1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware EVGA Classified SR-2 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 17 Aug 2010.

1. godsmack_dmx

godsmack_dmx What's a Dremel?

It's meaningless.

If you want a gaming PC you won't buy it, and if you own a company you won't buy it.

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

"No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die"

Seriously though, Bindi, don't stick your, er, finger in the laser cutter.

3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

But does it do the ironing & make cups of tea?....

4. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

It's certainly hot enough too :lol:

5. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Sorry but I have to explain my earlier post.

It's like going to a public toilet and peeing next to a chap 2 foot taller than you. This board "potentially" can own all in a hell of alot of areas no other decent MB can. Yes it's pricey along with the rest of the components but you know if you had the money, you would do it.

Right, I'm off to go through my spam emails for those penis enlarger pills!

6. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

7. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

This brings back sweet memories of my old MSI board with dual PIII 933's, had that for ages

8. Lehmann

Lehmann What's a Dremel?

putting in 4 gpu's for folding in a 24 threat rig is a waste. those gpu's are stealing enough cpu time to kill most of the points they gain.

9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

If you read my earlier comment you'll see that this is not the case. Adding the GPUs does increase the total ppd, versus solely folding on the CPU cores.

10. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

Not much point reviewing a multi core, multi cpu board with an old version in that case. x264 was heavily revised for Nehalem because the old one had issues.

Why not just forget Handbrake, its junk anyway and will always be outdated. Make a .bat file and let it rip, then you know your getting the core speed from x264 without distractions. (ie filters)

11. mikkig

mikkig Big Giant Robot

I think it's pretty amazing that for 2.5k + another 1/1.5k for case, psu and other parts you can essentially have a super computer on your desk. If you were a science start-up or small animation studio the bang for buck seems incredible.

12. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

Which reminds me, if Handbrake is using any filters in its script that are not multi-core enabled, it will always run at the lowest common denominator no matter which version of x264 your running.

Now we are getting into the realms of 12+ cores, think its time to come up with an effective test.

13. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

It's on the to do list :)

Unfortunately, coming up with an application that meets all of our criteria is pretty hard (scriptable, distributable, consistent results, real-world app that enthusiasts have heard of and use).

If you, or anybody else has any suggestions, I'm more than willing to investigate them. After all, we want the benchmark results to be meaningful to you guys.

14. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

x264 HD Benchmark is a long established metric and is distributable with consistent results. ;)

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=520&pgno=0

15. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Ha makes me laugh how some people always try to knock what they don't have, its a great board- prob the best you can get! If you can afford it get it, if not get an asus... simple. You wouldn't turn round to someone who drives a porsche or ferrari an say, your car is pointless, why use one of those as a form of tansport when you can get a much more sensible car like my fiat panda lol!!! An the reason why you wouldn't... beause you'd look like a foooool.

16. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

That's like saying you wouldn't hire a prostitute if you're happily married :hehe:

It does happen.

17. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Sorry, forgot to add this yesterday...

Maybe worth adding an N.B on page 8 to indicate the older version of Cinebench R10 can only utilize a maximum of 16 threads so isn't the best benchmark for dual six core Xeons though i understand why it was included in the review.

18. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Dam I would love one. But it means i would have to re-mortgage my sole to the oil barons mmm

19. gazchaz

gazchaz What's a Dremel?

Would it be possible to install/power 7x EVGA GTX 480 Hydro Copper cards onto this motherboard, as they are single slot?

20. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

If you had a big enough PSU, or more realistically 3-4 PSUs daisy changed together then yes, it should be possible as the first card would have 16 PCI-E lanes and the remaining 7 cards 8 PCI-E lanes each.

Tags: Add Tags