1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Cost of Christmas

Discussion in 'General' started by penryn 2 hertz, 4 Dec 2012.

1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Around £100 overall iirc. Was do-able but having to budget a fair bit now till I get paid (30th)

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Probably about £700 on presents for close family.

Friends get nothing!

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

My daughter will get an unripe tangerine and a lump of coal. Note the hat on my avatar ;)

4. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Probably about £300 all together, £240ish of that on my girlfriend, however a good chunk of that are really presents for me...if you catch my drift;)

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

So far nothing, and going out shopping tonight with a limit of $100 to get presents for my parents. Friends are covered by a $20 limit secret Santa. Don't have the money or the good will for anything more!

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I have the money, just not the good will. :hehe:

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Love should ne enough.

8. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Last year for my immediate family (2 brothers, a sister, and my parents) was something like $900. This year since I'm unemployed the plan is to only get something for my parents, or if I do get something for my brothers and sister it will be small and cheap.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I am running close to 700 GBP already...

10. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

I'd love to spend as much as some of you. I love Christmas, I love my family and friends. but I also love owning my own house and fibre optic broadband...after bills and mortgage, fuel and insurance, food both human and pet, I don't have a great deal left...maybe £200 and then I will need more food as it runs low pretty quick. So Im giving good deeds and small prezzies this year.

Already fitted some rear discs and pads to my aunts car!

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

So far ten pounds i night my nephew and niece some story books they are both one. And I only just got paid.

Been unemployed most of this year.

Though I bought myself Dark Knight Rises, Farcry 3 yesterday and humble bundle lol

Last edited: 5 Dec 2012
  12. Scroome

Scroome Modder

About £1500.

I have 8 nieces and nephews who get £50 each, to be equal.

Immediate family, the budget is £100 each.

I usually host Christmas at my place, so food would normally set me back around £200 for the day, but this year I'm off to Norway for Christmas :D

I'm dumping all the gifts off on the 20th and then off to my winter cabin!!

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

My misses has claimed, as what is becoming usual, most of my "Christmas budget" (I don't actually set a budget, I just buy things that might appeal).

If she knew what it was she'd gut me like a fish >.> I can't say, because she occasionally browses these forums..

Everyone else is much more modest. Mum was 80, close friends have been around 50, assorted other family just get money bundled in a card, because half of them I have NFI what to get them.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

My other half is getting ink done. I am funding the start. around 300 pounds worth. The rest she can finance herself.
    My folks run around 100 quid by themselves (knives...)
    then baby brother, sister, gran and the missus' family, which is in all likelihood also going to come out of my budget... ahwell.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

£140 for the GF (very nice Cambridge Satchell)
    £37 each for mum, dad and sis (£111) (taking them to Post Secret Live with me)
    £5 each for three mates (mouse mats)
    £15 for GFs mum

That is pretty much me done :)

16. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Being single I dont need to worry about gilfriends, no idea what I am getting my sisters/fellas and parents.

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

£0, I like to splurge out on the food personally. But as others have already said, Work in Retail, and you will hate Christmas. Working in a supermarket like i do, we had xmas stock arriving in late September, It's on display before Halloween and Bonfire Night. And as soon as Christmas is over, it's Easter with the first of the Easter stock rolling in.

Sam

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

£0 :D

well, actually, £300 spent so far on hotel reservation. probably £300 and more on petrol/food/etc. on a week's holiday to Edinburgh and Newcastle. :D

because work closes during xmas week, and friends don't see eachother over that period, everyone heads to their parent's. it's easy to not give any presents :D although mousemats are a great idea. will get one for my housemate.

edit: this post needs more :D:D:D

Carrie likes this.
  19. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

We started doing a secret santa with a budget of £30 in my family as the expense was getting silly and both my parents are retired now. So I have the wife to buy for at £100-£150, secret santa present for my family and the wifes family then presents for the two family members under the age of 18 at about £30 each. Keeps Christmas time reasonable.

20. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

My Mrs sorts it all, I just don't look at our accounts until around February.. :rolleyes: