1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Dear EA, take a running jump!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 15 Jun 2011.

1. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Whilst i'm fine with competition to Steam and all, it is rather disappointing since it's usually my first port of call for games.

And what's worse is that even if the Origin service is rather crap, it'll probably limp on simply due to their SWTOR exclusive-ness. I know me and a load of others see Origin as either the only way to secure our pre-order (they have a Pre-launch Guild Program which requires you to preorder and then register) or just to ensure that we can play on Day One.

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

And I looks like I'll be grabbing a retail copy of BF3 now. Can't see them going so far as to pull games from Steam while simultaneously releasing games on Steam.

3. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

+1. I'm not raging over this - yet - but it's bloody annoying. I like buying my games from Steam and have so far resisted the urge to install any of their competitors' systems. Crysis 2 has already been released, so removing it from the store is merely denying it to people who didn't buy it within some unspecified release period, and it's not a CD-key game.

This is tedious. I don't suppose anyone has a Steam copy they can gift me? I will pay over the odds...

4. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I don't get why some people are getting their knickers in a twist, I use EADM\Origin and it's fine (maybe EA could chuck a bit more bandwidth it's way might be my only grumble) but unlike Steam, once you have downloaded and installed your game, you don't need to login to Origin or have it running as a service just to play games bought from it.

Lighten up people

5. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

I was rather hoping to nab a copy of Crysis 2 in a sale thanks to the DX11 patch.
    I understand Origin is solely for download and install, which is fine. The problem I have is that 'we can ensure that your game will be vailable for download for atleast a year', paraphrased slightly but 'atleast a year' most certainly wasn't.
    I'm glad I recently backed up ALL my Steam games just incase any more EA games are going to disappear, since I assume you will no longer be able to redownload off Steam. I just have to hope my external HDD doesn't fail before I manage to commit them to physical media or a new HDD.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2011
  6. B1GBUD

EADM which looks suspiciously like the now new Origin was running for well over a year, Christ.. I even bought BF2 Euro Forces from it to give you an idea how long they've been doing this.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ok peoples, so where is the best place for me to pre-order my retail copy. I like Amazon but Game/Gameplay are doing the Physical Warfare pack for the same price....

The PW is the best one to get yeah?

8. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Other than EA Downloaded deleting my games randomly you mean, just "lighten up" about that?

I don't mean from my system, but from my EA account.

Thats why I don't trust an EA store.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Isn't Origin just EADM renamed?

I bought BF2142: Nothern Strike from EADM, terrible idea. Now I've got to remember my EADM account and password for just one little expansion. Much easier to just stick to one digital distributor and buy the rest in box.

10. DwarfKiller

After this alotted time how am I going to play my game? The main reason for me to backup my Steam games was because of being short on HDD space (and impending lack of internet). Sure, I CAN back it up but then there's the problem of HDD failures and optical media just being ridiculously easy to destroy.
    I'd rather not have to buy it again and I may very well not be able to since I doubt it'd still be up on Origin. Atleast with Steam I can pretty much guarantee being able to redownload/install and play until the death of Steam itself. Even then, I believe there have been some assurances of having access to the games for a limited time.

*edit*
    Thought I'd mention that you can only install the games on 3 machines in 10 days.
    Guess what counts as different machines?
    Interrupted downloads.

If you do need to install it more times, you have to wait for the first 'install' to expire. How can this be anything but detrimental to the consumer? Especially in light of Steam's efforts.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

12. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

Grr...

Definitely not very happy about this... Origin is shite, can't find any of my installed games...

13. B1GBUD

It's probably down to a de-dupe or something, EA have accounts on various systems and would just be a quick call to EA Support for it to be rectified, assuming of course that you have the patience to get beyond their scripted front line and escalate it to someone who knows what they're doing.

I've had games disappear from Steam too, even duplicates showing up.

Yes it was a re-brand, looks exactly the same tbh.

I've not come across any issues downloading and re-installing any games so far, how often are you talking about? and why would you want to install the same game on to 3 diffenent machines...in 10 days?

I'm pretty sure it couldn't be too hard to back up the installed files in much the same way, I'm sure it won't take EA to offer something similar. It would save them some bandwidth too.

14. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

Do we have any idea what these mysterious new 'business terms' are?

15. DwarfKiller

I think you may have missed the part where an interrupted download counts as a wasted install and the only reason I've backed up Steam is because I'll have no internet for quite some time (well, none I can download games through because of caps) and lack the HDD space to have them all installed. I'm certainly not willing to have them installed on an old external HDD.
    The 'atleast a year' implies that at some time they will no longer be available to download. I'll admit it's unclear whether this is how long they are keeping Origin going before pulling it down or whether they are dropping support for those games after that time. Neither exactly fill me with confidence in buying through Origin at this point.

16. B1GBUD

I thought part of the DL process was to verify the files after, in any case, I'm sure a call to support would sort it. Don't get me wrong, I love Steam, Origin is a little clunkier and not as well refined, it doesn't have anywhere near the quality and quantity as Steam but I'm sure EA aren't going to pull the plug any time soon.

17. DwarfKiller

I don't expect them to pull the plug on Origin either. It was just one possibility for the 'atleast a year'. If it had been 'the lifetime of Origin' I'd have a lot less to worry about but I'm going to err on the side of caution until it gets cleared up.

18. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i guess you better change that threat title Gunsmith...:hehe:

19. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Or we all wait for the inevitable return fire from valve and work out who to rage at after we've heard both sides ;)

20. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Seems its a policy issue with Crytek;

LINK