1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Did Something Launch Today?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 25 Mar 2011.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

erp my bad! I blame it on the burlap sack I was sniffing all day today

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

That didn't make any sense to me, can you elaborate?

Did you mean the closed nature of the Apple devices?
    Did you mean the lack of flash?
    Or did you mean these and/or something else?

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i like it and im one of the biggest apple haters you can find.

I think as a device it is useful, it works and gives excellent return on investment

(no longer do i have to sit and watch shite TV i can just play on hte ipad whilst my GF is

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

"Apple users have no moral center!"

Sorry Nexxo just kidding, I couldn't resist.

Back on topic. As you know from my previous posts I am no fan of Apple but I own and have owned Apple products.

I didn't own an Apple iPhone3 but do own an iPhone4. Just a quick question, is the iPad2 to the iPad1 a similar upgrade? If you own an iPad1 as I do, is the iPad2 a justifiable upgrade?

5. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Had no idea, not read up on the specs, still 2 graphics chips needed for enough grunt to play 1920x1080 videos? I realise that low power consumption will be one of their highest priorities but still.

Also my post was in reply to the post above and tablets in general

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Talking as someone who is playing Crysis2 (and Crysis) on G92 hardware (smoothly), both at full detail. The Apple marketing has been so effective that a lot of people say iPod instead of MP3 player, so when people go out to but an MP3 player they will go with what they have heard of most and buy an iPod without really looking at what the competition has to offer, while the iPod has a great UI, other features like sound quality, battery life and flexibility etc. are often bettered by competing products for a lower price.

Sony is an interesting one, you may pay for the name with some of their products, but with others they deliver better quality than some equipment that you would pay more than double or triple the price for, MDR EX300 earphones are a prime example. With a decent quality MP3 player and well encoded files (the lame codec keeps much more of the lost frequencies and clarity than other codec's I've tested) they deliver what I would equate to as HD sound, although using MP3's it's probably closer to the low bandwidth 1080HD that TV services offer than Blu-ray. It's a great find for £30-£40, considering that for a long time after their release you'd have to pay well over £100 for the same kind of listening experience.

The MDR EX500's on the other hand are £80 from the sony store (£50-£70 in most other places, I picked mine up for less than £40, a while ago Tesco had them on offer for a tenner) They offer twice the capacity at 200mw (Specs on the Sony site aren't the same as the ones on the back of the box or the instructions) and better (106db) sensitivity, the justification for the extra price is the multi layered diaphram which is essentially having the equivalent of a tweeter added to a speaker. On the equipment I listen to them on and the music I listen to, that equates to a very slightly improved treble, but only very slightly, I'd say the ex300's are 97% there.

8. Pot Of Jam

Pot Of Jam What's a Dremel?

Well I'm glad it came out, got a iPad 1 for 100 less.

Why do people slag off people with apple products?

When buying my iPhone I use a HTC hero and although it was good the apps were lame and the batt life was shocking. My iPhone 3GS is 18 months old and still gets 2 days use, my mates new desire doesn't last the day.

I think android users are just jealous cos they can't afford the original smart phone for the masses.

9. doggy

doggy Cave Canem

Personally it is the sickly fingers down throat branding and marketing of the Apple products that drives me away. I don't want my product to come in 3 different shades of pink or only have 1 button and not be able to tamper too much with the hardware/software because Mr Apple doesn't think as a consumer i am capable of thinking outside the box so to speak....

We do have an Ipad in the house i bought a 2nd hand one for my 7 year old son and he finds them a lot more simplistic and easier to use than conventional laptops or computers, which is precisely why i don't want one..

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah deders.. lame did an experiment awhile back with audiophiles- and they found they couldn't tell the difference between a well encoded lame track and the raw wav

come a long way in encoding since the early 90's.. remember all the proprietary compression back then- it was so bad but harddrives were like 200 mb

so you'd run out of room editing without compression.. and the sound quality was'nt any good

apples proprietary compressor isn't too bad, but when you convert a compressed track to another compressed format, gonna lose some fidelity

11. lbyg2011

lbyg2011 What's a Dremel?

yeah, either does the 1st ipad, they are rubbish really to be fair if you think about it, people on get them because when they came out they were like a trend, but whats the point in them wiht no disk drive/usb ports etc etc, they are just a really sexy tablet haha !!!

12. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

heres food for thought. The LG Optimus 2X, beats the Ipad2 at both startup times and loading angry birds. So yeh. Pathetic, expensive and doesnt even beat the hardware specifications of those with Tegra 2. Fanboy much? No, but factual benchmarking hero, Yes.

13. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Woah, woah, woah. The reason why you don't want an iPad, is because its more simplistic and easier to use? Now I've heard everything.

14. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

:duh:

15. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

simplistic and easier to use is not always good..... my Fischer price computer is a hell of a lot easier to use than my desktop, but doesn't do anything close to what the desktop does. Same thing with the iPad, it is simple and easy to use, but doesn't have the power or usefulness (IMHO, tablets in general fall into this catagory) of a laptop, netbook, desktop, or any other computer. Just not having a physical keyboard is a big stumbling block for me personally.

16. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I really thought that would drive me mad, and was planning to get some kind of case with a keyboard (like the excellent zaggmate), but I find I can type almost as fast on the ipad's on screen keyboard as I can on a real one (and I've only had the ipad for a week).

17. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

18. uz1_l0v3r

You can get a keyboard attachment, although I dare say it's extortionately priced.

19. uz1_l0v3r

Some Americans say "could care less", very annoying.

20. kempez

kempez modding again!

You can buy the Apple wireless keyboard, which you can pick up second hand for about £30.

Tags: Add Tags