and I'm a sane, coherent human, perfectly capable of making my own judgement so stop wasting both of our times and either select a new topic of conversation or shoo kthx.

I wonder what would have had happened to cs if they just churned out an updated version labelled as a new game instead of the incremental updates. People would still buy it and it would make far more money.

Either way, it's a game, why the rage? No ones being forced to play it.

Oh well.

Last edited: 6 May 2012
  19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Quite so. It's not for me anymore but if some people get something from it good for them.

Now what I don't understand is train simulation games but that's a different kettle of fish. :)

20. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

adidan

if you like BF3 and want to try `future trooper`

pick up BF2142 - its abou £5 in sales and a hoot for mechs etc

Tags: Add Tags