1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis Was Terrible

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Jun 2010.

1. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

I thought the game was just way to easy on delta. Looks pretty though.

2. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Skipping review 9001. I enjoyed playing the game up until the alien parts. It was like they ran out of ideas and said **** it..add aliens. The CryEngine is sexy IMO but a resource whore.

I'm really sick of the Unreal Engine and wish other companies would opt for the CryEng.

3. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

Hmm... Thanks for explaining the 'sandbox' concept( no sarcasm intended, I'm seriously thanking you :) )

I agree with your 'wide corridors' statement. It seems that Crysis is a 'marmite' game.
    It certainly does lack in the story department and has AI that doesnt do it justice. But I really admire Crytek for their technical prowess with CryEngine 2. Now that they have achieved it, I hope they have concentrated their efforts into other elements of Crysis 2..

4. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

You da man. Thats the level where you have an m16 with enough bullets to kill the little monkey trigen, running towards you ready to insta swipe you to death in under 10 seconds, if you hit him with every single one. Then you have to leg it and jump blindly off a huge freaking waterfall, then dodge certain death many many times from them on. It was epic i tellz ya!

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Amen to that.

6. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Interesting that you consider 1920x1200 to be 'properly HD' when it isn't actually a standard HD resolution. Industry standard HD resolutions use the ratio of 16:9, not 16:10.

In terms of controllers I would agree that keyboard and mouse is good for some games but surpassed by controllers or input methods for many others. I never use to bother with console gaming much but Im not going to spend hundreds on my pc just for the gaming element when everything else still works fine. This is why I have a PS3 now (aswell as all the benefits of a PS3 of course)

7. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Cudo's to Craig, he's got the whole of bit-tech staff and community talking! I think, due to the style tho it would have been better recieved as a blog, the writers opinion, rather than a front page article for the bit-tech site. This was always going to happen, especially with a game like crysis that has lived for 3 years and is the subject of debate every other day. I'd clarify that I don't think it's fair to call the author arrogant, just the style of writing and chosen title of this piece. It sets out all the arguments for and against crysis that have been thrown around the Internet since it's release fairly well, many of it's criticisms I agree with, I'd love to stop a car dead with max strength!, others I don't, but I wouldn't have written the article from the crysis is terrible viewpoint as it's a personal preference.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2010
  8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

To clarify; the title was my choice.

9. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Or alternatively, don't pick up the gun and just run past the first trigen (can run faster without a gun), straight off the waterfall and run up the stream (in the water) to the river, then to the helicopter to trigger the cut scene. Following the cut scene just run straight up the hill to the armoury inside the walls. The human trigens are too slow to catch you

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

then i suggest you amend it before i write a 5000 word essay explaining why crysis was the best thing the pc gaming scene has had in 10 years.

11. CardJoe

N'ah. I'm too interested in reading your essay, to be honest.

Just bear in mind the difference between 'Favourite' and 'Objectively good'. Sin: Episodes is one of my favourite games for reasons I've written about in the blogs many times, but I still have to admit that it's rubbish.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

something to do tonight after im done tearing tiles off my bathroom wall :)

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

One has to admit, there are terrible parts, for example everything to do with the Aliens.

But one also has to admit, the human shooting was fun but the game was made for at the least unmodded delta.

Also, one has to remember, This game has a gigantic modding community, a community which has made this game incredible beyond belief.

14. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Roflmao... In walks Clint Eastwood... with a pencil

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

If only I could paint the forums red....

16. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Craig, Joe has it in for you!

17. Elton

Although it's not Eastwood:

The pen is mightier than the sword.

18. CardJoe

To me, mods are an entirely different argument. They don't count towards the quality of the game. There are many rubbish games with great mods which remain as rubbish games.

Just look at Oblivion and it's levelling-everything-to-match-you feature. There were many complaints about that. There were many mods that came out afterwards which fixed it. The fact that mods came afterwards to fix the issue doesn't negate the fact that it was a problem with the core game itself, nor redeem Bethesda for not noticing and fixing it at the time.

19. Elton

True it doesn't fix it, but it makes the game more play-worthy if you ask me.

Call it developer laziness, but by enabling mods, they still gain a bit more popularity than not. For one Far Cry 2 could've been much better with some area of modding capability it just doesn't have one making it....well that.

Of course when you count in quality, your statement is entirely valid, I just find that if a game has modding ability the potential for it to be better is more realized.

20. mitorious

mitorious What's a Dremel?

Personally I 'd like to see less link bait articles from Bit-Tech.

Crysis might have been very demanding but the plot was no worse than any other action game and it innovated with controls (something typically neglected on the PC) and had fantastic emergent gameplay and non-retarded AI that made me play it through 4-5 times.

OK, so the Alien bits at the end weren't as good; that puts it in quite good company amongst other PC luminaries doesn't it?

How was CryTek arrogant? Far cry was very popular and probably would have been more so had it not had the misfortune of going up against the much worse HL2. Far Cry was much liked and a similar sequel does not make the publisher arrogant. Games like Stalker have many problems but the publishers don't get branded as 'arrogant' because they make similar sequels do they?

Combine this nonsense with the nonsense that Far Cry 2 was underrated ( a terrible flawed game which had many 9/10 and 90%+ scores ) and I'm starting to loose any confidence in Bit-Tech. Seriously, do you REALLY think Crysis was that bad or is this an excuse for an attention grabbing headline?

Tags: Add Tags