1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Dear EA, take a running jump!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 15 Jun 2011.

1. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Hey, who changed the thread title? I preferred the old one! :grr:

2. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

it's back on steam with all the DLC included too. Here

inb4 bf3 on steam

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

With all DLC. EA finally caved and added in the DLC stuff. I suspect that the games will find their way to steam eventually, BUT, only after release, to get a bit of a boost in sales as people go "Oooh! I can get it on steam now!"

BF3 on steam is likely still a ways off, Most people have bought Crysis 2 now, but some people are likely to dive on it come summer sales and actually cough up the £4.50 it'll cost or something (Like Moi.)

BF3, on the other hand, is still being distributed on Origin because it lets EA push the platform, "Buy the game? HAVE ORIGIN. TAKE IT YOU-ahem- yes, you like that, don't you?!"

I suspect we'll see it released on steam come closer to summer, or a long ways off, either to profit off the summer sales, or to hope the people who desperately hate origin give in and buy it. Then release it on steam towards the end of life on the game to let people have another stab at buying it.

This does mean that, theoretically, there could be a small resurgence in the game, but I doubt it. BF3 is big enough that almost everyone and their cat has it if they were looking forwards to it. Origin probably only put off one or two diehard people who are busy fondling Gabe Newell's gentlemanly parts.

(To Clarify: the reason there was the big Hullabaloo with EA and Steam in the first place is DLC: Valve basically say "If the game is available through us, all DLC must also be so." seems fair, No? Because of the changes some forms of Valve's DRM components of Steam impliment; Retail DLC doesn't always work. And vice versa, EA, however, refused to supply DLC through steam, supplying it only through Origin and a few other places, IIRC, [And the ME2 In-game store.] So steam looked at the contract violation and dropped the games, EA walked off having been torn a new one and tried to patch it with the artificial replacement that is Origin. Thankfully Updates have rendered Origin somewhat better than it was at release, although it could probably still do with a bit of tweaking.)