1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Cost of Christmas

Discussion in 'General' started by penryn 2 hertz, 4 Dec 2012.

1. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

about £6000 so far. god i want to top myself lol

2. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Fine, I'll take the psychological bait on this one.

Was it spent on the day, or on presents?

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Jizwizard is minted ;)

OK. How many of us atheists/agnosics celebrate Christmas, without actually believing in/caring about the birth of Jesus Christ. Or celebrate Easter without visiting church to celebrate his resurrection?

For me, Christmas is the ultimate ceremony of marketing and hype. We are a secular state by and large, and whilst I have no objection to spending time with family, enjoying good food and drink, and buying a few thoughtful gifts for the younger members of the family - I don't celebrate Christmas.

After all, if you're going to celebrate Christmas and Easter then why not celebrate all of these other occasions as well? They're all part of the same program, you just don't get gifts on all of them.

Religious folk may ignore my ramblings, good luck to you and enjoy your calendar, at least it has some meaning to you.

/sort of rant.

4. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Well, the pagans are the ones who really can enjoy Christmas..........;)

I celebrate Christmas, but am not a Christian. Call me a hypocrite, maybe, but again I think it's a camped up version of Pagan Winter Solstice.

If it can be nicked off of them, I can nick it from Christians.

As Shirty says though, If you happen to be religiously celebrating Christmas, then please don't take my ramblings to offence. It's just my belief and has no greater significance than your own :)

5. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

£5500 on a bathroom that the missus has made me do a bloody week before christmas. ill admit i trashed it in a drunken state by falling over and smashing the bath. the rest on pressies so far. and i am an atheist but i do it to stop the missus moaning

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Of course I mean no offence, it's the expectation that riles me. We are expected to extend ourselves to the brink of poverty to supply presents to those far better off than we are, and it hurts.

The fact that Christmas is just an arbitrary time of celebration for many people with no spiritual meaning rubs salt in the wound.

£100 is one sixth of our monthly food/fuel/incidental costs budget, and with that in mind we are unable to save a penny, ever. Hence the budget of £50 I referred to in my first post. In this instance most relatives will get a professionally shot photo of my daughter, along with a card. Nobody else gets a look in, however much I might want to treat them.

7. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

and good on you mate. its the thought not the expense that counts