1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Do you use anti-virus software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hiren, 30 Dec 2010.

?

Do use anti-virus software at home?

Poll closed 29 Jan 2011.
  1. Yes (paid)

21.9%
  2. No

12.3%
  3. Yes (free)

65.8%
  1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

AdBlocker and NoScript in firefox and avast free edition for my AV. I also use Mcafee site advisor in FF.

2. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Best in what regard? I think you'll find not everyone here will agree with all your choices.

Personally, I use MSE, for its unobtrusive nature and lightweight operation, plus good integration with existing MS security features, rather than aftermarket software clashing. Used to use Avast, but something ended up putting me off it (not sure what though), while AVG just got heavier and more obtrusive, which I found annoying.

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

TBH, Avast integrates well with the Microsoft tools and action center.

4. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2011.

If you live in the UK and have a Barclays account, registering for online banking will get you a free subscription for one year.

Kaspersky is the best AV at the moment in my opinion.

For anyone using this thread as a way to choose AV software I recommend you have a look at AV-Comparitives. There you'll find independent tests on all the big names, along with many you probably haven't heard of, and all the reports are available in concise pdf summaries so you don't need to trawl through pages of information if you don't want to.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2011
  5. sWW

sWW Minimodder

I'm using avast free edition and have been for about the past 2 years. Be it luck or otherwise, I am yet to get a virus on my machine.

6. tony007

tony007 What's a Dremel?

I tried mse for a year I ran numerous scans with it and it never found anything this maybe because my system was clear but I was running the odd online scan and things were found so this is the reason I dont rate mse and have gone back to my old anti virus avira which has never let me down. I know everybody wont agree but the best three in my opinion are avira malwarebytes and superantispyware.

7. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

KIS 2010 - free with Barclays account
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

8. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

All the work machines use NOD32, was using AVG free on the home laptop but the missis recently managed to pick up something dodgy on that so it'll be upgraded to NOD32 this week.
    The only other antivirus I'd consider is Avast, but only because it sounds piratey.

9. 1-0-1

1-0-1 Nothing interesting to put here.

Microsoft Security Essentials on all three computers in the household. Two laptops and one desktop computer.

I have been running it since it came out of BETA and never had virus infection that it could not handle. Brilliant free product!

10. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

MSE. It's quite good.

11. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

I am one of those (without the claim to never have had a virus), however I do have Avira and spybot s&d installed on my computer but I keep them off/disabled by default (I'm very minimalist with respect to my computer). I can tell when I have a virus on my computer because I'm pretty in tune with my machine. I pay attention to the the list of running processes, check my startup for things I never added, run process explorer when things seem oddly slow, and I'm very careful about which sites I go to and what things I download. I run a manual scan of most things that I do download as well (with avira, right click any file and select "scan for virus with avira").

I wouldn't claim to never have had a virus, I've had plenty. It's just that the majority of these I've been able to clean up manually and if all else fails, Run Avira and/or Spybot S&D. I try to manually clean it up before running an antivirus because it can usually clean it up quicker than doing a virus scan.

I just think of an anti-virus as more of a tool than an outright defense against viruses. The trade-off in performance is usually not worth it to me to keep one running in the background.

12. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Avira have saved my bacon over the past couple of weeks, getting rid of a batch of trojans. Didn't realise they were celebrating their 25th Anniversary so the three-user licence is down to €23.60/£20. I might as well take the rest of the PCs in the family up to the full version for a year. Single licences under the offer are £13, only 70p more than the Xmas offer.

It updates itself every 2hrs which is annoying for some but I just run it manually before playing a game to get around that. I think the top package has a gaming mode, but the middle (Premium) package is just too cheap and the Windows Firewall is adequate in Win7-64.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2011
  13. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

malwarebytes is great, and ccleaner.

14. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

I have to agree with you on that MSE is great saved my bacon yesterday after i clicked on a bf3 link in teamspeak I got 2 instances of Rogue.Win32/Winwebsec MSE removed them instantly after I stopped the process in process manager Brilliant free anti virus software highly reccommended

15. Gould

Gould What's a Dremel?

I'm another Kaspersky IS 2011 user. Used KAV/KIS for a number of years now but have been tempted by MSE recently.

16. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

No anti virus on my gaming rig, just spybot S and D and ccleaner with comodo

17. emilyjohnson

emilyjohnson What's a Dremel?

I use AVG 2011 Free Edition.

18. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

have been using nod32 for some years now and love it. I also have adblock and noscript on firefox, ad-aware, s&d, and ccleaner although i'm a bit lazy running some of them.

19. Zetax

Zetax What's a Dremel?

nod32 all in one