1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Dimensions for anyone making their own case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DeX, 25 Jan 2003.

1. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

I'll be using this for my plexi case in progress... Thanks a lot of info

2. HQ08-Modder

HQ08-Modder What's a Dremel?

Hey first post, currently planning a suitcase mod and im wondering what are the dimensions fo a notebook hard drive. I mgiht get one of these isntead of a normal hard drive due to the notebook hard drive hopefully being slimer. And also what are the dimensions of a slim drive?

3. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

dunno off hand - but as said earlier in this thread www.formfactors.org will probably have what you need.

4. RancidFlannel

RancidFlannel What's a Dremel?

notebook HD

dont get a laptop HD unless absolutely necessary. there are plenty of other things in a suitcase than can be smaller. a notebook HD is less powerful, more expensive, and only an inch thinner width wise, half an inch height wise. better to take off the case to your power supply and move stuff around from that. also, a much better way to conserve space is to use a slim CD drive--you use it less, the price doesnt go up as much, and you gain more room

5. HQ08-Modder

HQ08-Modder What's a Dremel?

This suticase mod will be for folding and yer i've decided on everything. I might leave out the cd drive, connect it when installing windows then keep it out. Im nto sure 200w power supply is enough for decent oc :(

Newayz, ta fo rhte site having a look around now.

6. RancidFlannel

RancidFlannel What's a Dremel?

what is the size of the screws that are used everywhere in a case?

7. mod-ern man

mod-ern man What's a Dremel?

Reading Papeniglio's post earlier you'll see that fasteners that are used for the exterior of the case, power supply, to hold in expansion cards, and to hold down the mobo are 6-32 hex head screws. Hard drives are also secured by 6-32 screws but they are usually round head phillips. Floppy and CD/DVD units use M3 screws.

I have no idea why the mix of imperial & metric.

:) Cheers

Last edited: 25 Nov 2003
  8. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

any have the time to combine this thread with this one? I would but I can't justify the time at the moment...

edit: see below \/

9. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

just to let everyone know that if you go here, i have strted collecting sketchup models for the major components.

10. tomek

tomek What's a Dremel?

Hello people, its almost the end of 2003.
    So what??
    In next Year we will be surrounded by system based on BTX standard. I think the cases witch we building now should be "redy for BTX" or else ...

Besides, there is no fun like moding :)))

Greetings.

11. jorgito2004

jorgito2004 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys... any1 have a "sample" case in autocad or something... with everything measured? so i could edit it, and take it to my local acrylics shop. I would want to do them on my own and then find out something doesn't fit.

12. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZapWizard
    This is very good information.
    I would like to see the spots for the screw holes.
    (For people who make their own case)

still looking?....I need a host

13. bilbo

bilbo What's a Dremel?

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Bump! Anyone got a chart that displays the dimensions of a PCI mounting plate? I need the size of the gap you use to mount PCI and AGP cards for a custom case. :)

15. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

BTW, full length PCI/ISA/AGP cards are 331mm long :eeek: although, you'll never see one that size unless you want an ISA 16-bit sound card in your case! :D

16. Mudslag

Mudslag What's a Dremel?

Ditto

17. ZeroX

ZeroX What's a Dremel?

I just LOVE this thread, it's great!!! :clap:

can a mod PLZ make this thread into a sticky!!

18. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

[ATX] refers to dimensions I found or reverse engineered from the ATX 2.1 specs. [AGP] refers to the AGP pro 1.0 specs that I used for vertical dimensions, mainly fig 4.1A. [BS] refers to bracket specs avilable from various manufacturers such as Purcell Brackets or Gompf Brackets. All dimensions are in inch.

The center to center spacing between the I/O cutouts is 0.8 [ATX] for all slots, even if you mix AGP, ISA and PCI. The openings are 0.5 wide and reach up to 0.4 [AGP] below the top of the ledge where the brackets screw on. The shields of PCI cards are around 0.75 wide for sideways clearance. The center of the first slot to the edge of the ATX I/O shield is 0.5 [ATX], that's 0.4 for half the slot and 0.1 [ATX] keepout around the I/O shield.

Watch out at the other end of the ATX I/O shield. The cutout sticks out 0.096 [ATX] beyond the MB plus there the 0.1 keepout.

The cutout for the I/O shield starts 0.088 [ATX] below the MB (assumed positioned horizontal). Since most MBs are 0.062 thick that is 0.15 below the top, which most drawings actually use.

The ledge where the PCI brackets screw on is 4.26 [AGP] above the top of the MB, but make it at least 4.27 so cards don't bend the motherboard if they are at the tall side of tolerance, +/-0.005 [AGP].

The screw holes for the PCI brackets are located 0.2 [BS] from the edge of the ledge, but I'm not sure about the distance from the center of the slot. I get another number for each manufacturer. Does anyone know the official numbers?

<This is my first post, I don't know how to put in a picture yet (tried but failed). E-mail me if you want a CAD drawing of what I have figured out so far.>

Last edited: 6 Nov 2004
  19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I've recently been considering something similar, and found this:- Notebook HDD manual. Actual dimensions including mounting holes are on page 44 of the pdf file.

20. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

whats the "standard PSU" dimensions??

Tags: